guided rv tours - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
guided rv tours

We are considering a guided RV tour (like Fantasy or Adventure) for next year.
Anyone have experience with this type of trip? I know it is expensive, but I am feeling a little lazy about setting up a trip to Alaska or NE US and Canada by myself. Thanks

ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #2

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple View Post
Anyone have experience with this type of trip? I know it is expensive, but I am feeling a little lazy about setting up a trip to Alaska or NE US and Canada by myself. Thanks
In 2004 we joined Adventure Caravans for a 50 day trip to Alaska, starting and ending at Prince George, BC. It was great! We had been planning to drive the Alaska Highway (ALCAN) anyway, and this tour was close to our plans. The price was well worth it. They arranged for all the campgrounds, Some group excursions, meals, shows, etc. And we had plenty of time to ourselves.
Some folks started the trip in Montana. Ours was the smallest rig, Scamp 16 /Hionda Odyssey. Most were big motor homes or 5th wheel trailers, a few class C motor homes. We could go places the others could not, and we got the best camp sites. Our total trip from home and back was 11,000 miles and 10 weeks, but we took the long way to Prince George, to see relatives in Seattle and Vancouver.

Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #3

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple View Post
We have one planned in the northeast this fall through Fantasy. I like the idea of it since the roads are so narrow supposedly back there. They are going places we want to go and thought it would be handy. We went to Alaska by ourselves twice and we loved it. Go when we want, where we want, etc. We talked to several people on caravans and they had mixed reviews with some felt safer, some didn't like having to do the schedule completely, but most said they were enjoying it. We didn't want to do Alaska on a caravan with the expense. We spent about what a caravan would cost but our money paid for all our gas for 80 days of traveling, eating what we wanted, going where we wanted, campgrounds if we wanted with sometimes just being out in the woods was fun, gifts, all our Christmas shopping and bringing home a motorhome full of stuff. We went to all the caravan websites and looked at their itinerary and printed them. Then we crossed off stuff like follies we had no interest in and circled stuff we really wanted to see and added other things that we found on-line or in travel guides. Then we put all 4 together on our computer and printed it off. We had the best time and had no schedule at all. We didn't have any trouble getting campgrounds either. We don't mind dry camping most nights. Some cities have dumps, water, etc and some campgrounds have showers with dumps and water. I wouldn't do a caravan to Alaska since we did it and know it was right for us the way we did it. We even said several times we loved how we were doing it as we saw the caravans and spoke to the people. Some people do a caravan then go on their own later after they see all they miss. The planning was fun because both of us had our input and enjoyed it. Only planned on what to do and see no campground reservations or any other reservations until we got near the place. So for boats, etc we did it a day or 2 before and most times could do a walk up. Train trips was early the day before to get reservations for boats out to sea with the train taking us to the coasts. Package deals. People are very helpful when you call.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote