Great fiberglass class C/B ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Great fiberglass class C/B ?

Just took the time to watch a most interesting presentation of a well designed fiberglass RV......Leisure Van ‘s 2018 WONDER FTB.
I am in the market for a compact motor home. I have been a RV Traveler since
1983. This is the best thought out RV design and layout I have ever seen.
If you watch their video you will be amazed how well designed this compact Wonder really is. Perfect for two !!! Difficult to label this one....class C. Or
Class B. ???

My quest was for a unit that I could park in my driveway in a restricted space.
This RV had everything a traveling couple could want with every upgrade and features I have never seen in one place and time in any RV.

Give this unit a look and you just might agree !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #2

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Wow, looks beautiful and I agree about all the innovative design ideas. But it's way, way out of my price range. We're thinking about building a DIY van and this gives me some new ideas. Thank you!
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you look at the specifications for this unit you will see that IT IS NOT A MOLDED FIBERGLASS RV. It is very easy to get all excited and think just because they use the word fiberglass in their description that it is the same type of construction as the made in molds, fiberglass RVs this forum is focused on. This new RV is not a molded fiberglass RV, it does has fiberglass in the paneling that is attached to the aluminum framing the RV is constructed with but it is not the same method of construction as spraying fiberglass into a mold.

The information in quotes is from their website.

"Roof – Domed Vacuum Bonded Aluminum Framed Insulated FRP Flexroof"

"Sidewalls – Contoured Vacuum Bonded Aluminum Framed Insulated with Gel Coat Fiberglass
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #4

North Carolina
K Corbin, When it comes to RVs please note I am not a newbie. I have been an RV Traveler since 1983. I have owned a few RV travel trailers and am currently researching compact motor homes. The example by Leisure Vans fits my needs and you seem to have overlooked the many well thought out features this unit has while concentrating on “molded fiberglass sprayed into a mold”.
You seem to be a “true believer” with limited focus.

The only short coming in this Motorhome is price...a bit too rich for my current resources as I am retired.
Another concern is the new Ford platform it is built on. My target is a used class C Motorhome. This will control the purchase price.
I have owned travel trailers built to similar specifications as this unit and find the metal stud frames with fiberglass wall panels to be quality. After 35 years as a RV owner I have yet to be dissatisfied with this method of construction.

Happy Camping !
Old 10-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
K Corbin, When it comes to RVs please note I am not a newbie. I have been an RV Traveler since 1983. I have owned a few RV travel trailers and am currently researching compact motor homes. The example by Leisure Vans fits my needs and you seem to have overlooked the many well thought out features this unit has while concentrating on “molded fiberglass sprayed into a mold”.
You seem to be a “true believer” with limited focus.

The only short coming in this Motorhome is price...a bit too rich for my current resources as I am retired.
Another concern is the new Ford platform it is built on. My target is a used class C Motorhome. This will control the purchase price.
I have owned travel trailers built to similar specifications as this unit and find the metal stud frames with fiberglass wall panels to be quality. After 35 years as a RV owner I have yet to be dissatisfied with this method of construction.

Happy Camping !

Welcome to the "Molded Fiberglass RV" web site. It was at one time know as MFROG for molded fiberglass. The primary interest here is towable molded fiberglass trailers.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I would call it a "C" because a tapered body is attached to the Ford cab-chassis.

I have been told that "Bs" have the van body front to back, i.e. built on/in a full van, from nose to rear doors.

That said, there are some "Cs" out there with nearly no taper between cab & body. Less than shown.

Tandem rear wheels clearly exist on class "Bs", but they are less common.

If you like it, enjoy it. Friends say check the noise levels and rattles driving in a class C.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #7

North Carolina
Tom 72, Thanks for the tip about noise levels in Class C motorhomes.

Byron, I read this site for knowledge. I subscribe to many RV sites to keep current on the RV life. I suggest you add one to your reading list: RVTravel.com
It is a free weekly newsletter covering all aspects of RV Travel. It is independent and not a voice of the RVIA....it exposes quality concerns in the industry.
It has campground information and up to the minute news for campers.
Well worth reading....sent out every Saturday.

Question: are there any molded fiberglass compact motorhomes new or used ?
My focus would be on used to save some money.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Tom 72, Thanks for the tip about noise levels in Class C motorhomes.

Byron, I read this site for knowledge. I subscribe to many RV sites to keep current on the RV life. I suggest you add one to your reading list: RVTravel.com
It is a free weekly newsletter covering all aspects of RV Travel. It is independent and not a voice of the RVIA....it exposes quality concerns in the industry.
It has campground information and up to the minute news for campers.
Well worth reading....sent out every Saturday.

Question: are there any molded fiberglass compact motorhomes new or used ?
My focus would be on used to save some money.
The Sunraders are molded fiberglass motorhomes, small ones with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. They are all going to be used as they are no longer being made. Most of them are based on a Toyota truck but there are a few Ford, Chevy and Nissan powered ones around. There is even a 4 x4 Toyota version, but those are rare.

There are also some Chinook RVs that are molded fiberglass that have larger engines in them. But not all Chinook branded RVs are molded fiberglass, it is a brand name that has gone through many styles of construction over the years. You will have to do some research to find the models that were made that way. There were also molded fiberglass Chinooks that are built on the small Toyota trucks. There is one of those parked a few blocks away this week with someone living in it full time.

A vintage motorhome that is molded fiberglass is the Dodge American Clipper. I see a couple of those around in my neighborhood now and again.

There are the Tiger adventure vehicles. There are some used ones around. They have a fiberglass upper section, some other areas of molded fiberglass but not all of the body is fiberglass. My next door neighbor has an older Tiger, but it is not a 4 x 4 version and it is not for sale.
http://www.tigervehicles.com/tiger-models/
Old 10-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Wow! Looks very very cool. Looks like something you get when you win the Lottery. You are right, perfect for 2 people.
Have you looked at LAZY DAZE Class C's? They seem to have a very good quality & reputation. Been in business over 50 years. You have to order from the factory. Right now it takes a year to take delivery. That's all I know about them. The used one sale really fast and hold there value.
As for me I purchased a LiL Snoozy. Will take delivery in Dec. All the scary stories about wood built Trailers made us decide on fiberglass trailers.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #10

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Also Ultra Van, featuring Corvair engine, and Starcraft Starcruiser from the 70s.
Attached Thumbnails
e44b262e944cc7fcbe7925947757f461.jpg  
Attached Images

ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Welcome to the "Molded Fiberglass RV" web site. It was at one time know as MFROG for molded fiberglass. The primary interest here is towable molded fiberglass trailers.
From our home page:

"Welcome to FiberglassRV.com, your Molded Lightweight Fiberglass Travel Trailer RV website! This website is intended as a free resource for those who are looking for, or who own, molded fiberglass travel trailers."
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
Not sure if its considered "molded fiberglass" and its certainly not a trailer but for what its worth. Coach House in Florida makes a class c that they state is "one-piece fiberglass shell reinforced with carbon fiber". It way out of my price range but looks nice for a class c.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #13

Oregon
There is an option for those folks who want to do a van conversion but still want to have the benefits of molded fiberglass. They are called Unicel Aerocel van bodies. They are sold as fuel efficient cargo vans. So no windows, kitchen, bath, holding tanks. But a cargo van is what a lot of the custom van build out folks like to start with. They were and still are being put onto a variety of van bases, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #14

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
What I don't get is why the price on these babies is so hard to find. I guess that means it's way out of my range!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote