"Hard to Eggnore" is finally being worked on! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #21

Name: Quincy
Trailer: Playpac
North Carolina
Shrimpscampi- Thank you for commenting on the fabric! I am going for a "vintage modern retro look" so I thought some patterned reptile-ish fabric would fit the bill! I am still deciding what to do for the curtains so I would love your opinion when I get around to posting some possible fabric ideas

Bobdobqb- I have an update coming for you in the next post- excited to show you our progress!

Cam in Carolina- I would be absolutely thrilled once we get up and running to come meet ya'll in Charlotte! One of my big dreams once we get our project done is to meet our fellow eggheads and take some pictures together, and if we enjoy camping in our Egg as much as I think we will the long term goal is to eventually drive it down to Florida and meet Steven Whysel and show off our rebuild of his original Playpac

DavidG- Thank you so much for the suggestion! We are looking into some alternatives now and will update with what we decide to go with. Hopefully I can find something that looks a bit retro to keep with the theme

And dad (CCoghill) I love you and thank you for taking the time to work on this monster with me! After sitting for five years I think its earned its name in being a "Hard to Eggnore" project and I look forward to finishing it with you and spending more time with you! Love you!

Qbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #22

North Carolina
Update of the week! Hello everyone! I hope the weather has been holding out good for you guys- because its been raining cats and dogs this week! Before it started raining we did manage to finish our floor completely with plywood and get our vinyl in. For the plywood floor we had to add some wooden bracers until the resin dried so our floor would be even and then we took them out. After the floor was down good I had to fiberglass the edges to make it as waterproof as possible. I managed this using fiberglass mat. This is slightly different from the cloth in that it is a haphazard mash of layers and a bit thicker. It requires more resin and would probably benefit from a dip and lay method vs. painting on like I did. However, it worked and didn’t look too bad once we sanded it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Playpac photo - 1 of 13.jpg   Playpac photo - 2 of 13.jpg  

Playpac photo - 5 of 13.jpg   Playpac photo - 6 of 13.jpg  

Playpac photo - 7 of 13.jpg   Playpac photo - 9 of 13.jpg  

Old 05-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #23

North Carolina
After the edges had been sanded down we used a Universal flooring adhesive that I bought at Home depot for around $38 for a gallon. I ended up needing around 1.5 gallons to lay the floor out. To lay it I highly recommend a large wavy edge because the small one I used took a bit more time- total lay down time before the adhesive “seals” is 45 minutes according to the adhesive directions and it took me about 40 to do from the wheel well to the back. Basically you lay this stuff out and then use your edged tool to leave a nice little pattern and then lay your vinyl on it and roll it out using a rolling pin.

To start we did a square section in the middle of the trailer. We let that dry for a day and went back and did the wheel wells to the back section. Last we still need to apply the adhesive and do the front section. It has laid out very nicely and it is definitely stuck on there- we are very excited to be able to start on the walls next. We also still need to trim the edges of our vinyl once it is completely laid down. We plan on bringing the Nautolex down to where the edge of our seats/cabinets begins so we are working on getting the measurements we need so we can order the Nautolex.

The Nautolex runs around $22.99 a linear yard and we are going to be ordering locally- however, it is available on Ebay and Amazon. We calculated that we will need about 12 yards to be on the safe side, I will update with how much we end up using!
Attached Thumbnails
Playpac photo - 8 of 13.jpg   Playpac photo - 10 of 13.jpg  

Playpac photo - 11 of 13.jpg   Playpac photo - 13 of 13.jpg  

Playpac photo - 12 of 13.jpg  
Old 05-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #24

North Carolina
Next weeks goal (since the rain does not seem to be stopping!) is to first clean the walls and ceiling of the trailer with soap/water and mold control spray. Then we plan to remove the bolts on the ceiling and fiberglass/caulk them in to waterproof them. After that dries and is waterproof we will be checking to see where our ceiling leak is coming from right now (we think maybe from the fan screws which have yet to be caulked). Once we solve our leaky roof we will be measuring out and adding our pleated marine vinyl to the ceiling. We are very excited to share our journey with everyone and can’t wait to update more!

Bonus!

Fun side project I have been working on until my sewing 1 class starts- a bike basket for my little chihuahua babies Ember (short hair) and Cheese (long hair)! I’m practicing my skills in preparation to learn how to reupholster the cushions for the trailer and my dads bus myself. I plan on using black cording around the edges of the leather fabric I showed earlier. Right now I definitely need to take a class- because my edges are not the straightest! However, I am actually able to thread my machine and bobbin and get it working and sewing so I consider that a huge achievement. Here’s my little babies below!
Attached Thumbnails
Playpac photo - 1 of 1.jpg   Playpac photo - 4 of 13.jpg  

Playpac photo - 3 of 13.jpg  
Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #25

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Looks like very good, very careful work and thanks for the excellent,detailed pictures.

Walt
Old 05-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #26

Name: Lesley
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Your fur babies are adorable and they are lucky to have such a talented mom and super handy grandpa!! Your trailer is looking good - I love hearing about your progress!
shrimpscampi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccoghill View Post
Your Dad must work hard and love you bunches to work on that awful floor. Oh yea I am your Dad and I do.
Beautiful sentiment! You’re a super dad and you both are doing a first class restoration
Happy trails and stay well
PaPac aka Steve Whysel

steven whysel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
play–pac