Habitat For Humanity Care-A-Vanners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Habitat For Humanity Care-A-Vanners

We've been Care-A-Vanning for three years and have found it to be a fulfilling way to help others, meet great people, spend time in new places, and be part of a dedicated team.
Signups are for two-week commitments to typically work five 6-hour days per week. Habitat sets up camping arrangements, which generally cost $0-20 per night. You don't have to have 40-footer to fit in, we do it in our Escape and before that, with a Scamp.
All skill levels are welcome. Rosemary and I have learned a lot and find Care-A-Vanning to be a great way to spend part of our winter as we Escape from the cold and snow. Check out the video below.

Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #2

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
David and Rosemary,
Skip and I met you at Highlands Hammock last winter. Thank you so much for the tour of the build you worked on at Sebring. I am signed up for the 4th week in January. Wish I could make it more time. What a wonderful opportunity to help those in need.

To all others.....Check out Habitat for Humanity Caravanners. Great chance to meet new friends and help others. No experience needed.

jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
sounds like a great activity. I might do this in the future as I have the skills for the work.

Last month I sent a kit of 8 pre-cut ready to assemble buildings to Habitat for Humanity. They were ordered by one of the VPs at their New York city headquarters. I have no idea what they will be doing with them, obviously they won't be housing real people
Click image for larger version

Name:	micro OT hand.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	114394
Perhaps they will be used in an auction for fund raising or for decorating one of the Christmas trees that they sponsor. Whatever reason they wanted them it was very fun to see that order show up in my Etsy store with the delivery address of the Habitat headquarters on it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
How neat! Wonderful of you! Kevin and I know that feeling of making someone's life better. We try to volunteer on Pine Ridge Reservation for a week each year. Maybe when I retire, we can add this also if I can do it.

CindyL
Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Glad you were able to hook up with Care-A-Vanners

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
David and Rosemary,
Skip and I met you at Highlands Hammock last winter. Thank you so much for the tour of the build you worked on at Sebring. I am signed up for the 4th week in January. Wish I could make it more time. What a wonderful opportunity to help those in need.

To all others.....Check out Habitat for Humanity Caravanners. Great chance to meet new friends and help others. No experience needed.

jon
We're happy to have helped introduce you to Care-A-Vanners. Hope you enjoy the experience.

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #6

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I am thinking about volunteering if I go full-time net year, but I was surprised at how much you still have to pay for a camp site.

Maybe if there were more RV volunteers, they would make a bigger effort to get discounts.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #7

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
care-a-vanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
We've been Care-A-Vanning for three years and have found it to be a fulfilling way to help others, meet great people, spend time in new places, and be part of a dedicated team.
Signups are for two-week commitments to typically work five 6-hour days per week. Habitat sets up camping arrangements, which generally cost $0-20 per night. You don't have to have 40-footer to fit in, we do it in our Escape and before that, with a Scamp.
All skill levels are welcome. Rosemary and I have learned a lot and find Care-A-Vanning to be a great way to spend part of our winter as we Escape from the cold and snow. Check out the video below.

Thank you so much - I never heard of this camp to volunteer program for HH.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I am thinking about volunteering if I go full-time net year, but I was surprised at how much you still have to pay for a camp site.

Maybe if there were more RV volunteers, they would make a bigger effort to get discounts.
My sister and her husband do this every year. Turns out many Habitat sites have more volunteers than they can use, so I wouldn't look for subsidized camping anytime soon, though dry camping is often free. Volunteers have to plan ahead to secure a place on a team. Sis says its tons of fun and very gratifying.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #9

Name: Marjy
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Small World

I look forward to reading the daily posts. I originally joined when I was looking for my Scamp and now find many helpful and fun. I especially liked the saga of the wayward GPS sojourn.
I am not yet retired, but am looking forward to time when I have more of it than money. I have a good friend whom I spent several years serving with in the Oregon Air National Guard . She moved and went back to active duty military from which she retired. As I got my Fiberglass RV fix, I was pleasantly surprised to see her on the Care-A-Vanners video. I followed her blog as she traveled, but didn't know she was a part of a video. Lisa is a fun person and had a lot of rewarding work with the group.
Marjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post

Camping in Florida during high season for $15 a day is pretty cheap.

The cheapest camping comes from being a camp host, or boon docking. Be sure you don't have to do bathroom duty if you go the camp host route.

Volunteering has other benefits, mainly feeling good, helping others, and the comradery from working with others to benefit someone less fortunate. I bet its pretty rewarding.

Local volunteers don't need camping, so I guess they are a little short on local help.

Seeing how many of the volunteer opportunities are full all the way into November 2018 says they are doing something right for sure!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #11

Name: Betsy
Trailer: dreaming. . .
Illinois
I think this is a wonderful way to find purpose while full or part time RVing in retirement. I'm so glad you brought it to the attention of the forum here. I'm so looking forward to the day my boyfriend and I can join you all.

Can you tell us more about some of the experiences you've had doing this? Perhaps the families you've helped? Have you made friends with other caravanners who you now make plans to join on future builds? or to just camp together somewhere?

Betsy
RosaK is offline   Reply With Quote