Happy Bomb Cyclone! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #1

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Happy Bomb Cyclone!

Stay warm my friends.

I had to break my door free of ice this morning to get out! Hopefully this is the only time my trailer and I will see a winter wonderland.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg  
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hidalga sure took a beating! What is the location of this photo? We are ready and waiting for our forecasted major storm....snowing now, with about 2" of fresh snow having fallen in the past 40 minutes--and MUCH more to come.

Nothing quite like a good blizzard when one has no where to go and a nice warm house to hole up in.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Western Maine. .Report. .Storm started at 9 AM and coming down at an inch an hour....Temp @ 1 PM 23F (knew it had to warm up if it was to snow) and flag on pole us swirling from North to South. Visability just under 200 feet. We just may get the 14 inches predicted.
Plan to go out and clear out road-side ridge at last light so it wont be too bad tomorrow morning. Hope every one is safe.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #4

NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
What is the location of this photo?...
Wilmington area, North Carolina.

The cold wasn't so bad as the wind that came with the storm. I had to stuff the bottom of my door from the draft. The roof vent is only plastic—no insulation. That's a note to self if I have to go through conditions like this again.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Watched the Boston news last evening and saw clips about the snow in Tallahassee, Florida, plus in Georgia as well as the Carolinas. Wicked! And after reading about BatDude's experiences with falling treelimbs and trailer damage, seems it truly has a huge reach.

Are you wintering in Hidalga? The vent could be stuffed with batt insulation or foam sandwiched between some reflectix to keep the cold out. And reflectix cut to fit the windows helps too...although it sure darkens the interior.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

NA
If I have to start insulating, that's a strong sign to pull up the stabilizer feet and roll somewhere warmer!

Hopefully we won't see any more Bomb Cyclones again. (Where did Meteorology get that label?) Bombogenesis, really? Sounds scarier than apocalypse!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalga View Post
If I have to start insulating, that's a strong sign to pull up the stabilizer feet and roll somewhere warmer!

Hopefully we won't see any more Bomb Cyclones again. (Where did Meteorology get that label?) Bombogenesis, really? Sounds scarier than apocalypse!
Terms like that don't seem to last long. Winter of '13-'14 seems like the first and last time we heard all about the Polar Vortex. I think it was too scary for the masses. Maybe bad for tourism? Up North, we just call it Winter.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #8

NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Terms like that don't seem to last long. Winter of '13-'14 seems like the first and last time we heard all about the Polar Vortex. I think it was too scary for the masses. Maybe bad for tourism? Up North, we just call it Winter.

Tom
LOL, that's right. I forgot about the Polar Vortex.
Yeah, it's bad enough to even deal with snowflakes now. All these labels give winter a bad rap. It's so dramatic.

Happy Winter Tom.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalga View Post
LOL, that's right. I forgot about the Polar Vortex.
Yeah, it's bad enough to even deal with snowflakes now. All these labels give winter a bad rap. It's so dramatic.

Happy Winter Tom.
Same to you Jeanine. If you're heading down to FL to escape the Bomb Cyclones, don't slow down. We'll be right behind you! Hope to see you in Sebring...

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #10

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I spent a couple winters in a stick built travel trailer. I was hooked up to utilities so I could keep a hair dryer handy to thaw the door open.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Here in Maine it's just a good old "Nor'Easter"
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #12

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Hope you all stay safe on the east coast with the cold and snowy weather. We arrived home after two weeks away (not with the trailer of course) to find only an inch or so of snow had fallen since we left. But we came from Thunder Bay where there's lots of snow and very cold weather. Here's our dash just west of Thunder Bay, it's C degrees but down there it's about the same in F (they meet at -40).

We're not taking the trailer south until March then it's straight to Green Eggs and Ham, can hardly wait.

Adrian
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_15d1.jpg  
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
This has been a strange winter here in the South. We got the cold, but missed out on the snow in GA since we live far from the coast. Will be heading to FL twice in the next two months, and will be sure to bring cold weather gear and ice scrapers just in case!
Jeanine, your pictures remind me of the winter storm we had while at Big Bend National Park in TX 2 years ago. I stepped out of our Scamp onto an ice covered step and slipped right on my posterior, but at least not a drop spilled from the coffee pot I was carrying!
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I will never forget about the Polar Vortex...possibly because there's something called the Oregon Vortex, which is a small amount based on visual cues that are a bit askew (a slewed over old building) and partly on smoke and mirrors perpetrated by the owners (LOOK! Can you see it's going up, when it's really going DOWN? CAN YOU?) Before the PV, WE just called it winter. Suddenly, it's a whole new thing!

NOW Bomb Cyclone! Used to be just ice storms, or, again, WINTER. Or Cold Snap. Or...

What would happen if a Polar Vortex and a Bomb Cyclone had a baby? Would it be called a Bomb Vortex? Or a Polar Cyclone? Or an Ice Demon? Or a Snow Dog?

What next?

And--hey, Where's BUCK when you need him? (As you love me!)

Kai
Old 01-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Bomb Cyclone is a decades old term, referenced in 1913 I believe.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Storm? What storm?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1031.jpg  
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #17

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Polar Vortex has been around forever. I think the mainstream media went crazy for it since it sounds really ominous, just like Bomb Cyclone. Ayuh, we call em Nor-Eastahs up heah.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Fake Weather

Even though Norfolk Va. got close to 12" of fine dry snow, that was not good enough for local TV Ch.13. To get a better effect they used fake falling snow graphics over shots of the outside reporters standing in the weather giving their reports. I guess they figured no one would notice. It looks like I got about 10" of fake snow graphics in my backyard from the storm.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #19

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBreez View Post
Storm? What storm?
Even here in FL temperatures are well below normal. Frozen Iguanas are falling from trees :-)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We are supposed to go above freezing next week for the first time in quite a while .
Hopefully it will get warm enough for the squirrels to thaw out.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote