Happy Birthday to me! (and my Scamp and Tug) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Happy Birthday to me! (and my Scamp and Tug)

For my Birthday I decided to treat my Tug (2003 F-150) to new tires, and just for an added treat I also popped for a start-up Solar system (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281338666176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649). I thought the price was fair and the "kit" came with the MPPT Controller I wanted although two 50W or two 60W panels in suitcase fashion would have been preferred to the large single 100W. I am going to use it as a portable panel for now, guess I need to fab a stand of some fashion out of some sticks. I may someday mount panels on the Scamp but have thought for now I might actually mount the panel on the tug. My pickup has an old aluminum camper shell I don't mind drilling holes in and bolting the panel on top of it would go a long way to deterring theft. It also has the benefit of parking the Scamp in the shade and then maybe positioning the truck/panel for better presentation to the Sun. I am just dipping my toe in the Solar pool right now, but I have to start somewhere. Next will be an upgraded battery bank, probably two 6V.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
For my Birthday I decided to treat my Tug (2003 F-150) to new tires, and just for an added treat I also popped for a start-up Solar system (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281338666176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649). I thought the price was fair and the "kit" came with the MPPT Controller I wanted although two 50W or two 60W panels in suitcase fashion would have been preferred to the large single 100W. I am going to use it as a portable panel for now, guess I need to fab a stand of some fashion out of some sticks. I may someday mount panels on the Scamp but have thought for now I might actually mount the panel on the tug. My pickup has an old aluminum camper shell I don't mind drilling holes in and bolting the panel on top of it would go a long way to deterring theft. It also has the benefit of parking the Scamp in the shade and then maybe positioning the truck/panel for better presentation to the Sun. I am just dipping my toe in the Solar pool right now, but I have to start somewhere. Next will be an upgraded battery bank, probably two 6V.

Tim,
Congratulation's on your Birthday! May, I wish you a Happy Birthday!
Hope you enjoy your new solar panels! May you light up the darkness and make it bright as noonday!

Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Happy birthday Tim
Old 07-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #4

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
For my Birthday I decided to treat my Tug (2003 F-150) to new tires.
Happy birthday Tim! Glad to hear the F150 got new tires. My '01 just did too, Goodyear Wranglers. Needed them and couldn't wait for my birthday!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

I went to my local hardware store and bought some 1" angle aluminum and some 1" flat aluminum. I fashioned a folding stand out that. The stand is attached to the panel. Poprivets make the job pretty easy. Someplace on this site I pictures of the panel with it's frame.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Pictures are worth a lot of words.

Here's some picture I just took of my aluminum stand. The uprights and cross members are angle aluminum the short braces are flat.
The brass pieces are desk braces that work like a card table locks. The pivot point is a paper screw. One of those things that the threaded part goes well into the solid piece. There a couple short pieces of angle that attached to the factory panel frame. All non-moving attachments done with pop rivets. The last picture is the tail gate and just inside the bed of my truck. The panel slides under the light colored material and is held in place with tail gate.
Hope this helps a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2801.jpg   DSCN2802.jpg  

DSCN2803.jpg   DSCN2804.jpg  

Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #7

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The pivot point is a paper screw. One of those things that the threaded part goes well into the solid piece.
Thanks for the pics! My panel and stuff should come soon and I am getting caught up on other things on the Scamp so maybe I can play with my new Solar toys. I think the "paper screw" you describe is a "Chicago Screw" or as we called them in the trade, a "Sex Bolt" because it had a Male & Female side. And Sex Bolt sounds cooler than Chicago Screw. Although I suppose a Chicago Screw could be fun too.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The brass pieces are desk braces that work like a card table locks.
Note to self. Keep an eye open for Al ladders on garbage day.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #9

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Note to self. Keep an eye open for Al ladders on garbage day.
Ha! Was visiting a friend yesterday and spotted a crushed (looked kind of "backed into" if you get my drift) aluminum ladder behind his shed. And dang if I did not forget to ask him if I could have it before I left. I have another shot at it though, I am back over there tommorow to work on his A/C and I am going to "charge" him the aluminum ladder for my labor.

Tags
scamp