He should have bought a fiberglass trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have had to delete a couple posts that were a personal attack on the OP, and a whole bunch more follow up posts that were off topic.

Seeing their is nothing malicious about the OP, and when I read the title and post just found it to be an FYI thing, there is nothing wrong with it. If it goes nowhere it dies out, but if folks want to discuss bad bugs infesting stick builts, then go right ahead, but stay on topic.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyoung View Post
Well, I can remember back in the early days of fiberglass boats that there was talk of the polyestermites that bored holes in fiberglass boat hulls.
I was interested in the polyestertermites, so I Googled to learn a little more and found this insightful exchange regarding another potential hazard we all face...

From a boater's forum:
  • Q: What destroys the fiberglass on your boat over time?

• A: UV is the#1 enemy, followed closely by idiot brothers-in-law
I wonder what the treatment is for that? Maybe empty the beer cooler and just hope he goes away?

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #23

Name: Christian
Trailer: Casita 17'LD
Alabama
He should have bought a fiberglass trailer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I think his title explains why he posted here: Lesson learned, and a lesson for others. I found the information useful, and the title implies that his subject was that he hadn't bought fiberglass. No foul.
That is the whole point. Nobody on a fiberglass trailer forum will ever read about a trailer being eaten alive by beetles unless it is 'pasted' there. I am sure glad somebody 'pasted' the story and pictures of aluminum clad trailers going through a hail storm in Colorado. My trailer search list got a lot shorter.
A few years ago; we were looking at buying an A frame and followed a FR (Forest River) forum among others. Out of the blue, a 2006 17' Casita popped up on Craig List. A trailer with a bona fide toilet compartment; my wife's no.1 requirement. She said ... that's the one!
We are still lurking on the RF forums and wince every time they mention ordering more Eternabond tape, or their frozen lifting rods, or the costly destruction of a square wheel well due to a tire blow out, etc. When I glanced at the "Infested" thread from MacOtac with his one month old trailer and 1st payment made; I told my wife "That takes the cake" Those Postpowder Beetles we ran into while house hunting are now taking to the RV lifestyle.
Fiberglass trailers are often criticized for their 'plastic' interior, faux wood, rat fur, etc.; that thread has made me appreciate how practical and 'bug proof' that decor really is. Thanks to the participants on all these great forums for sharing their knowledge. Finding good info on trailers or homes is a lot easier than it use to be.
Christian Dakoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Dakoona View Post
That is the whole point. Nobody on a fiberglass trailer forum will ever read about a trailer being eaten alive by beetles unless it is 'pasted' there. I am sure glad somebody 'pasted' the story and pictures of aluminum clad trailers going through a hail storm in Colorado. My trailer search list got a lot shorter.
Hey Christian, welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you will hang around some even though the population here includes a certain percentage of certifiable knuckleheads such as myself!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
rates

I wonder what the insurance rates are on those aluminum trailers?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
....certifiable knuckleheads such as myself!
I too am a self described Canucknucklehead.

We need to form a club.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #27

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hope my question on page 1 asking what kind of a trailer the OP had that got infested wasn't taken as critical. It wasn't meant that way.

As for FR there, I've seen new people call us FBRV and thought FR was another form of that...there's no way I'd have guessed what it really meant. FibeRglass...you know!

I found the article very interesting and Paul and I just talked about our hopes the wood we used to redo Peanut isn't infested! We had wood beetles once in a little building Paul put up with lumber that had been stored on the farm...and once we noticed sawdust and little holes coming up out of a cabin floor--almost like someone had take a drlll to it...

Posts like these make us realize how much we care about our trailer! Make me even more eager to get out and camp in it as soon and as much as possible while it's still in good shape. You never know! Enjoy the good times!

BEST
Kai
Old 11-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #28

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Rat fur

glued on the walls should solve the problem ?

Infested!
Well, I have owned my trailer for a month now. Today I went to put something into it and found a large pill of dust on the floor next to the garage entry door. I thought it was just some more manufacturing dust coming from cracks.

To my surprise, I look up the wall and found groups of small holes going up the wall. Upon further investigation, I looked at the dust on the ground and found what appeared to be small beetles in the dust. WTF!

So I did a quick search and it appears the wood frame is infested with Postpowder Beetles. OR LYCTID beetles. They can lay dormant and the adult beetles will bore out of the wood to mate.

What do I do? Is this covered by warranty? This is nuts!!!
Attached Thumbnails

I have been in contact with FR today via email and phone. Just initial claims and will see what the will do.

The issue is the beetle was already in the wood prior to construction. The beetles in egg and larvae stage can take months / years to make themselves known. When conditions are right they will mature into the beetle you see and exit the wood via holes the dug. I.e my walls. From there they will look to reproduce. The female will then find more wood in my trailer and lay eggs.

This could be a potentially huge issue. Due to I don’t know how wide spread the infestation of the wood is. There could be hundreds of beetles in the walls reproducing, or hundred lying dormant.

As far a treatment. The walls need to be opened and damaged wood replaced. The wood directly need to be treated. Not just spray chemicals on the wall or let off a fogger in the trailer to fix the issue. It is a lot more complicated then that.

The trailer is brand new and I just made my first payment on it. The trailer rolled off the production line per VIN and FR in August of this year. So in 2 months my trailer did not just get infested with a beetle that takes month to years to mature and pop out.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens to the trailer. I will keep everyone informed

I certainly think that a buyback is in order.

So spoke with a rep with FR warranties.

He wants me to drive it back to the dealer I purchased the trailer from. No one else.

From there the dealer is going to remove and replace all the paneling in the rear garage. Also the dealer will inspect for further damage and go from there.

Hmmmm.

Won’t let me take it to a FR dealer down the street from me. He stated he would not do a buy back of the trailer. He stated he is doing what he feels is the right thing and attempting to make the fix.

So now some time next week, I have to drive several hundred miles round trip to drop off the trailer at my dealer and let them have the trailer for god knows how long.

This is going to be an interesting thread as I update the process.

I will say I do trust the dealer I bought the trailer from. Small dealer and I feel they are trust worthy.
Short of replacing the trailer you'll never get rid of the beetles since they could lie dormant for years. FR should replace it if they know what is good for them. We have a Coachmen motor home that is subsidiary of FR. If they won't replace the trailer then contact Good Sam's Action Line. They can get involved and help people all the time with all kinds of situations. Don't just stop with one person go to the top manager. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and the squeakier you are the better you'll come out. Put it out on Facebook on what is happening. If you have the problem then others will also but may not know it. I know for sure now I won't buy another FR RV for a long time.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #29

Name: name goes here
Trailer: Travco
Texas
Quote:
Rat fur
Ok, I'll bite...
Considering that this is a 5er toy hauler that's being discussed. What fiberglass toyhauler should he have bought?
The closest thing that I can come up with would be a Newmar Canyon Star 3921 class A toyhauler. What else is there?
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #30

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
What else is there?

Good question. Haul the toys in a Sprinter, Ford, or Dodge tall van, which I have done. Then take your pick of most fg trailers. Sprinter will tow 5,000 plus 3,500 inside. I have hauled two atvs in a mid wheelbase Sprinter. Today's ATVs are bigger, get the long wheelbase for two. Load the ATVs with ramps, of course. Sprinters have D rings for securing cargo. Oh, with flow through ventilation, fumes not a problem. Can also curtain or get the partition.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote