got a Canon Powershot S400 camera? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
I know many of you are photographers, and I wanted to pass on some info that may enable you to get a lot more use out of your camera. I discovered that some Canon Powershot S400 cameras have an internal communication problem that can make it difficult or impossible to turn on at times, and if it can be turned on, sometimes it's unable to take a photo. Canon realizes that this should not be occurring, and they'll fix the problem free of charge, with free shipping to their service center, even if the warranty period is over. To learn more about it, click here.

My camera had worked flawlessly for 2 years before it began to have this trouble. I'm so happy to see that Canon is giving it excellent after-sales support.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Good info! Most cameras that can communicate with a computer via a USB cable also will have firmware that can be upgraded. While obviously that's not the fix for this particular problem, you should regularly check the website of the manufacturer of your camera to see if there are firmware upgrades available for your camera.

Just make sure you follow their instructions explicitly. There is always risk of damaging the camera during a firmware upgrade if the power is switched off inadvertently or other buttons are pushed. Unfortunately, that may render your camera un-useable and require a trip to their factory authorized repair center.

I have never experienced any problems upgrading the firmware on any of my cameras though!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Best to keep it simple.
Greg Janke is offline   Reply With Quote