Happier Camper and Long Term Fiberglass Issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #1

Name: Jairon
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ohio
Happier Camper and Long Term Fiberglass Issues

We're in the market for our first trailer and the Happier Camper Traveler (HCT) ticks all of the right boxes. We were looking into the Escape 21 as a budget option but the exchange rate policy the recently implemented ruled that out. I can't justify spending 10% more than others pay for resale value reasons alone. To be fair, Escape has told me they are going to revisit their policy in the fall.

The price of the HCT puts us in Oliver territory and I can trust that Oliver knows how to construct and glass a hull that will outlast many of us. I've watched their plant tour, read reviews, and understand their process some of which is detailed here: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-difference/ , etc.

Does anyone know much about the process Happier Camper uses to build their hulls? I believe HC has updated their construction process to make the HC1's fiberglass more durable and while it is great to see a company actually improve their products, it does make me wonder if they are now at a point that I can put HC at the same level as a company like Oliver or if we're all still beta testing.

If anyone has specifics about the build process, what has changed from the first generation, or personal experiences with the construction, I'd love to hear from you!
Jairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft
I'm not comfortable with the position of the axle. When going over rough terrain, the camper rocks back & forth. I would be worried that it would detach from the hitch.
Linn Rudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #3

Name: Jairon
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ohio
Thanks, Linn. Did you own the HC1 and sell it?
Jairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft
No, I just watched the video.
Linn Rudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #5

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn Rudman View Post
I'm not comfortable with the position of the axle. When going over rough terrain, the camper rocks back & forth. I would be worried that it would detach from the hitch.
If you mean the body rotates around the axle vertically, that is probably a badly balanced trailer. If you don't have enough tongue weight any trailer will do that.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The axle on the HC1 is rated for 3500 lbs and is pretty much standard across most small rv industry. The HC1 axle can also come in 2 settings ,standard with 13 inch rims and tires or lifted with15 inch off-road rims and tires
No the trailer does not wobble like someone mentioned here in a earlier post and is actually very stable especially with the lifted package but like all trailers they must be loaded and balanced carefully
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
No the trailer does not wobble like someone mentioned here in a earlier post and is actually very stable especially with the lifted package but like all trailers they must be loaded and balanced carefully
Exactly what I was trying to point out to the poster.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jairon View Post
We're in the market for our first trailer and the Happier Camper Traveler (HCT) ticks all of the right boxes. We were looking into the Escape 21 as a budget option but the exchange rate policy the recently implemented ruled that out. I can't justify spending 10% more than others pay for resale value reasons alone. To be fair, Escape has told me they are going to revisit their policy in the fall.

The price of the HCT puts us in Oliver territory and I can trust that Oliver knows how to construct and glass a hull that will outlast many of us. I've watched their plant tour, read reviews, and understand their process some of which is detailed here: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-difference/ , etc.

Does anyone know much about the process Happier Camper uses to build their hulls? I believe HC has updated their construction process to make the HC1's fiberglass more durable and while it is great to see a company actually improve their products, it does make me wonder if they are now at a point that I can put HC at the same level as a company like Oliver or if we're all still beta testing.

If anyone has specifics about the build process, what has changed from the first generation, or personal experiences with the construction, I'd love to hear from you!
Jarion The build process of the HCT Shell is very similar to the Oliver and a few other Double hulled trailers but the philosophy on the use of the HCT is much different from most others.TheOliver is a beautiful trailer with very high end detailing but I do believe it will still be Quite a bit More expensive than the HCT. The HCT is a new trailer with very few on the road right now but does have many people interested.the HCT is kind of a crossover between the fully adaptive interior of the HC1 With the rear hatch and a standard style trailer with the HCT having only partial adaptive interior and no rear hatch. The reason the HCT does not have a rear hatch is because the bathroom is in the center of the trailer opposite the kitchen and can not be used for hauling . This has allowed the HCT to have 2 separate sleeping areas so 4 adults can sleep in separate areas or with the bunk you can sleep 2 adults in one area and 3 children in the other . Both sides have the adaptive cubes so you can change it to what ever you like or choose for the particular type of camping you are doing.
The HCT and HC1 have come a long way from their earlier builds as Happier Camper used to have their fg work contracted out but now own their own fg facility and control the quality and quantity of their builds although it has been with great difficulty due to the pandemic
You can take a virtual tour at Happier Camper. Com if you would like to see a detailed look of both the HC 1 and HCT
Old 09-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #9

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: HC1
Rhode Island
Hi - we owned an HC1 for 3 years and just recently sold it to put our order in for the HCT. Happy to answer any questions you have if you want to DM me directly..
Jlponnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 06:32 AM   #10

Name: Lisa
Trailer: In the market
New Jersey
Hi! How do you like the HCT? We are about to order one but sadly haven’t even seen one!!!
lisakmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 11:43 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakmoser View Post
Hi! How do you like the HCT? We are about to order one but sadly haven’t even seen one!!!
Congratulations Lisa on choosing a fg trailer and more so for the HCT . The HCT will fall in price between the Oliver on the higher end and a Scamp on the lower end but you will very much feel you have the highest end fg trailer . HC will also be introducing a lower cost HCT shortly and you may want to look in to that before you order ,it will not have the separate bathroom but instead will only have the shower pan that can double for seating and storage or can be removed for a makeshift shower if wanted ,this will give the HCT a complete open concept.
You should be able to contact HC sales and they can do a video walkthrough on a trailer or they can put you in touch with someone close by to check one out ..
Old 08-27-2023, 01:19 PM   #12

Name: Lisa
Trailer: In the market
New Jersey
Hi! Wow thank you for the info. Any idea when they are rolling that out? We just need the camper by August. Does it have a toilet? With one teen and one 9 year old I’m leaning towards the less open plan for privacy BUT lower cost sounds great…they are expensive!!

We did a video tour yesterday but no mention of the new HCT
lisakmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 01:47 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Hi! Wow thank you for the info. Any idea when they are rolling that out? We just need the camper by August. Does it have a toilet? With one teen and one 9 year old I’m leaning towards the less open plan for privacy BUT lower cost sounds great…they are expensive!!

a cassette/dry toilet is an optional module. there is no water or holding tanks, the optional kitchen sink module has a small water tank or can use a city water and grey hookup. there is no refrigerator, instead a modular 'cooler cube'. there is no shower AFAIK from the website.

I would compare this against a Casita 17, its about the same size and the same 3500 lb GWR, but everything that comes integrated in a Casita Deluxe is optional 'modules' in the HCT.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 05:17 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a cassette/dry toilet is an optional module. there is no water or holding tanks, the optional kitchen sink module has a small water tank or can use a city water and grey hookup. there is no refrigerator, instead a modular 'cooler cube'. there is no shower AFAIK from the website.

I would compare this against a Casita 17, its about the same size and the same 3500 lb GWR, but everything that comes integrated in a Casita Deluxe is optional 'modules' in the HCT.
John, The HCT does not have a modular cube refrigerator it has a acdc fridge ,it also does have a full permanent kitchen ,I think you are referring to the HC1 not the HCT . It does have a 17 gallon grey and clear tank but no black tank It also has a full wet bath ,there will be a new trailer with out the bathroom .You can compare to a casita in size only ,the HCT is fully double hulled shell with no cabinetry suporrting the shell and has no unsightly rivets and no carpeted or hull liner walls ,there is no wood in the floor or anywhere else except door fronts and tabletops ,it also has all the features available on any other fg trailer and many features that are not available on any other fg trailers , please check out the HC website for the correct information as disinformation serves nobody well .
Old 08-27-2023, 05:24 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:

Yes the new trailer is only in the prototype stage and you will need to carefully select according to your needs and not sure yet on the timeline as of yet ,the center bath and galley does give you the option for privacy and with the bunk / Goucho can really accommodate five people comfortably, the new trailer will be a open concept and not have the privacy but with the bunk will still accommodate five comfortably .
Old 08-27-2023, 05:37 PM   #16

Mid Left Coast
I was trying to figure out what all this is saying, and its REMARKABLY vague.

https://happiercamper.com/pages/hc-traveler

water tank? not mentioned. grey tank? who knows? fridge size? electricals? furnace? all unspecified. wow, $65000 for the 'premium package' ? thats getting into Airstream territory. twice what we paid for our Escape 21 6-7 years ago, which came with a 7 cu ft fridge/freezer, 28 gallon fresh+grey and 18 gallon black tanks, flush toilet, furnace, 3 burner stove with oven, dual golf cart batteries with solar, almost queen bed with a real mattress, plus a 4 person dinette that converts to another queen bed, and a bunch of storage.
Old 08-27-2023, 06:30 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I was trying to figure out what all this is saying, and its REMARKABLY vague.

https://happiercamper.com/pages/hc-traveler

water tank? not mentioned. grey tank? who knows? fridge size? electricals? furnace? all unspecified. wow, $65000 for the 'premium package' ? thats getting into Airstream territory. twice what we paid for our Escape 21 6-7 years ago, which came with a 7 cu ft fridge/freezer, 28 gallon fresh+grey and 18 gallon black tanks, flush toilet, furnace, 3 burner stove with oven, dual golf cart batteries with solar, almost queen bed with a real mattress, plus a 4 person dinette that converts to another queen bed, and a bunch of storage.
Water tank ? ,not sure where you think the water will come from or go , water heater and heating systems ? HC uses the most advanced Truma water heater ,furnace on the market ,no unsightly heater and water heater vents protruding through the fg , electrical? HC uses all led lighting and all the electrical needed to run the systems needed ,fridge size? Gone are the days when you need to cary large ac dc propane fridges as most now in smaller trailers use their own portable AC/DC refrigerators freezer in conjunction with the small fridge available on the HC ,just makes it easier to load and unload , 3burner stove ? Great if you only plan to cook all your meals in the trailer but I think the 2 burner integrated stove and sink combo will handle all your needs , The HCT also has the almost Queen bed that can be also converted to a single bed and can also be converted to no bed or to a dinette ,and this can be done on both sides , it also can have a full fiberglass bunk on either side or both sides and the bunk is self supporting with no poles to get in the way ,no other trailer has this . The $64000 .00 trailer you quote is for the premium trailer with almost every option available ,the DC air conditioner with the dual lithium batteries alone are over $5000.00 and every manufacturer prices have risen greatly since the 6-7 years ago prices you mentioned. Storage ? the entire trailer is surrounded with upper storage ,
The Escape trailer is a great trailer and I encourage anyone looking for a FG trailer to check it out before they make that final decision.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:33 PM   #18

Mid Left Coast
also, in that floor plan of the HCT, if the modules are 20" square, then the aisle between the toilet and the kitchenette is about 12" wide. my hips are about 20" wide, so that means turning sideways to squeeze through there.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:04 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Ontario
[QUOTE=John in Santa Cruz;859448]also, in that floor plan of the HCT, if the modules are 20" square, then the aisle between the toilet and the kitchenette is about 12" wide. my hips are about 20" wide, so that means turning sideways to squeeze through there.[/
Yes it would be narrower if you do not allow for the sliding door to be open which when it is will give you all the hip width you need , you also have a wider shower when you
Need it and more counter space , all small trailers will have give and take and one must choose what fits them or their families first ,.
Old 08-27-2023, 11:43 PM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
At 65000 I’d look at a Bigfoot 21
Or a low optioned 25rq
Proven platform. Options are available for a compression fridge. They will prewire for lithium batteries, and dual solar panels are available. Extremely robust constructione witnessed the owner take a panel cutout from the window and smash it with a hammer with all his might twice. Not a dent or a crack. Great customer service and support.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
happier camper