"Hard to Eggnore" is finally being worked on! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #21

Name: Quincy
Trailer: Playpac
North Carolina
Shrimpscampi- Thank you for commenting on the fabric! I am going for a "vintage modern retro look" so I thought some patterned reptile-ish fabric would fit the bill! I am still deciding what to do for the curtains so I would love your opinion when I get around to posting some possible fabric ideas

Bobdobqb- I have an update coming for you in the next post- excited to show you our progress!

Cam in Carolina- I would be absolutely thrilled once we get up and running to come meet ya'll in Charlotte! One of my big dreams once we get our project done is to meet our fellow eggheads and take some pictures together, and if we enjoy camping in our Egg as much as I think we will the long term goal is to eventually drive it down to Florida and meet Steven Whysel and show off our rebuild of his original Playpac

DavidG- Thank you so much for the suggestion! We are looking into some alternatives now and will update with what we decide to go with. Hopefully I can find something that looks a bit retro to keep with the theme

And dad (CCoghill) I love you and thank you for taking the time to work on this monster with me! After sitting for five years I think its earned its name in being a "Hard to Eggnore" project and I look forward to finishing it with you and spending more time with you! Love you!
Qbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #22

North Carolina
Update of the week! Hello everyone! I hope the weather has been holding out good for you guys- because its been raining cats and dogs this week! Before it started raining we did manage to finish our floor completely with plywood and get our vinyl in. For the plywood floor we had to add some wooden bracers until the resin dried so our floor would be even and then we took them out. After the floor was down good I had to fiberglass the edges to make it as waterproof as possible. I managed this using fiberglass mat. This is slightly different from the cloth in that it is a haphazard mash of layers and a bit thicker. It requires more resin and would probably benefit from a dip and lay method vs. painting on like I did. However, it worked and didn’t look too bad once we sanded it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Playpac photo - 1 of 13.jpg   Playpac photo - 2 of 13.jpg  

Playpac photo - 5 of 13.jpg   Playpac photo - 6 of 13.jpg  

Playpac photo - 7 of 13.jpg   Playpac photo - 9 of 13.jpg  

Old 05-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #23

North Carolina
After the edges had been sanded down we used a Universal flooring adhesive that I bought at Home depot for around $38 for a gallon. I ended up needing around 1.5 gallons to lay the floor out. To lay it I highly recommend a large wavy edge because the small one I used took a bit more time- total lay down time before the adhesive “seals” is 45 minutes according to the adhesive directions and it took me about 40 to do from the wheel well to the back. Basically you lay this stuff out and then use your edged tool to leave a nice little pattern and then lay your vinyl on it and roll it out using a rolling pin.

To start we did a square section in the middle of the trailer. We let that dry for a day and went back and did the wheel wells to the back section. Last we still need to apply the adhesive and do the front section. It has laid out very nicely and it is definitely stuck on there- we are very excited to be able to start on the walls next. We also still need to trim the edges of our vinyl once it is completely laid down. We plan on bringing the Nautolex down to where the edge of our seats/cabinets begins so we are working on getting the measurements we need so we can order the Nautolex.

The Nautolex runs around $22.99 a linear yard and we are going to be ordering locally- however, it is available on Ebay and Amazon. We calculated that we will need about 12 yards to be on the safe side, I will update with how much we end up using!
Attached Thumbnails
Playpac photo - 8 of 13.jpg   Playpac photo - 10 of 13.jpg  

Playpac photo - 11 of 13.jpg   Playpac photo - 13 of 13.jpg  

Playpac photo - 12 of 13.jpg  
Old 05-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #24

North Carolina
Next weeks goal (since the rain does not seem to be stopping!) is to first clean the walls and ceiling of the trailer with soap/water and mold control spray. Then we plan to remove the bolts on the ceiling and fiberglass/caulk them in to waterproof them. After that dries and is waterproof we will be checking to see where our ceiling leak is coming from right now (we think maybe from the fan screws which have yet to be caulked). Once we solve our leaky roof we will be measuring out and adding our pleated marine vinyl to the ceiling. We are very excited to share our journey with everyone and can’t wait to update more!

Bonus!

Fun side project I have been working on until my sewing 1 class starts- a bike basket for my little chihuahua babies Ember (short hair) and Cheese (long hair)! I’m practicing my skills in preparation to learn how to reupholster the cushions for the trailer and my dads bus myself. I plan on using black cording around the edges of the leather fabric I showed earlier. Right now I definitely need to take a class- because my edges are not the straightest! However, I am actually able to thread my machine and bobbin and get it working and sewing so I consider that a huge achievement. Here’s my little babies below!
Attached Thumbnails
Playpac photo - 1 of 1.jpg   Playpac photo - 4 of 13.jpg  

Playpac photo - 3 of 13.jpg  
Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #25

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Looks like very good, very careful work and thanks for the excellent,detailed pictures.

Walt
Old 05-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #26

Name: Lesley
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Your fur babies are adorable and they are lucky to have such a talented mom and super handy grandpa!! Your trailer is looking good - I love hearing about your progress!
shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccoghill View Post
Your Dad must work hard and love you bunches to work on that awful floor. Oh yea I am your Dad and I do.
Beautiful sentiment! You’re a super dad and you both are doing a first class restoration
Happy trails and stay well
PaPac aka Steve Whysel
steven whysel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #28

North Carolina
Wink

What an honor to have The PaPac comment on our post! Welcome and hopefully we can meet you in person one day and show you our restoration of your time honored design

WaltP- thank you for following us, finally have somewhat of an update for ya'll! We're still here

Shrimpscampi- Thank you, they are very spoiled and loving every minute of it!

Now for some more updates for everyone! We haven't had as much time to work on our lovely "Hard to Eggnore" lately but we do have some very exciting updates.

My dad was super busy doing the wiring around the whole trailer! We had to order some trailer specific wiring (pictures below) online because we couldn't find it in the store. He also ran many different types of wires which we labeled with a label maker. Plan is to have multiple plugs in the trailer for phone charging, the light on the ceiling, and outdoor light, and more.

After many hot days working outside doing the wiring my dad was ready for me to step back in and this time around we finally tackled getting the pleated marine vinyl spray adhesived to our ceiling. It was a messy job and I definitely recommend having a few extra hands.

First things first we had to measure out our ceiling and find our center line so we could match it to the center of the trailer (as best as we could). We did this using a chalk line and we had to cut our vinyl to size. The vinyl we ordered works best with the 90m strength adhesive spray. This spray is also said to work best for attaching the Nautolex to the walls (I will update with how it goes).
So let me ask- have you ever tried to attach something heavy upside down?

If your answer is no- let me tell you it was a doozy! The ceiling had to be sprayed multiple layers of adhesive spray as well as the back of the vinyl. We had to spray one area at a time and keep the piece whole so we wouldn't have to worry about piecing things together later on. Then we had to stand with our arms up (pretty sure that counts as a bicep workout) and hold the piece until it was adhesived enough to not fall. We cut as we went so we ended up cutting out the square for the ceiling fan and the circle for the dome as we got to them while keeping lined up with the center line as much as we could.

Notice the marine vinyl does not go across the top completely- that is ok! We plan to cover some straight thin pieces of wood with our leather fabric to go between where the marine vinyl and Nautolex will line up to look really nice

Below pictures are the images of our wiring and how the marine vinyl looks after being put on the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Playpac photo 2 - 1 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 2 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 3 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 4 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 5 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 6 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 7 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 9 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 10 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 13 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 11 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 16 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 17 of 32.jpg  
Old 08-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #29

North Carolina
After we got the ceiling on I got to work on creating my fabric lined circular wooden cutout that will be going around the dome. Dad helped by being my model to show off how we had to cut the fabric to fit. We decided to use the same fabric that we will use for our cushions later on. I was able to attach it to the wood using the same adhesive spray. This spray was held down with chip clips until it was dried properly on both sides of the fabric. For the fabric that we had in the middle it was hard to get it to adhesive onto the top of the Playpac. We were able to achieve the stretch by slightly cutting in some spots and using a heat gun in others (since our fabric is leathery in texture it could withstand the heat). After it was dry we screwed it into our fiberglass ceiling in preparation of adding our dome on top! As you can see I was a perfect fit inside the dome shape so that really worked out because I had to adhesive spray the top of the fabric to the fiberglass that the dome will be sitting on myself! This will help to hide our edges and look really cool! Below you can see how it looked with the chip clips on and then when it was completely done how nice it looks without them!

We went ahead and attached that piece and then we lined up our custom made dome. We drilled into the acrylic to match the holes we made to put our wooden base up and it worked fabulously! Here you get to see how the dome will look once it is permanently down- which we will be doing in the upcoming few weeks!

In addition we fixed some of our "saggy" spots that were on the marine vinyl on the ceiling due to the Playpac shape not being entirely flat on top. The future plan for the square that will surround the fan will be to cover it with the Nautolex fabric so it will be more of a white to match the ceiling and not stand out too much.

We are very excited to keep sharing our progress with everyone and please feel free to leave us a comment or ask any questions
Attached Thumbnails
Playpac photo 2 - 8 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 19 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 21 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 22 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 23 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 25 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 12 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 15 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 18 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 16 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 26 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 27 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 28 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 29 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 30 of 32.jpg   Playpac photo 2 - 31 of 32.jpg  

Playpac photo 2 - 32 of 32.jpg  
Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #30

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Wow, that's some great progress and some great pics. Thanks for taking the time to bring us up to date. I'll sure make it a point to come see it once you are finished.

Walt
Old 08-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #31

North Carolina
WaltP- thank you, I would love to meet other members of the community so it would be wonderful to meet you as well Can't wait to get to the point that everyone can see this beauty!

Toomoody- Here are the pictures of the axle for you! If you need anything else please let me know

And for anyone who is wondering what the axle looks like here's some pics below, I tried to get the part info in there as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled Album - 1 of 11.jpg   Untitled Album - 3 of 11.jpg  

Untitled Album - 4 of 11.jpg   Untitled Album - 5 of 11.jpg  

Untitled Album - 7 of 11.jpg   Untitled Album - 8 of 11.jpg  

Untitled Album - 9 of 11.jpg   Untitled Album - 10 of 11.jpg  

Untitled Album - 11 of 11.jpg  
Old 08-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #32

Baby,s getting a new set of clothes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbird View Post
After we got the ceiling on I got to work on creating my fabric lined circular wooden cutout that will be going around the dome. Dad helped by being my model to show off how we had to cut the fabric to fit. We decided to use the same fabric that we will use for our cushions later on. I was able to attach it to the wood using the same adhesive spray. This spray was held down with chip clips until it was dried properly on both sides of the fabric. For the fabric that we had in the middle it was hard to get it to adhesive onto the top of the Playpac. We were able to achieve the stretch by slightly cutting in some spots and using a heat gun in others (since our fabric is leathery in texture it could withstand the heat). After it was dry we screwed it into our fiberglass ceiling in preparation of adding our dome on top! As you can see I was a perfect fit inside the dome shape so that really worked out because I had to adhesive spray the top of the fabric to the fiberglass that the dome will be sitting on myself! This will help to hide our edges and look really cool! Below you can see how it looked with the chip clips on and then when it was completely done how nice it looks without them!

We went ahead and attached that piece and then we lined up our custom made dome. We drilled into the acrylic to match the holes we made to put our wooden base up and it worked fabulously! Here you get to see how the dome will look once it is permanently down- which we will be doing in the upcoming few weeks!

In addition we fixed some of our "saggy" spots that were on the marine vinyl on the ceiling due to the Playpac shape not being entirely flat on top. The future plan for the square that will surround the fan will be to cover it with the Nautolex fabric so it will be more of a white to match the ceiling and not stand out too much.

We are very excited to keep sharing our progress with everyone and please feel free to leave us a comment or ask any questions
It sure makes me happy and proud to see another of my “children” getting a new Lee’s on life. I do appreciate the hard work you both are doing . It is looking like a professional restoration. Looking forward to the “baby’s new clothes” Happy trails
PaPac
Old 08-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #33

Name: Matt
New York
Thanks

Thanks so much, Qbird! I love this community willing to crawl under their trailer and take some pictures to help out a random internet stranger!
toomoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
its so great to see you and your dad working together. Dad you done a good job with her. you will forever cherish the memories.
you guys keep up the good work. once you get the roof sealed up get yourself a laundry basket and throw it over your bubble to keep the sun off the bubble and still provide ventilation too. then just take it off when you go in a trip.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:32 AM   #35

North Carolina
Hello everyone, it has certainly been a while but we are still here in NC and still kicking!

First of all, sewing classes are going good! I have made a pillow and its own cording and am working on a tote bag. Still chugging along to eventually learn how to sew my fabric onto my awesome 6foot long cushions in the Playpac! I am currently enrolled to start sewing II and pattern drafting in the spring.

Family updates- I got engaged to my best friend, Paul! We've been together for over four years now and are very excited to plan our wedding for Labor Day 2021. I also signed up to go back to school to earn my bachelors in nursing online with an RN to BSN program that will start in the spring. Thanksgiving and Christmas were wonderful! Had a lot of time to enjoy life with the family, and dad finally got the cooler he wanted! (it has stickers to make it look like a VW bus). Hadn't had a lot of time to work on the Playpac with the weather changes and motivation has been hard on me and dad. However, we plan on getting back into it very soon!

Why did motivation tank?.... Well... no one restores things without a few bumps right? The ceiling on little Eggnore that we had sprayed the 3M adhesive to secure and held up with our arms to hopefully set actually fell down a few days after we hung it. It is barely hanging on by a thread due to the sole fact that we kept our makeshift stand in there attached to the ceiling. The spray was our first big FAIL, but what's life without a few mistakes?

In conclusion, we are going to be experimenting with a different type of adhesive. I have done a lot of research and it seems like epoxy resin holds very well (but I don't want to use this because of how hard i think it would be to apply it onto a ceiling) and also something called contact cement. In my research it appears a lot of people attach fabrics such as vinyl to their boat frames using contact cement and it works wonders. A huge 32oz can at home depot is only around $9! Contact cement appears to go on well with rollers and sets in around 15 minutes. I will be purchasing some soon and experimenting with a small patch to see how well it holds before we do the whole thing.

As soon as we are finished getting the ceiling on (I think) our next step is going to be working on measuring out where we need to put things for the framework. Dad just showed me the Facebook Playpac group (I do not have Facebook) and it appears one of the new posters may have the dimensions for the bathroom! (That is the one dimension we sorely need and are missing). If anyone has these dimensions we would love for you to share with us!
Attached Thumbnails
playpac disaster - 12 of 12.jpg   playpac disaster - 1 of 12.jpg  

playpac disaster - 2 of 12.jpg   playpac disaster - 3 of 12.jpg  

playpac disaster - 4 of 12.jpg   playpac disaster - 5 of 12.jpg  

playpac disaster - 6 of 12.jpg   playpac disaster - 7 of 12.jpg  

playpac disaster - 8 of 12.jpg   playpac disaster - 10 of 12.jpg  

Old 12-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #36

“Baby’s” getting a new set of clothes

Looking top notch so far, this baby should Go to an RV museum after you give it a few years on the road. Can’t wait to see the finished product!
Stay well and stay safe my friend.
Happy trails
PaPac aka Steve Whysel
Old 12-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #37

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Great job and enthusiasm! For the ceiling, contact cement would be the way to go. Apply to both surfaces, let dry, apply second coat and let tack. Make sure the fabric is where you want it because once the two surfaces touch, they're permanent.

https://www.google.com/search?q=usin...KP9PwPrPW7sAo4

https://www.google.com/search?client...sK7tAbFs7_ICQ3
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:56 PM   #38

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
I just discovered this thread and it was very interesting to read.

Yes, I've done heavy stuff overhead. Not fun. We had to replace the ceiling in two rooms of the needed-lots-of-work house we moved in to 18 years ago. And then painting the ceiling wasn't fun either. Yes, you get a *very* good workout with all that overhead work.

Bummer on the ceiling cover falling down. Looks like someone else has agreed with you on the contact cement. Getting the ceiling in (and staying in place) will do wonders for your motivation, I'm sure.

Congrats on the engagement.

Great pillow! I sewed mine with the no-zipper method, or whatever it's called. The back sections overlap so you can slide the pillow in and work the fabric around it. Very easy to remove when you want to wash them or replace with another pattern. I used a cat theme throughout.

My husband said he hadn't seen me use the sewing machine so much in all our years together, until we got the trailer. I've done lots of pillow covers and then napkins with the leftover bits that are too small for pillow covers. And a curtain for the bathroom window.

Love the bubble dome!

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #39

North Carolina
Update

Hello everyone!
Just wanted to let you know we are still here and getting ready to start working back on the PAC! It’s been a very busy year- I went back to school and have just graduated with my bachelors in nursing. I got married and we bought a house! I’ve also been busy taking furniture reupholstry classes and have learned how to redo cushions with cording and zippers. I have been working on the VW bus cushions and will post pics of them soon!

Thank you for all of your support and I look forward to continuing our journey on this restoration together.

I appreciate the comment about the contact cement we will be using that for the roof and plan to start working in small sections starting this month. Will also post an update pic of the Playpac and where it’s at! As always if you have any questions or need any pictures in detail as we work on each part let me know and I’ll be sure to get that for you.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #40

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hoping to see this combination at some VW show in the future. We had planned to use our Uhaul VT at shows with our VW pickup, but we never got the pickup fixed up to do this. We did win a big, tacky trophy with our Eurovan pulling our Burro. Won't happen now, with the Bigfoot Silver Cloud, but since our granddaughter was born on the weekend of the VW show we usually go to, and we have not been back there since then (She is 10.).

CindyL

PS: We sold the pickup but still have our '69 Autostickshift Beetle and my 2007 New Beetle convertible.
Attached Thumbnails
uhauldubuque.jpg   68 VW Truck .jpg  

VW Beetle 1.png  
Attached Images

Tags
play–pac