Group caravan trip to Alaska or Eastern Canada. Interested? Have you done it? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2021, 12:37 AM   #1

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Group caravan trip to Alaska or Eastern Canada. Interested? Have you done it?

There are so many great places on my list. Since my circumstances have changed, I wonder if I want to explore Alaska alone? By nature, I am a solitary person-most artists are, but a long trip to Alaska or Newfoundland may be more enjoyable with other campers.

Have you traveled with other campers? In a group? Was it a positive experience or not?
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:25 AM   #2
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
That sounds like an idea to explore, please share your responses. MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:42 AM   #3

Name: Judy
Trailer: Casita SD
Florida
Hi, My friend and I went to Alaska from Colorado in 2014. She had a Roadtrek and I my Casita. It was a trip of a lifetime and I would do it again if I were younger (79). We went up through Montana, BC, Alberta and yukon. Whitehorse is a great town and from there we were on the ALCAN into Alaska. 30 mi into Alaska we camped at a wildlife sanctuary for free and saw wonderful wildlife. I have a blog of our trip and if you are interested pm me. We did not go to Denali because we had both been there. Enjoy your trip!
Judy
Judy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:55 AM   #4
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
group caravan

Well, sorry you feel too old to go again. I’m fortunate, I’m only 86 years old and just getting started with my Scamp 13. Had the most fun of my life with my dog, cat and old car going from Cape Cod to MN to pickup our Scamp last year. Would love to hear about your trip and any tips. MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:17 AM   #5

Minnesota & Arizona
Could be fun, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
That sounds like an idea to explore, please share your responses. MJo
Hi, MJo

I think this could be so grand. An hesitation I have going alone is simply the mechanical aspect-engine trouble. The rest-I think I can deal with.

I was invited on a mission trip where my role - as a former volunteer EMT- was to support the health of the group building the church. Another time, I was the cook, and so on.

It could be incredible to pool our talents and do this.

I hope we get lots of responses.

So, where do you want to go?
Old 12-29-2021, 07:28 AM   #6

Minnesota & Arizona
Sounds fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
Hi, My friend and I went to Alaska from Colorado in 2014. She had a Roadtrek and I my Casita. It was a trip of a lifetime and I would do it again if I were younger (79). We went up through Montana, BC, Alberta and yukon. Whitehorse is a great town and from there we were on the ALCAN into Alaska. 30 mi into Alaska we camped at a wildlife sanctuary for free and saw wonderful wildlife. I have a blog of our trip and if you are interested pm me. We did not go to Denali because we had both been there. Enjoy your trip!
Judy
Hi, Judy!
I will PM you. It sounds like a marvelous trip!

I think having our little campers to retreat to makes this very inviting. It really could be the best way to travel. After I read your blog, I'm sure I'll have questions. Thank you!

I don't know that this be limited to Alaska. I have been to Europe and Asia many times but never to Yellowstone. I think several itineraries could be developed.

Where would you like to go?
Old 12-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #7

Minnesota & Arizona
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Well, sorry you feel too old to go again. I’m fortunate, I’m only 86 years old and just getting started with my Scamp 13. Had the most fun of my life with my dog, cat and old car going from Cape Cod to MN to pickup our Scamp last year. Would love to hear about your trip and any tips. MJo
I'd love to hear about camping in Cape Cod and other areas of MA.

Delighted to hear you had a good trip getting the Scamp. Do share?
Old 12-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
One good way to go is with Adventure Caravans.
They are mostly the big class A motorhome, or 5th wheel trailer types.
They limit each group to 20 rigs. A "Wagon Master" leads, and a "Tail Gunner" brings up the rear - with tools - in case of a breakdown.
We went with them in 2004, a 50 day tour of BC, Yukon, and Alaska, starting and ending at Prince George BC. But, they have a variety of tours, all over the place.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #9

Name: L (aka Scout)
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Alaska Trip

Hi Gigi.
My husband and I are considering going to Alaska in 2023, since we already have 2022 filled up with adventures, following a May retirement. We would rather go up through BC, since we are practically on the West Coast. Please, keep me posted, and I look forward to looking at those blog sites others have posted. What a good idea to pool resources & skillsets, to have comraderies and make new friends. My skillset is Registered Nurse. Husband is a great handyman. Keep me posted FGRV people!
LBJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #10

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
One good way to go is with Adventure Caravans.
They are mostly the big class A motorhome, or 5th wheel trailer types.
They limit each group to 20 rigs. A "Wagon Master" leads, and a "Tail Gunner" brings up the rear - with tools - in case of a breakdown.
We went with them in 2004, a 50 day tour of BC, Yukon, and Alaska, starting and ending at Prince George BC. But, they have a variety of tours, all over the place.

I ran across them, Wayne. It would be lovely to hear your impressions and what you liked and didn't like about the structure. Your trip sounds amazing!'

My idea was prompted by Norm&Ginny's trip to Newfoundland. I haven't seen posts from them for awhile but always admired how they traveled. I think like-minded travelers from this group could have an amazing experience.

A mobile mechanic following with us is very smart.

So, not Alaska, but where would you go?
Old 12-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #11

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJohnson View Post
Hi Gigi.
My husband and I are considering going to Alaska in 2023, since we already have 2022 filled up with adventures, following a May retirement. We would rather go up through BC, since we are practically on the West Coast. Please, keep me posted, and I look forward to looking at those blog sites others have posted. What a good idea to pool resources & skillsets, to have comraderies and make new friends. My skillset is Registered Nurse. Husband is a great handyman. Keep me posted FGRV people!
Hello! I am happy to see such interest. A Registered Nurse and Handyman would be great additions to any group. Thank you for your service during these times, btw.

Yes to the SW up through BC. How spectacular that would be.

I think a poll may be useful as Montreal, Quebec City, Newfoundland would be so great to visit. Mexico, Central America, even South America could be considered. A focus on the National Parks could be grand. I'm sure there are many places we could have a fabulous time.

So, friends, where do you want yo go?
Old 12-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Alaska Highway

Our main interest in 2004, was to drive the ALCAN, Alaska Highway.
It still had some stretches of the old road, but now, it is all new, mostly black-topped, not as hilly or curvy.
The Adventure Caravan group made all the reservations for campgrounds.
included some shows, meals, tours. But, mostly we could stop wherever we wanted.
Our total trip to and from Iowa, was 11,000 miles, 2.5 months, as we added stops at many of our relatives, in Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton, Regina SK. We had a 1999 honda odyssey, 2000 16 ft Scamp Deluxe.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #13

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist Chic View Post
There are so many great places on my list. Since my circumstances have changed, I wonder if I want to explore Alaska alone? By nature, I am a solitary person-most artists are, but a long trip to Alaska or Newfoundland may be more enjoyable with other campers.

Have you traveled with other campers? In a group? Was it a positive experience or not?
We went to Alaska on our own and loved it. The groups don't give you the freedoms you may want plus they are expensive, about 6K-10K per rig. They do have campgrounds ready, provide meals and entertainment but we found a lot of what they do such as clambakes, follies etc are not what we wanted to do. We talked to a lot of people on caravans and they had fun but all would like more freedoms and would return on their own. If you want to stop and hike to a waterfall or glacier you don't have the time. Going with one or 2 friends would be OK as long as you agree to do stuff on your own if they don't want to do exactly the same thing you do every day. We looked at all the caravan itineraries, printed them out and crossed off all the stuff we did not want to do. Then we took all of them and merged them into our own itinerary to keep the towns in order of being seen and things we wanted to see in each one. We also added other stuff in and found more things in travel guides as we stopped at visitor centers. One must is to get the Mile Post for the year you are going. A year old one is outdated a lot. You can stop and camp at many pullouts for free. We boondocked most of the time. Canada does not allow pullout camping but their provincial parks are very nice and reasonable in cost. We did our first trip for about $10K and that included gas, camping, groceries, eating out a little, entry fees to museums, etc souvenirs, Christmas gifts for all our family and a lot of stuff we brought home like food that we can't get in the US. If we'd taken a caravan it would have cost us an additional $5-8K. Gas is the biggest cost. Either way you do it you'll have fun but if you are a loner you may want to go alone or with a friend or 2.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:56 PM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
We did an AK trip a couple of years ago by ship, bus, train and plane. Can't wait to go back and I like the idea of traveling with a small caravan. Is there a way you can create a group list of interested parties to explore the idea?
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:18 PM   #15

Minnesota & Arizona
Jann, your process is just how I imagined it would work for a smaller group. I like the independence yet knowledge someone is nearby. Sounds like a great trip!
Old 01-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #16

Minnesota & Arizona
Group list with perhaps a Facebook page or WhatsApp group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog View Post
We did an AK trip a couple of years ago by ship, bus, train and plane. Can't wait to go back and I like the idea of traveling with a small caravan. Is there a way you can create a group list of interested parties to explore the idea?
We are thinking alike.

A private Facebook page linked to a thread here would work to host photos, campsite locations, boondocking info, messaging, and so on.

Let's see if we get more responses? I think it could be quite grand!
Old 01-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #17

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:09 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I have always wanted to do the Alcan, and now recently retired I have the availability. Between Covid restrictions and the red tape involved in bringing a dog into Canada I haven't seriously entertained the idea of doing this in 2022, but after is certainly a possibility. So put me down as a firm "maybe" .

I have done a number of overlanding-style trips with groups and enjoyed it. It is good to have clear initial expectations, but while on the trip maintaining a flexible attitude toward the inevitable changes in routes and accommodations that will arise.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:31 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
the red tape involved in bringing a dog into Canada
What red tape is that?
Old 01-03-2022, 03:09 PM   #20

Name: Kate
Trailer: Casita 2018 Liberty Dlx
Massachusetts
re: Taking pets from US to CA

The link below is to a WikiHow article that looks comprehensive. Get your paperwork together and red tape should be a minimum.

How to Travel from USA to Canada with Dogs

https://www.wikihow.com/Travel-from-...nada-with-Dogs