Happier Camper and Long Term Fiberglass Issues - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #1

Name: Jairon
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ohio
Happier Camper and Long Term Fiberglass Issues

We're in the market for our first trailer and the Happier Camper Traveler (HCT) ticks all of the right boxes. We were looking into the Escape 21 as a budget option but the exchange rate policy the recently implemented ruled that out. I can't justify spending 10% more than others pay for resale value reasons alone. To be fair, Escape has told me they are going to revisit their policy in the fall.

The price of the HCT puts us in Oliver territory and I can trust that Oliver knows how to construct and glass a hull that will outlast many of us. I've watched their plant tour, read reviews, and understand their process some of which is detailed here: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-difference/ , etc.

Does anyone know much about the process Happier Camper uses to build their hulls? I believe HC has updated their construction process to make the HC1's fiberglass more durable and while it is great to see a company actually improve their products, it does make me wonder if they are now at a point that I can put HC at the same level as a company like Oliver or if we're all still beta testing.

If anyone has specifics about the build process, what has changed from the first generation, or personal experiences with the construction, I'd love to hear from you!
Jairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #2

Name: LC
Trailer: Sold - Now Looking
I'm not comfortable with the position of the axle. When going over rough terrain, the camper rocks back & forth. I would be worried that it would detach from the hitch.
Linn Rudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #3

Name: Jairon
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ohio
Thanks, Linn. Did you own the HC1 and sell it?
Jairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #4

Name: LC
Trailer: Sold - Now Looking
No, I just watched the video.
Linn Rudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #5

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn Rudman View Post
I'm not comfortable with the position of the axle. When going over rough terrain, the camper rocks back & forth. I would be worried that it would detach from the hitch.
If you mean the body rotates around the axle vertically, that is probably a badly balanced trailer. If you don't have enough tongue weight any trailer will do that.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The axle on the HC1 is rated for 3500 lbs and is pretty much standard across most small rv industry. The HC1 axle can also come in 2 settings ,standard with 13 inch rims and tires or lifted with15 inch off-road rims and tires
No the trailer does not wobble like someone mentioned here in a earlier post and is actually very stable especially with the lifted package but like all trailers they must be loaded and balanced carefully
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
No the trailer does not wobble like someone mentioned here in a earlier post and is actually very stable especially with the lifted package but like all trailers they must be loaded and balanced carefully
Exactly what I was trying to point out to the poster.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jairon View Post
We're in the market for our first trailer and the Happier Camper Traveler (HCT) ticks all of the right boxes. We were looking into the Escape 21 as a budget option but the exchange rate policy the recently implemented ruled that out. I can't justify spending 10% more than others pay for resale value reasons alone. To be fair, Escape has told me they are going to revisit their policy in the fall.

The price of the HCT puts us in Oliver territory and I can trust that Oliver knows how to construct and glass a hull that will outlast many of us. I've watched their plant tour, read reviews, and understand their process some of which is detailed here: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-difference/ , etc.

Does anyone know much about the process Happier Camper uses to build their hulls? I believe HC has updated their construction process to make the HC1's fiberglass more durable and while it is great to see a company actually improve their products, it does make me wonder if they are now at a point that I can put HC at the same level as a company like Oliver or if we're all still beta testing.

If anyone has specifics about the build process, what has changed from the first generation, or personal experiences with the construction, I'd love to hear from you!
Jarion The build process of the HCT Shell is very similar to the Oliver and a few other Double hulled trailers but the philosophy on the use of the HCT is much different from most others.TheOliver is a beautiful trailer with very high end detailing but I do believe it will still be Quite a bit More expensive than the HCT. The HCT is a new trailer with very few on the road right now but does have many people interested.the HCT is kind of a crossover between the fully adaptive interior of the HC1 With the rear hatch and a standard style trailer with the HCT having only partial adaptive interior and no rear hatch. The reason the HCT does not have a rear hatch is because the bathroom is in the center of the trailer opposite the kitchen and can not be used for hauling . This has allowed the HCT to have 2 separate sleeping areas so 4 adults can sleep in separate areas or with the bunk you can sleep 2 adults in one area and 3 children in the other . Both sides have the adaptive cubes so you can change it to what ever you like or choose for the particular type of camping you are doing.
The HCT and HC1 have come a long way from their earlier builds as Happier Camper used to have their fg work contracted out but now own their own fg facility and control the quality and quantity of their builds although it has been with great difficulty due to the pandemic
You can take a virtual tour at Happier Camper. Com if you would like to see a detailed look of both the HC 1 and HCT
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #9

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: HC1
Rhode Island
Hi - we owned an HC1 for 3 years and just recently sold it to put our order in for the HCT. Happy to answer any questions you have if you want to DM me directly..
Jlponnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
happier camper