Gravel Shield stolen from Scamp parked in driveway - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #21

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Locking things often results in damage to what you are trying to protect.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Locking the rock guard screams out.. "this is not just a piece of scrap fiberglass that someone threw some hardware on to use as a cover.. its much more valuable than that!"
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
In my experience people will, at times, steal things that have an oblique meaning to them just to “hang it up” somewhere. It is also possible that someone with a scamp needed to “acquire” a replacement for one of theirs that was damaged, lost or stolen.
We opened a new municipal pool in 1987. The men who finished the floors in the locker room got too much epoxy and not enough sand in the mix and the floors turned out slippery. Especially for wet, barefooted people. We scheduled a refinishing as a punch list requirement as soon as the pool closed about Labor Day. In the meantime I ordered, received and installed 12 signs, six for each locker room, male and female. I went on vacation. The night we got back my family and I went for a ride with me. I stopped at the pool to see how things had been going for the last 10 days. The pool was closed for the day but the manager and head guard were there. I walked the locker rooms where we had installed the signs and 3M non-skid strips. In the men’s side all signs were in place. In the ladies side every fiberglass sign had been peeled off the walls leaving only the four screws and a little fiberglass tab under the screw. Puzzled, I noted that I’d have to get more signs.
Back to the car my 11 year old daughter was rocking out to a pop song on the radio. I turned the volume down. She protested and said “Dad, don’t turn that down, it’s Jon Bon Jovi with the title cut off of his new album, “ Slippery when wet”.
The light went on, the song fell off the charts by the next spring we had a nice non skid floor but I learned a lesson there.
What makes no sense to you might make sense to someone else. Wonder if those girls grew up and straightened out or are they now out there stealing Scamp rock guards somewhere?
Another “you can’t make this stuff up” anecdote by:
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #24

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Hi Pat, is it the larger Scamp Decal by chance? If so, I would really appreciate that. Jars, yes, I will be buying some mini padlocks as well. I borrowed a rivet gun from my neighbor and hope to find someone who can help me attach the hardware. I just have never used one before. If anyone is in the San Diego or So Cal area that is comfortable with rivets, I’m happy to drive.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Another “you can’t make this stuff up” anecdote by:
Iowa Dave

And, much appreciated.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #26

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Well, I think the replacement project requires an update. It is not as simple as it appears. As Jon noted, the original Scamp shield is cut from the original window cut out so it fits exactly. The replacement shield is cut from stock fiberglass and isn’t exactly flush or square (rectangle in this case) or curved for that matter, which comes into play later. There are no instructions so one must look at the picture to see how hardware is attached (Hardware comes in a bag, with no rivets, though rivets are required). One must guess the length of the rivet (calling wasn’t helpful). After attaching top “hanging’ hardware, the tension mechanism at the bottom of the shield proved problematic. Because of the off-square shape and the lack of curve, it required the depth of 8 washers to be used as spacers in order for the clasp to shut properly, requiring bolts instead of rivets. I hope this makes sense. I’d take pictures, but it proved too complicated for me so I have a guy who is still working on it, sigh. Pics to come.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #27

Name: Jeff
Trailer: scamp
Kansas
Registry
Windows

While replacing my old scratched faded windows, I used the old windows to size the new windows and window rock guards. It was a lot of work and the uses of a laminate router and straight cutting bit. Jeff in Kansas
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Robin, how about the neighbor you borrowed the rivet gun from?
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp