GPS - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Glad to hear a bunch of you are geocaching with your GPS's...... I've been doing it for about four years now and it is a most enjoyable way to get out in the woods for a nice hike and to find some treasure. I have 82 finds to my credit so far on geocaching.com....Matter of fact i just went out and bought a new compass today.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #22

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
For those of you still getting lost even with your Garmin GPS, Garmin has just released a map update (City Navigator North America NT 2009 Map Update). Who knows... it might help.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Glad to hear that Garmin is releasing a new map version. Oregon based businesses need the revenue. The old version was not as good as Magellan offerings, especialy for city use. I purchased higher end (4.3" display) Garmin and a Magellan and compared each. I took the Garmin back to Costco and kept the Magellan 4040. I use the Magellan for city driving in cities that I don't know because the way they detail street names is better than Garmin. I use a Lowrance I-Way 500c for back country and long trips because the mapping detail of secondary roads and historical sites is better than the Magellan. Like Byron says, it's like Chevy and Ford to most people but, for me, it's the better mapping detail of the Magellan.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #24

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
We recently bought the Garmin Nuvi 750 - has a new feature called 'where am I?' that instantly tells you where the closest fuel, police and hospital are located from your current position. We thought that would be a handy feature on the road. We also like the the voice telling you street names - less distraction because you don't need to look at the map while driving. We have been testing it out in the area - places that we know how to get to (or thought we did ) For example - headed to Amity, OR Daffodil Festival - been there several times:
Husband: 'Are you sure you typed in Amity?'
Wife: 'Yes'
Husband: 'Did she (Lola, aka the Garmin) just say Wheatland Ferry Road?'
Husband and Wife: 'Are we going on the ferry?'
Lola: 'Board ferry and then get off'
So we got to the Amity Daffodil Festival but not the way we usually would have gone.

Pete - good luck on your choice (and I like your mother-in-laws philosophy)
Daniel - thanks for the heads up on the city map update

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #25

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
We don't have one...but we do have a cute story about one! Last year friends purchased one and so when we went camping together to Larabee State Park we followed them. We turned in behind them and sure enough there was an archway saying Larabee State park and a park ranger in a booth collecting camp fees. Instead of getting into line our friends pulled to the side and one of them walked back to let us know that this wasn't the right place. We then followed them back onto the road and headed another 10K or so down the road to a dark access road with a barrier across. We still tease them about this! I gather that was the old entranceway.

So remember a little common sense is also needed
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My brother was on a trip in his vintage MG. One of the other fellows said he need to go to a costco, put in the address, followed the GPS directions, ended up in a field beside a subdivision. After a few laughs they spoke to a guy cutting his grass. The Costco was going to be built there, but was instead built 2 roads over because of zoneing. The GPS unit was very accurate, just not quite perfect
Paul Riehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #27

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I use GPSs regularly. I wouldn't leave home without one. At the moment, I'm driving a Class D expedited delivery truck for FedEx Custom Critical. When I get a dispatch for a pickup and delivery all I have is addresses for two locations that can be cross country from each other. The directions and instructions I get from my dispatcher about how to get from point A to B are sketchy at best. No pun intended, I'd be lost without a GPS.

The big drawback for me is none of the GPS truly take commercial vehicles into consideration. The GPS in my truck du jour is a Garmin Nuvi. It. like all of its predecessors, is always directing me down streets that are restricted to vehicles sized like mine. A few times its told me to go under bridges that are not as high as my truck. So of course, I absolutely do not rely 100% on the GPS directions.

Whatever GPS system you are using or considering, they are tools. IMO, they are tools to be used in conjunction with other tools to help you plan a route. As long as its telling me an interstate or a state route I'll believe it. Once it says anything street or road I start calling for additional directions. I have lots of maps, rulers and magnifying tools in my truck. I also have multiple cell phones to use when the dreaded faded signal happens while talking to the one person at the plant who can articulate which streets around the location are part of the truck route.

To find the road less traveled, GPS are dubious. If no one is using the road you almost have to be on it for it to register on my system. If I put in an obscure road from several states away, the GPS can't locate it. When I'm near the destination it will do a screen jitter and find where I want to go.

For camping and traveling, I'd pretty much use a GPS like I do when I'm working, with caution.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
My wife like wineries. I have found on the WEB many wineries by state and loaded them in to the GPS.
So were ever we are I can look up a winery and we can go tasting. Sweet.
Also When we are home wife wife's job send her to different stores and she uses the GPS all the time.
She says it's the best thing ever. ( and she no longer has to call me for directions)
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote