Group caravan trip to Alaska or Eastern Canada. Interested? Have you done it? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2022, 11:29 AM   #21

Name: Ed
Trailer: R-Pod but seeking Boler
Alaska
We live in AK and have driven out nearly every fall since 2002. We like the freedom of declaring instant lay-over days at unexpected attractions. Consider the Alaska Highway one way and the Cassiar the other. There is also the Marine Highway (ferry) north from Bellingham. Whatever you decide get the most recent edition of Milepost.
Ed Sasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:49 AM   #22

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Great idea!

We’ve always talked about a trip to Newfoundland or Alaska. I retire in June so as long as hubby can coordinate vacation time I’d definitely be interested in staying in the loop in this.
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #23

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Group camping sounds like a wonderful idea. We traveled AK 2 years ago and plan on Glacier/Yellowstone this summer if there's any interest.
Linda M R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #24

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
If you go to Newfoundland, be sure to go to Nova Scotia on the way. Louisburg is the preserved french town up on Cape Breten Island and there are other sights to see, Peggy's Cove, Lunnenberg, and Halifax. On the way home we camped in Fundy National Park and saw the tides rise 27'.
We never drove to Alaska, we drove to Seattle and went on a cruise ship. You can park a rig in the cruise port.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #25

Name: Judy
Trailer: scamp
Minnesota
Never been to Newfoundland. If you are going after 2022, please let me know since I would be interested in caravanning.
JudyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #26

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Arizona
Thumbs up Interested

I had started to think about a trip to AK but couldn't do it by myself, so I would definitely be interested it this came to fruition.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:52 PM   #27

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sasser View Post
We live in AK and have driven out nearly every fall since 2002. We like the freedom of declaring instant lay-over days at unexpected attractions. Consider the Alaska Highway one way and the Cassiar the other. There is also the Marine Highway (ferry) north from Bellingham. Whatever you decide get the most recent edition of Milepost.
I agree! We sold our EggCamper in 2011 and bought a small coach -- WGO View 24' to drive to AK in 2013. We were uninformed, but adventurous and had a great trip! Michigan/AK back was about 11,500 mi in seven weeks. We cut across the N US to Montana > N thru Sasch (not that interesting) > BC (Baniff & Jasper - wow!) took the Cassier 'Highway' N to Fort ? > then Al Can to Yukon and Tok > down to Valdez > Anchorage > Seward > Homer Spit (Halibut fishing ;-) > Denali > Fairbanks > Tok > Haines Junc > Haines. Took the Marine Highway Ferry from Haines to Bellingham, WA (four days). WONDERFUL trip thru the Inside Passage!! Then adventures all the way home...

Drive slower on the Cassier - frost heave's @ joints. Whitehorse is fun. Loved Seward and Homer Spit - caught two Halibut ;-) The bus back into Denali was great - Grizzly, Moose, Dahl Sheep, Ptarmigan, Porcupine, Caribou - and BIG mountains. We departed Michigan last of April (blizzard in Wisconsin) and had great boon docking weather all the way -- sunshine, no bugs or people ;-)

Hope this helps someone! Enjoy your trek!
Old 01-06-2022, 02:11 AM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
We have traveled with dogs into Canada a number of times and the only thing we have brought for paperwork recently is proof of rabies vaccination. We have never been asked to produce it or even been asked about our dogs. Health certificates were required many years ago but not anymore.
Akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:08 AM   #29

Name: Thomas
Hollywood
New Founland Labrador and Dogs traveling to CA,

This summer and fall we (including our 64# Golden Doodle) took our 19' Scamp to Labrador and NewFoundland. The UNESCO site in Newfoundland was occupied by the Vikings 1000 years ago today. We also visited Labrador including the Basque Whaling site at Red Bay.
The trip was spectacular and the stops such as Grose Morne National park were breath taking.
We were in several of the North Eastern states from June until August 9 with several weeks in Maine before we crossed to New Brunswick.
We did not have a plan we are retired - left FL in June for a month and enjoyed it so we didn't get back until October. The trip totaled out as 12000 miles and included Bay of Fundy, Quebec City, Montreal and Sydney NB.
The trip was great and the people were friendly.
We are thinking that this summer will be a trip to AK, unless we have to much fun travelling through CA and don't make it.
Enjoy your trip and give yourself a chance to spend time where you like and not let a schedule rule your life.
Attached Thumbnails
20210713_164241.jpg  
Tcjmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:21 AM   #30

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcjmiami View Post
This summer and fall we (including our 64# Golden Doodle) took our 19' Scamp to Labrador and Newfoundland. [snip] Enjoy your trip and give yourself a chance to spend time where you like and not let a schedule rule your life.
We second that one! Take the time YOU want -- in our opinion schedules have no place when trekking... ;-)
Old 01-06-2022, 09:23 AM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just a note. We were part of a three trailer group that spent four months together, to and from Alaska in 2018. Even then, before all the rv buying, and campground crowding, it was sometimes difficult to find space for three traveling together. Today, I would think it would take much planning and reservations to keep a caravan together.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:01 AM   #32

Name: Tim
Ohio
I am seriously investigating a 2-3 month Alaska trip for 2023. I solo RV full time but want to caravan to Alaska. I’m not interested in the $6000-$9000 professional tours. Any like-minded adventurers out there?
Timb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:09 AM   #33

Name: Tim
Ohio
Question 2023 Alaska Caravan

I am seriously investigating a 2-3 month Alaska trip for 2023. I solo RV full time but want to caravan to Alaska. I’m not interested in the $6000-$9000 professional tours. Any like-minded adventurers out there?
Timb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:20 AM   #34
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
caravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
Never been to Newfoundland. If you are going after 2022, please let me know since I would be interested in caravanning.
It’s been a while for me, took my 6 & 8 yr old sons in 1966, be sure to go over to Prince Edward Island, they have a mock-up of a MicMac Indian village. Also, the park someone mentioned has really nice little cabins, when we were there we only had a tent, so I rented a cabin, the deer come out at night and you’re right on the edge of the ocean. There’s so much to see and enjoy and the prices are very reasonable. We took the ferry back from Nova Scotia but I don’t know if they take RV’s. enjoy. MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:23 AM   #35

Hollywood
We are going to head to AK next summer.
We do not plan in detail and will not have an Itinerary.
Last year we left in June for a month or so and since we were enjoying the trip we didn't get back until November after making it from FL to the northern tip of NewFoundland, a 12000 mile trip.
We have a Scamp 19' and a 62# golden doodle.
Currently we are Missouri heading NW before a trip south along the west coast.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:40 AM   #36
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
group caravan trip to Alaska or Eastern Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmacs View Post
We have traveled with dogs into Canada a number of times and the only thing we have brought for paperwork recently is proof of rabies vaccination. We have never been asked to produce it or even been asked about our dogs. Health certificates were required many years ago but not anymore.
Were you asked for health certificates for people? I thought they required proof of vaccinations? I have had reactions so my M.D. said, “No.”. But I don’t know if they understand in Canada.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:50 PM   #37

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Were you asked for health certificates for people? I thought they required proof of vaccinations? I have had reactions so my M.D. said, “No.”. But I don’t know if they understand in Canada.

Go to the Canada crossing the border website. It will tell you what you need to know. The last I knew you had to have the vacs, have a negative test, possibly have to quarantine for a period of days, have a passport and make an appointment to cross the border. It costs $75 now to cross because of these things. Of course these things change often. What they require now may change for the better or worse by next year. Canadian border guards do not deviate from the rules and are very matter of fact. No chit chat and no joking.
We've crossed in Montana, on the ferry to Vancouver Island, back to Vancouver City in Canada, into Alaska, back to Canada, crossed in Niagara Falls, etc. It was always the same in 2008, 2009, 2015, 2017 and 2019 on our cruise.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:11 PM   #38

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
If you are not fully vaccinated and are travelling to Canada for tourism, you will not be allowed in.

Reference: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

"To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to Canada, you must:
have received at least 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine accepted for travel, a mix of 2 accepted vaccines
or at least 1 dose of the Janssen Jcovden (Johnson & Johnson, Ad26.COV2.S (JNJ-78436735)) vaccine
have received your second dose at least 14 calendar days before you enter Canada
Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday, July 1, then Thursday, July 15 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
this timing is only required for your second dose, not for third or fourth doses
have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19
have ArriveCAN receipt with letter A, I, or V beside your name by uploading proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN
"

"Based on your answers, you will not be allowed to enter Canada, even if you have tested negative for COVID-19.

Unless you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, you cannot enter Canada for reasons such as:
spending time at a seasonal home or cottage
visiting an immediate or extended family member, if age 18 or over
attending a Canadian educational institution as an international student if age 18 or over
childcare for your relatives
a personal or casual visit
air or rail crew, medical worker, transportation, or sports
tourism, fishing, entertainment or leisure"
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:25 PM   #39

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
Timb8 - We did the tour previously and are interested in exploring new places. A caravan trip sounds ideal. I have a 2022 edition of The Milepost and I'm ready to start planning for 2023.
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:48 PM   #40

Hollywood
We crossed one year ago.
You need proof of vaccination, passport and vehicle docs.
The dog had to have vaccinations as well for rabies.
Coming back I needed the same for us crossing g.
Check the arrive ca site for current details.