Harbor Freight Generator on Sale! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #21

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Mark, I like your "take" on all of this..even the last remarks of your first post about "keeping it positive" basically whether you like gens or not!

If you get this HF gen, I hope you will keep us posted. About 4 yrs ago, I bought the Champion 3500/4000. It's LOUD! But, it's VERY dependable. I always wished it had the "ECO" mode, but now, I'm not so certain! I use it on a model flying field where I go once a year. There's NO issues about "Noise" there as there's several running- especially at night.

There is ONE thing though I read on the gen you posted and want to pass it on....JUST in case this could be an issue for you. Hope this doesnt come across as being "Negative"- certainly not at Gens..but a concern for this one. This came off of one of their reviews:

"It just so happens I work in a large shop which repairs military generators. After buying this generator, I could not wait until I could put this inverter generator on a calibrated load bank. The generator is rated at 2200 watts with a peak of 2500. The little generator just will not do it. It will hold a little over 1900 watts for long periods, and kick the over load light on around its peak of 2100 watts. Again,the equipment we tested this with is calibrated yearly. It seems to put out very clean power to run your electronics. Another draw back to the unit is the generator is wire to stay in the econ mode which means the engine will slow down without a load. This is not always a bad thing because it save on fuel; however, it takes a split second to spin up to full throttle. This causes problems when items such as small compressors, saws, RV A/C, etc. are used. Most other generators in this size have an econ switch which when switch off allows the generator to run at full power. At full power this generator would have the power need to start small to medium motors. Having said all of this, the generators would be great for electronics and lights/ small heaters. It seems to be well built with good quality control done. I would not recommend this for refrigerators because the sudden voltage drop and then surge of power when the motor kicks in can damage the refrigerator."

Even at 1900 watts it still outperforms the competition. I'm sure the Honda doesn't put out exactly 1700 watts, I bet it's less. I don't understand how the ECO mode on a generator damages motors at startup. Electric motors are just a coil of wire and some bearings. I've seen houses that brown out when the AC turns on, and their ACs are 20 years old. They have never had a problem. I know people that have the old rounded corner refrigerators and when they come on the lights dim, 30 years later they're still running!
I ran my generator on ECO mode for four years and never had a problem with the AC. Has someone done research on how it affects an electric motor? What exactly happens when there is a low voltage for a short period at startup that will damage an electric motor.
I've had capacitors go out on my AC and the motor locked for full day! It was so hot I couldn't even touch it! I just changed the capacitor and the motor is still working today!
I know everyone here has had a capacitor go out on an electric motor and the motor just sit humming without starting for hours if not days! Only to replace the starting capacitor and it runs like a champ.
I read that review and believed it, until I got to the electric motor damage. Sometimes they send these people to a one week training and now they're engineers! Besides our refrigerators don't have a compressor anyway! Jk
Thanks Darryl, I really appreciate your help,
Marky

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
A buddy of mine bought a HF generator 6 years ago for the deer hunting shack
The main reason he bought it was it was cheap but so is he.
It runs almost constantly during the 10 days of deer hunting season and has never failed.
Yes , it's not a Honda but it serves its purpose.
I would rather go camping , then sit at home admiring my shiny Honda generator.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
But Steve, You are not able to complain about the high price and Marky, I have one of those old air cooled VWs, 1974 Thing, want a buy it ??
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:06 PM   #24

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
But Steve, You are not able to complain about the high price and Marky, I have one of those old air cooled VWs, 1974 Thing, want a buy it ??
We took a buddy's VW thing deer hunting back in the 70's .
We drove for 4 hours up to Northern Minnesota .
It was colder riding in the Thing than it was outdoors.
We had some cans of beer stored in the doors which froze within an hour. Plus it was useless in snow!!
So thanks but no thanks
Old 08-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A VW Beetle with no amenities.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #26

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A buddy of mine bought a HF generator 6 years ago for the deer hunting shack
The main reason he bought it was it was cheap but so is he.
It runs almost constantly during the 10 days of deer hunting season and has never failed.
Yes , it's not a Honda but it serves its purpose.
I would rather go camping , then sit at home admiring my shiny Honda generator.

That's what I wanted to hear Steve, about someone who had actually owned one. Whether it be good or bad. I'm going to take the plunge and buy it. It's too hot in South Texas. I was reading the manual and I need to run it 24 hours, then change the oil before I can put a full load on it. I'll let you guys know how the generator performed over the weekend.
Thanks again everyone for such great responses.
The adventure begins!
Marky!

Old 08-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #27

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
That's what I wanted to hear Steve, about someone who had actually owned one. Whether it be good or bad. I'm going to take the plunge and buy it. It's too hot in South Texas. I was reading the manual and I need to run it 24 hours, then change the oil before I can put a full load on it. I'll let you guys know how the generator performed over the weekend.
Thanks again everyone for such great responses.
The adventure begins!
Marky!

One thing to take into account is that deer season in Minnesota and Wisconsin is in November so temps are below freezing to below zero. Using any generator in 130 deg temperatures such as texas in the summer may have an affect on its operation. I know hot weather has a terrible affect on me.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #28

Texas
Quote:
We took a buddy's VW thing deer hunting back in the 70's .

We drove for 4 hours up to Northern Minnesota .

It was colder riding in the Thing than it was outdoors.

We had some cans of beer stored in the doors which froze within an hour. Plus it was useless in snow!!

So thanks but no thanks

Steve my wife and I took a trip to Tennessee and it was snowing and really iced up. Being from south Texas where it never snows I had no experience driving on ice. The tires were also bald! The Beetle slid, hit the curb and slowly landed on its side. We climbed up the drivers side and opened the door. A truck with two guys stopped and helped me roll it back. They helped me pull out the fenders so the tires wouldn't scrape, and drove it back to Texas.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #29

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Plus it was useless in snow!!
I had a totally different experience, Steve! I grew up high in the Colorado Rockies and went to graduate school in the Appalachians of West Virginia, and my little '71 Super Beetle was one of the best "snow goers" I ever owned! Having the weight of the rear engine right over the rear drive wheels gave that little car tons of traction. That said, steering on ice and snow, with the light front end, was sometimes a challenge! Now, what was the thread topic again?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #30

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have several HF inverter generators.
One at work where is is in the mix with Honda EU2000s and EU3000s and while the HF is heavier than the Honda 2000s on our db meter they measure about the same at normal operating loads.
The secret is cutting off the fuel when you shut down and using stabilizer in the fuel and if possible use only "pure" gas if possible.
At home I run mine or RUL with (maybe 10% ethanol) no problems.
Also run the generator for maybe 10 hours and change the oil. We use Royal Purple 30 wt in all of our generators.
Several of my maintenance men bought the HF units after we tested them side by side.
Somewhere on the threads her I posted a short item on making an intake silencer for the HF unit. And with this intake silencer the HF is as quiet as the Honda, Heavier, but as quiet.
How much is the weight worth to you and add that the difference in cost and decide what you want.
The HF unit does not have an ECO mode, but it puts out more power than the EU2000.
Mine has served fairly well.
The only time I have had any problems starting is when I forgot to turn the fuel valve under the pull cord off.
We exercise out generators regularly and this helps keep them reliable.
We rely on these (and have spares) for outage power and emergencies.
One note we have had one of our Hondas stolen, but the HF is still here.
Now that speaks to the discernment of the thief and the fact that we have more Hondas.
I bought the HF just to compare it to the Hondas and bought one for myself after trying it at work and comparing to the Premium Hondas.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
GOOD write-up Red! And Marky...will be watching/waiting/anticipating your epxeriences with the HF gen!

[QUOTE=redbarron55;603128]I have several HF inverter generators.
One at work where is is in the mix with Honda EU2000s and EU3000s and while the HF is heavier than the Honda 2000s on our db meter they measure about the same at normal operating loads.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #32

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
When I look up the generator, it says $449. I tried entering the coupon # from 1st page, but it's not accepted. I wonder if this is only certain stores?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #33

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
When I look up the generator, it says $449. I tried entering the coupon # from 1st page, but it's not accepted. I wonder if this is only certain stores?
Same here.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #34

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Sometimes the sales are sent to inside track members in a mailed flyer.
This could be where he saw the sale.
My guys were talking about it this morning and this is probably where they saw the sale price.
We bought in a previous sale where there was coupon that reduced the price to 399 from 499.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #35

Texas
I agree with Darry, really great write up Red. I got an email from HF with their flyer. It didn't come in the mail. I bet if you took it to the store it would work.
I bought the HF generator and filled it with oil and gas. I have it running right now. It says in the manual to run it for 24 hours, and change the oil before putting a full load on it. I connected a 300 watt light to it and it didn't even hiccup. It is noisier thank a Honda, but I expected that. It's about as loud as the 3000 watt Honda, but not as loud as two EU2000s. It also has a bigger 125cc engine than Hondas 98cc and puts out more power. So it has to be heavier. It could be an alternative for some, to carrying two generators. If all that is needed is a little more power. Hondas are great generators but for the cost of repairs, this just might be something to think about.
It is heavier but than again, bigger engine and more power. The HF generator has a two year warranty. 90 days for exchange at the store and the rest is repair. They have an extended exchange for one year, for $79, two years for $129. This is also something to think about. If your traveling an your generator breaks down, just take it to any HF store and have it exchanged and you're off to enjoy your vacation.
I'm going to lookup your HF intake mod Red. I get it when people say they don't like generators. I also get it when they say to camp in cooler areas. Those are not an option, as we can't move the ranch! Lol! I'm also posting a picture as to why this generator is a necessary evil! You can imagine how hot it is in the Casita!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1470963970.649761.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	98433

Old 08-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #36

Texas
I was just thinking, the coupon might be exclusive to my email. For those of you who want an HF generator, try getting on their mailing list so they can send you the flier. Then cancel when they do.
Marky

Old 08-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #37

Texas
Harbor Freight Generator on Sale!

Update, the HF generator has been running for about 15 hours and it's kept a constant 120 Volts of AC loaded and unloaded. I plugged in a 300watt work lamp on it for an hour and it kept a constant 120.5V.
I measured the voltage at my house and it's 124.5 volts! The generator has better voltage regulation!

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1471011485.233595.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	98436

Happy Camping!
Marky
Old 08-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When you're signed up with HF, they do/will send exclusive coupons. And -from what they've told me- EVERY coupon printed is "serialized"...meaning once that number is "scanned" in at HF, it can no longer be used. Just be glad someone didnt take your advice, print the coupon and beat you to HF!!!

Thanks for the update...sounds like you have a REAL winner there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
I was just thinking, the coupon might be exclusive to my email. For those of you who want an HF generator, try getting on their mailing list so they can send you the flier. Then cancel when they do.
Marky

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #39

Texas
The HF generator worked great! It powered the Air Conditioner without a hiccup. When the AC turned on it just accelerated with no problems. I couldn't even hear it running in the Casita at all!
I'm having problems with my refrigerator on propane and switched it from gas to AC. The generator just accelerated a tiny bit. It ran both with no problems, in 108 degrees! It used about the same amount of gas as my Honda 2000.
The Honda 2000 seemed to struggle a little when the AC compressor kicked in, but the HF generator with its extra 500 watts had smooth startups. Even with the fridge running on 120v.
I turned off the compressor on the AC using the thermostat, to use the 800 watt microwave. I ran the AC on low cool all the time. It was colder than I needed.
With a two year warranty, yes I would recommend the HF generator.
Marky

Happy Camping!
Marky
Old 08-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #40

Texas
Harbor Freight just came out with a lower price on the generator today! $349! I just bought mine for $369. This is an even better deal!

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1471317938.836525.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	98561

Tags
generator