Headed to visit Parkliner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flharleycop View Post
Here are my impressions of Casita and Scamp from my visit. ........
Great summary. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #22

Keith, thanks for taking the time to write all this up and share here. Only thing I don't like about Casita is the bathtubbed in wood floor. Water goes to the floor and stays there. Some, undetected behind the rat fur moving down along the interior wall. You can, if interested, search spongy floor to read more about floor rot on a one of the casita forums. A while back, last I read, they also had no R rated insulation I don't know if that's important to you or not. Cheers.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #23

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah I have a called over cut on the outside of my fridge...I notice it but its not horrible. Mine being #003 without a wiring harness its neatly laid out and well secured from what I can see. Perhaps if they start bolting the axles on will clear up the rub issue. I really love the design would be a shame if they went out of business. They should be paying attention to what we talk about here to improve and keep growing. I hope they last they make a great trailer...just need to make a few improvements.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #24

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Parkliner

I was at Parkliner last week. Cameron was very accommodating and showed me whatever a wanted to see. The crew had went home for the day so no work was being done I checked and they are bolting the axle and have moved the batteries to the tongue. He seemed to think those problems were behind them.
I was impressed by the product. Everything seemed to be quality made. I wasn't impressed with their shop. Spraying fiberglass in the same room with the other workers will not impress OSHA either . He said they were moving part of the operation into another part of the building so maybe that will improve.

I admire anyone who can produce a product like this from the ground up and I plan to buy one of these campers in the near future.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #25

Deryk,
Can you share what you mean by "cut on the outside of my fridge"
Are you talking about what Frank mentioned, The Shell opening cutouts are crossed in the corners instead of a Radial Cut? If so, does anyone think this could stress crack over the years from flex? Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Just as a side note, the cross cuts on the corners of cutouts is a pretty common find on most of the popular brand fiberglass trailers that I have looked at. Including my Scamp. They are pretty small though and you dont see them or know about them until you remove the trim from around the cut out. Have not seen any filled in with gelcoat as was mentioned though on the other brands - all easily covered with trim instead. Have a 21 year old trailer that has a few and no stress cracks have resulted from them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #27

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ken mine was over cut a bit for the cutout where the exterior fridge controls are...I doubt it will be an issue and if it ever was I could fix it myself but the spot would probably get a sticker or something to cover it....I have alot of fibreglass experience... no gel coating experience. Im just a crazy Virgo who notices that stuff lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
When I was growing I remember hearing my dad saying,
"The sign of a good carpenter is his ability to cover up his mistakes."

I think I got my dry sense of humor from my dad, so I'm near sure
this was one of his jokes. He's gone now, but memories are still with me.

Pride in workmanship isn't as great as it was before we were all born.
When I do wood work, I make those kinds of cuts with a skil saw and
then I stop short of the corner mark and finish the cut with a hand saw.
Nice clean, sharp finish. So many just don't take the time to do perfect.
Zip, zip........it's done. Cover with caulk. I think I took after my grand-dad
from helping him build cabinets and re-roof houses. If I didn't do it right
(his way) he wouldn't let me help.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #29

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Ken mine was over cut a bit for the cutout where the exterior fridge controls are...I doubt it will be an issue and if it ever was I could fix it myself but the spot would probably get a sticker or something to cover it....I have alot of fibreglass experience... no gel coating experience. Im just a crazy Virgo who notices that stuff lol.
I can understand that. As far as signs, that would make me a Cancer.

But my personality trait is pretty much melancholy on the perfectionist side.

Growing up it seemed like a curse. But mellowed with age. Just shake your
head, go on. And fix it yourself if you have to.

And being a Viet Nam Vet medicated for your protection doesn't hurt.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
......The Shell opening cutouts are crossed in the corners instead of a Radial Cut? If so, does anyone think this could stress crack over the years from flex? Thanks.
Actually the better way to do it is to drill holes in the corners as opposed to having a sharp corner or over cut corner. The sharp corner is a point of stress concentration and is more likely to start a crack.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #31

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Greetings all, having fun re-reading this thread.

Keith, thanks for the nice write-ups on your visits!

An FYI on R values...And any DIY peeps out there... : )
Ken noted his concern/questioning there not being R value/rating mentioned at some point, and my wife and i had similar concerns/questions on the subject when planning our van conversion. I know what i'm sharing is not what one sees in a typical rig, though our Parkliner does have one layer of reflectix behind the marine carpet/headliner material so i share this info....

An as an aside, when my wife and i were designing our van-conversion we considered data from various insulation products and decided to go with a home brew sandwich of reflectix, standard shipping bubble wrap, and mylar foil. Our walls are soft-to-the-touch, and behind our marine grade headliner (a similar product the PL uses and also what i see in other FG trailers) is a ~1-1/4" thick sandwich of non-r-value products. From what Cari & i recall we did this: Headliner>Reflectix>3/4" bubble wrap>Mylar foil>1/4" bubble wrap>Van wall (3m 77 spray adhesive between all materials). It would be difficult for one to arrive at an "R-Value" for this, though i can assure you from experience** the van is well insulated from the outside hot/cold/noise without the use of traditional 2" to 3" R-rated glass-batting behind a hard wall. We are nearing the close of our 3rd year of camping in the van (an average of 70 nights per year) and there is no sign of wear on the headliner walls, nor any _sagging_ of product. The idea of the 1/4" bubble foil on van wall was to allow for any moisture to weep down wall to an area with an absorbent material which is still factory-clean with no sign of moisture coming into contact with it.

...a silly aside on "experience**" ; i recall one particular morning i opened the van door to snow on the camp floor and van roof. We had no idea it had snowed (it was June up near Sisters Oregon)...yet the measured interior of the van was mid 50's and we had been toasty warm in our regular summer weight bedding...
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #32

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Actually the better way to do it is to drill holes in the corners as opposed to having a sharp corner or over cut corner. The sharp corner is a point of stress concentration and is more likely to start a crack.
Exactly right!!!, that's how I made any of my cuts on our Uhaul mods.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #33

NE Oklahoma
How to determine R factors

How to determine R factors.......

Topic: How to Determine R-Factors
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #34

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Lil Snoozy

Okay my final visit, I have been to Casita, Scamp, Parkliner and today I was near and drove by Lil Snoozy so I figured I would stop. Lil Snoozy was not on my list as a potential camping trailer because of its look and I was looking for the side dinette.
Lil Snoozy, the factory is right of I26 near Colombia SC. The plant is not as big as Casita or Scamp and about twice the size of PL. It has a separate mold facility and it is clean and modern. They had two finished model units to look at and play with in their lobby. I spoke with the owner and he spent about an hour or more with me going over the camper and the build process. The unit was different than what I was looking for and not the shape I had seen myself liking. If any of you are still in the market for a trailer and are reading because your looking, I would give the Lil Snoozy and close look. They are a bit different and only use electric but the build is designed to hold and run a Honda 2000 on the tung of the camper. They have a nice bath and the dinette is a very comfortable leather or leather look couch with a removable table. You sit on it and look out the window or at a tv in the entertainment area. It has a full size queen bed that was very comfortable, AC included and a cool cassette flush toilet in the wet bath. Very large bay windows that slide and also can be raised out gull wing style to really open the place up. Needless to say I was very impressed and now I will spend some time reading about them on here as they were a hit. The whole trailer is fiberglass and no wood the structure trailer under is fully galvanized.

….
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #35

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
If you get a lot of responses, we might want to move this discussion off the ParkLiner threads and over to the Lil' Snoozy threads. But I do have a quick question about the gross vehicle weight and tongue weight of the Lil' Snoozy. They seem to hide that information pretty deep (unless they've updated their web site recently) - which makes me think it's toward the heavy side for small campers. Were you able to get that information from them?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #36

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
If you get a lot of responses, we might want to move this discussion off the ParkLiner threads and over to the Lil' Snoozy threads. But I do have a quick question about the gross vehicle weight and tongue weight of the Lil' Snoozy. They seem to hide that information pretty deep (unless they've updated their web site recently) - which makes me think it's toward the heavy side for small campers. Were you able to get that information from them?
I was told 1900 on base model and then the tongue was 200-250 depending on if you get the generator option. I was going to try to move it but don’t know how.
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Dale, they have starting bolting the axle to the frame. I keep pestering them about this stuff, and asked for pictures, which Cameron sent me. You're limited to a load range C Hi-Run trailer tire, size 205-75-14 the way they have it set up now. I was somewhat surprised it's not radial, but that's the deal. Apparently this tire rub issue was only for a certain period in production, but there's an old saying that goes "It's easy to lose your credibility, but hard to get it back." I think that's the situation ParkLiner finds itself in, but they keep selling trailers. We have yet to find anything else we like better in terms of layout. The one we visited a number of weeks ago sure was made well, and that one did not have tire rub issues.

Frank
If I were wanting to order a Parkliner, I would tell them that I only would order one if they gave it a 'lift'... attach the axle 3-4" lower, with spacers or something between axle and frame. This would permanently prevent any tire rub, plus make it better for rough trails.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #38

Name: Bill and Bronwyn
Trailer: awaiting new ParkLiner
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flharleycop View Post
I am going to be near the Parkliner factory in NC this Monday. I have visited Casita and Scamp so I figure I will check PL out too. I emailed them to see if it was okay but its a business so I figure as long as I am there during business hours someone will be there to talk to. I want to see the bed configuration and the camper itself prior to making my decision one which to purchase.
Wish me luck…
We are awaiting news regarding our order. Would you send some pics of the production site and we are wondering
what the number of ParkLiners they've produced is. Best of luck on your search!
Willyb40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #39

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I too would like to know how many trailers ParkLiner has produced. Seems like a lot of problems for somebody like me who has been watching a while. We were certainly impressed with the one we visited, but because of this thread, have some questions about the Lil Snoozy, like does it have hydraulic brakes? Looks like it does. If so, is it a 5 pin flat rv plug? Do they offer a flush toilet? I can't tell. Is there a 30 amp plug to hook into campground power, & where is it?

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #40

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Good questions to ask the manufacturer or factory...

Tags
parkliner