Gravel Shield stolen from Scamp parked in driveway - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Gravel Shield stolen from Scamp parked in driveway

I don't understand why some people will just take what doesn't belong to them! We are planning a camping trip so our 16ft Scamp was parked in our driveway for a few days while we prepared to take off. Last night, someone lifted the gravel shield off of the window on our Scamp. Now, I doubt they needed it as I have never seen another Scamp in our area, but for some reason, they felt the had to have it, I guess. So frustrating! It will cost over $60 for ground shipping alone to replace and the shield itself is $170. This is a cautionary tale. I will now buy some locks for it so it's not as easy to lift. At least they didn't damage the shell or break into the camper I guess, so that's a good thing. Just so frustrating!
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's just wrong! And worse, the replacement will be a flat piece of fiberglass and won't fit snugly to the window like the original, which was made from the window cutout.

It may not come with the hardware, either- check with Scamp on that. If needed, member Ian Giles (https://www.campingtreasures.com/pro...ainless-steel/) sells a higher quality, stainless steel replacement hardware kit.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Unfortunately, we always seem to have these low life types around. They take what ever they can steal, generators, coolers, camping equipment, batteries, solar panels etc. A couple of years back we returned to our trailer to find someone had stolen the cap from the sewer outlet complete with the string and screw that held the string in place.
A new cap cost me $8.
Who would steal an $8 "used" sewer cap, likely contaminated with whatever was drained from the grey/black water tanks?
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
These days, most law breakers simply get away Scott Free (and its' been that way for years).They know it so, there's VERY little "downside" to their criminal activity. Had you been able to confront the thief and injured him, YOU probably would have been in MORE trouble than the thief would be in. Until that changes, don't expect to see any improvements in society.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I assume it had the SCAMP decal on it. I also assume that if it did NOT have the Scamp decal on it, then no one would have bothered to steal it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:44 PM   #6

California
Yup, it was the original gravel shield with the SCAMP decal. It makes me question some people’s motives. What possible use or reason could they have???
Old 05-10-2021, 07:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
Yup, it was the original gravel shield with the SCAMP decal. It makes me question some people’s motives. What possible use or reason could they have???

Maybe somebody stole theirs.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:49 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
I removed the Scamp decal and use the gravel guard to collect travel decals. If it makes it less of a target, all the better.

@Glenn… Pretty sure it was removed by aliens wanting to see whether the baby earthling inside looked dangerous.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:11 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I guess you are sure that it did not blow off?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #10

California
I’m sure, it was clasped shut, there’s no way it was blown off. I ordered a new one and will shake it off, it’s just not as easy to shake off my mistrust of others now. We need to return to the golden rule approach on how we treat others.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #11

Name: Phil
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Wisconsin
$170 plus $60?

Bast@rds.....$170 plus $60 shipping? When I bought my Bigfoot it did not have a rock shield. If I knew how much a new one costs, I would have negotiated a little. $900 Canadian shipped to the U.S. Good thing the exchange rates were favorable so it only cost me $720. (It came without stickers).
Rx2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:08 PM   #12

California
Yikes! That's crazy $$$. Well, the new gravel shield arrived, but sadly, without the nice big SCAMP Logo that the original piece had. They included 2 small Scamp Logo stickers, but it's just not the same
Also, It came with unattached hardware but not the rivets that I need to attach it with. I don't have a rivet gun and I've never riveted anything in my life, so the cost just keeps going up and up. I've watched a few youtube demo's on how to use a rivet gun, but I really don't want to mess it up so have posted on Next-door to find someone who may be able to help me (I'll pay them of course). I'll be able to shake off the theft once everything is intact, but I am still just frustrated that this happened. I guess if it's not locked tight or nailed on, some people see opportunity to take what's not there's. As for the Scamp itself, I always have a double hitch lock system on it so hopefully it deters "would be" camper thieves. I LOVE my Scamp and am looking forward to driving from San Diego to central Oregon this summer with my daughter and her friend (a two week trip) and visit friends and explore towns along the way.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Our storage shed was burglarized on Thursday. They pried off one of the exterior siding panels while no one was home. Lost some tools, camping gear, and the old First-Up canopy that graced most of our campsite photos. Oddly they left the brand new EZ-Up we bought last year.

But the saddest loss for me was the Coleman propane camp stove I’ve used for 36 years. It was one of the first sold with electronic ignition. Not much to look at any more, but it has been a reliable friend on many adventures.

Letting go, moving on… Looks like I’ll be searching some old threads to choose a good replacement stove.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #14

California
That's just heartbreaking. Items of sentimental value, that can't be replaced, being stolen by people who just don't care. I loved my old propane stove that I used as a backpacker. My former husband still has it, and uses it, I'm sure. Maybe post it on next-door but don't expect to ever get it back
I'm so sorry to hear that happened. I am definitely going to get a lock for my new window cover. I don't think I'll ever feel safe having Scamp in the driveway while I prepare it for trips. We may put a small wifi camera on it from now on, sigh.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:47 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Time to move.............?
Old 05-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #16

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Our storage shed was burglarized on Thursday. They pried off one of the exterior siding panels while no one was home. Lost some tools, camping gear, and the old First-Up canopy that graced most of our campsite photos. Oddly they left the brand new EZ-Up we bought last year.

But the saddest loss for me was the Coleman propane camp stove I’ve used for 36 years. It was one of the first sold with electronic ignition. Not much to look at any more, but it has been a reliable friend on many adventures.

Letting go, moving on… Looks like I’ll be searching some old threads to choose a good replacement stove.
Jon, so sorry! The feeling of violation after something like this is awful. When we were moving three years ago, someone backed a truck up to our old house and shopped the whole house in the middle of the night. Many things did not matter, but they did take my wedding dress, which I’d been hoping to save for my daughter
Old 05-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Time to move.............?
Fear is a really poor reason to move, because you take it with you. To paraphrase Tolkien, you can wall yourself in, but you cannot wall the world out.

That is not to say we won’t be taking some common sense actions to prevent a repeat.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:36 PM   #18

Name: marant
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Texas
Dorm room wall?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #19

Name: Patricia
Trailer: ECO & Casita
California
Registry
i’m in the antelope valley, and have an unused scamp decal for the rock guard. it came with my rock guard and hardware. it’s yours if you want it
Pat Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:16 PM   #20

Name: Jeff
Trailer: scamp
Kansas
Registry
Sure is sad to here what happened with your gravel shield. With what happened to you we will be putting little paddle locks on ours.
jars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp