Happy Canada Day, Happy 4th of July! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
I'm ready to roll out of here! It's time to hit the favorite campground where I'll be boondocking again...no one within an acre, right on a beautiful lake, quiet, serene, lots to paint!

If it rains, which is in the forecast, we'll be going to Minneapolis to the TMORA, the Russian Art Museum that is fabulous! And, we'll likely get to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. YAY! My favorite way to spend my day!

I had to look up Canada Day and found this information:

On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st.

So, the our neighbors to the North and my fellow Americans, have a great weekend!

Cheers!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Yea It'll go nuts this weekend. Both countries are taking Monday off this year. There will be fireworks all weekend long and the traffic will be horrendous. The dog'll go nuts.
Drive safe, enjouy yourselves and have a great weekend.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Please do not refer to the holiday occurring next week as "The 4th of July". The holiday is much more than just a date.

Please refer to the holiday next week as "Independence Day!", because that is what we are celebrating.

Thank you

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Please do not refer to the holiday occurring next week as "The 4th of July". The holiday is much more than just a date.

Please refer to the holiday next week as "Independence Day!", because that is what we are celebrating.

Thank you

-- Dan Meyer

Well shoot. I thought we were celebrating the 4th of July. The rains don't stop here until the 5th of July. So I guess you know what we are usually celebrating. Yup.. Independence Day, a couple months to be independent of our rain jackets.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Yea It'll go nuts this weekend. Both countries are taking Monday off this year. There will be fireworks all weekend long and the traffic will be horrendous. The dog'll go nuts.
Drive safe, enjouy yourselves and have a great weekend.
Same, James! Enjoy!
Old 06-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:

Thank you

-- Dan Meyer

Dan! I don't know anyone who calls the 4th of July, "Independence Day", including my history teacher husband! I don't think I ever been asked, "What are you doing over Independence Day?" or "Are you going to fireworks on "Independence Day?"
Does your family call it Independence Day? This is interesting as we're from the same state. If we were from different parts of the country I may have been less surprised.

Anyone out there call "The 4th" by another name?

Have a good one, Dan!

I had to come home for some medication I'd forgotten and to escape the flies that are terrible. I'm off to see if there's a remedy here for that other than the terrible sprays that I have already used!
Cheers!
G
Old 06-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element

Click image for larger version

Name:	flags.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	3725
Dan! I don't know anyone who calls the 4th of July, "Independence Day", including my history teacher husband! I don't think I ever been asked, "What are you doing over Independence Day?" or "Are you going to fireworks on "Independence Day?"
Does your family call it Independence Day? This is interesting as we're from the same state. If we were from different parts of the country I may have been less surprised.

Anyone out there call "The 4th" by another name?

Have a good one, Dan!

I had to come home for some medication I'd forgotten and to escape the flies that are terrible. I'm off to see if there's a remedy here for that other than the terrible sprays that I have already used!
Cheers!
G[/quote]

Like Dan, I call it Independence Day.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:04 PM   #8

Registry
Let's see independence day, 4th of July. hhmmmmm

OK. If we called in independence day the feds would change the holliday to always be on a Monday.
Since we call it "The 4th of July" we will continue to celebrate on the 4th of July.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
Both countries are [b]taking Monday off this year.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:

Ahhh, Poor Frederick doesn't get Monday off.

The good, Byron get's Monday off.
The bad, Anne has to work.
The good, Byron's planning on going flying with a couple friends. One in Cesna, the other in a glider.
The good, Anne doesn't like to fly in small planes so I can do this while she's working.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Both countries are taking Monday off this year.
Quote:
I don't get Monday off either Frederick!

I call July 4th...a day off from work Okay, I AM patriotic...and it IS the 4th of July for me. And I agree with Byron...if we call it Independence Day...someone will figure out a way to move the date to a Monday...just "because." That would be like moving Christmas from December 25 to a more "convenient" date.

We celebrate a number of ways on the 4th of July...but the big one is our Independence as a nation. May we ALWAYS be able to celebrate and may we ALWAYS remember the sacrifice of those who made it possible.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:58 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I get Monday off

I'll think about you Fred..

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #13

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:
Let's see independence day, 4th of July. hhmmmmm
OK. If we called in independence day the feds would change the holliday to always be on a Monday.
Since we call it "The 4th of July" we will continue to celebrate on the 4th of July.

Well, the Monday idea might not be so bad. After all, long before the Declaration of Independence was drafted, the colonies were already in rebellion against Great Britian. And the first resolution to call for Independence came in June, and the resolution to draft the final copy came a few days before the 4th. Also, no one signed the declaration until after the 4th.

And independence from England, it can be argued, really didn't happen until Sept. 4, 1783 with the signing of the Treaty of Paris. Or, one could argue for the the end of the fighting, and others could argue for the end of the War of 1812---AKA the second war for independence.

Now, if those colonies in the north had joined us in rebellion, we would all, perhaps, be celebrating the same day, but they decided to remain loyal to the crown for lots of reasons.

IMHO, the US, Canada, and Great Britain are all great countries, and who could vote against a Monday holiday?

Diane

P.S. We learned about Canada Day when we were in 100 Mile House, B.C.---the old VW broke down. A really nice young man interrupted his holiday to work on our car.
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
To our American neighbors ---Have a great celebration of your July 4th .