Headed to visit Parkliner - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #121

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Ken, there is no stock DC to AC inverter on our EggCamper. Ours was added aftermarket by the original owner. However, there is a stock AC to DC battery charger located under the false floor of the closet for charging the deep cycle battery(ies) when you're plugged into 110V shore power. But back to your question, we don't know because we haven't tested the system yet. As I mentioned, the original owner added the two additional deep cycle batteries in parallel along with the primary batter and the 1000W DC to AC inverter connected by dedicated boat grade 4 gauge tinned electrical leads (see attached photos) primarily to power a couple needed medical apparatuses through the night when boondocking. He pulled with a trailer-prepped Hyundai Santa Fe (4 cylinder!) which I believe he said had a 130 amp alternator. They used the EggCamper more like a travel trailer - drive a few hours, sightseeing, drive a few more hours, stop for the night, then on the road again the next day. He said the 2-4 hour stretches of driving through the day was enough for the Sante Fe's alternator to fully charge the batteries for the evening. Interestingly, they also used the DC to AC inverter to power a crockpot in the trailer while they were driving. His wife would put whatever she wanted to cook in the crockpot, set the crockpot down inside the sink, plug it into the inverter and turn it on just as they were hitting the road. Once they got going, the Sante Fe's alternator basically powered the inverter and crockpot. When they stopped, they'd have a hot meal ready to eat in the crockpot, and the bank of batteries would still be fully charged to take them through the night. Again, we haven't tested it out yet, but that's what they told us, and I have no reason to doubt them. Dale
WOW sounds like the guy was an electrical engineer, I am still getting the hang or red + black - .
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #122

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flharleycop View Post
Look at the Scamp 16 with the wood package, the bed is larger than the standard and bigger than the Casita. Its not a full queen like the LS, PL or Escape but its larger. When I visited Scamp the sales guy had me sit in one, it was nice and the bed was larger I just don’t know if you can find it in the pamphlet yet and the wood is a bit heavier and more costly.
I looked at the the wood package and the full size bed but as you mentioned about the cost increase and the weight increase. For the price and the weight I can get a Casita 17. Thank you so much for your suggestion. We're still looking.
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #123

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I like the Casita 17 but the wood interior of the Deluxe Scamp's is very attractive as well the Scamp is decidely lighter than a Casita 17. For some reason Casita's are particularly nose heavy.

Why Scamp hasn't migrated the wider bed to the standard Scamp is beyond me.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #124

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I like the Casita 17 ... For some reason Casita's are particularly nose heavy.
Only the 17' is unusually nose heavy; other Casitas have more typical weight distribution. The 17' has the proportions of a 16' with the extra foot added all ahead of the axle, leaving the axle much further behind the middle than usual. This axle-rearward placement puts more of the trailer weight on the tongue.

Parkliner proportions are more like those typical of North American travel trailers than the Casita 17'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #125

Florida
Brian,

I agree that the Casita 17 has it's axle too far rearward though we would own one if my wife's logic hadn't prevailed. Though it was in great condition and a really good deal, we would have had to buy a larger tow vehicle.

It seems to me that Casitas are generally heavy, at least compared to Scamps, and even the Casita 13s, at least in the Trailer Weights table, have high tongue weights. (I do realize that some of this is owner loading.)

As to Subaru and W/D, I recently 'heard' from an Escape owner that Escape installed a W/D hitch on his Subaru Forester.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #126

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I heard the 2014 casitas have the ac that sounds like a rocket, also.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #127

Texas
I just checked the Casital Spirit 17' and it has a dry weight of 2480 hitch weight of 385. The Scamp 16' Deluxe (wood) has a dry weight of 2200-2600 and a hitch weight of 165 to 255. They weigh about the same but the Casita is 17' but the hitch weight is about 175 lbs more give to take a few. Then there's the price difference. If I'm not mistaken the Scamp is more expensive. I can't find my the price list. I also like the idea of having the AC in the Trailer and not on the roof. I'm confused!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #128

Florida
Mark, I believe the Casita 17's AC s roof mounted.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #129

Texas
Yes Honda the AC is mounted on the roof. I was noticing it is mounted behind the axel of the trailer. Can you imagine the hitch weight of you ordered it without the AC! I'm more inclined to buy the Scamp 16' for now. We're going to the "Rally In The Valley" next month so we'll take another look. I really appreciate all the information everyone has posted. I've seen your amazing upgrades and repairs Honda. I know someone who has an 1985 13' Casita that's really rundown and selling for a low price. I know that everyone on the forum is very helpful but I don't know if I have the skills.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #130

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL Chiffons View Post
...Also considered A-framed folding by A-liner. It's our opinion that a fg rv will suit our needs fine. Just didn't think deciding on which fg rv to purchase would be such a challenge...
Greetings you two, no matter what you pick...best wishes!

My wife and i are EX A-Liner owners [Link to image]. I would not recommend the folding design unless you spring for the electric assist roof lift...raising that roof up/down gets OLD by the end of the first season!

Fiberglass is a sweet way to go!!

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #131

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
A 17ft. Escape is a possible option for a small dinette at one end and a dinette that can be made into a double bed at the other end. Customizing (as long as it doesn't affect structure) is very much an option, so even though the specs show a smaller sized bed, you can work with Reace (the owner) to create a trailer more to your liking. The quality of Escape trailers is superb and the service is incredible! We have owned 4 Escapes as well as many other molded fiberglass and stick-built trailers.
LindaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #132

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Hey Betty Lou and Bev, have you two narrowed down your choices any, yet? Keith, have you talked yourself into a Lil' Snoozy yet or still looking around? Inquiring minds want to know. Spring rallies will be here before you know it! Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #133

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Hey Betty Lou and Bev, have you two narrowed down your choices any, yet? Keith, have you talked yourself into a Lil' Snoozy yet or still looking around? Inquiring minds want to know. Spring rallies will be here before you know it! Dale
I am waiting to see if I get a contract (work) , if I do I will put off my purchase as my time will be reduced for a bit. If i don’t get it, I have pretty much decided on the Snoozy.
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #134

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Once we sell my GMC Canyon (my "new" '01 F-150 is in the shop getting headers put on this week), we will be visiting ParkLiner in NC to take a look, and if we like what we see, make a deposit and order the one we want.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner