Headed to visit Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Headed to visit Parkliner

I am going to be near the Parkliner factory in NC this Monday. I have visited Casita and Scamp so I figure I will check PL out too. I emailed them to see if it was okay but its a business so I figure as long as I am there during business hours someone will be there to talk to. I want to see the bed configuration and the camper itself prior to making my decision one which to purchase.
Wish me luck…
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Let us know what you think and your comparison between the 3 companies.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flharleycop View Post
I am going to be near the Parkliner factory in NC this Monday. I have visited Casita and Scamp so I figure I will check PL out too. I emailed them to see if it was okay but its a business so I figure as long as I am there during business hours someone will be there to talk to. I want to see the bed configuration and the camper itself prior to making my decision one which to purchase.
Wish me luck…
You should make it an extended road trip and check out Escape also.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
There's also Lil Snoozy in South Carolina.
Good luck and give us some pics also if possible.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
You should make it an extended road trip and check out Escape also.

or call Escape and ask for a referral to someone near you to see their trailer unlike one of the other manufactures you mentioned they actually do keep track of who they sold their trailers to
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Only problem there is Escapes are made in western Canada. That's a long, long ways away.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well as said you can ask them to set you up with someone close to *you* so you can see the trailer. They do del'v - if you go to their website you will see they have trucks heading all over North America loaded with trailers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #8

New York
Free shipping? I have a hard enough time coming up with bucks for a new egg, but I'm sure it's only me that is so limited. I sure can't afford shipping across the continent on top of the price of a trailer, and wouldn't. It has to be a manufacturer that is within a day's drive, two at most. ParkLiner is a day's drive, but I think visiting is the only way I'm gonna know if it's for me. Gail and I looked at a ParkLiner a few weeks ago, and was impressed with the layout and general quality of construction. They say they've solved the tire run problem, but I need a closer look to see what I think. May run down there in mid to late October and see.

Keep us posted Keith. We're interested as well. Thanks!

Frank
Old 08-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #9

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Keith - When you visit ParkLiner, please emphasize to them that the people posting to these threads are NOT their enemies. We're trying to help them solve a problem that, in the eyes of most buyers/users, is not "petty". Retirees on fixed incomes can't afford costly repair jobs after every road trip. Do a little tinkering to make a camper feel like home? Sure. That's part of the fun of ownership. Sophisticated fiberglass body reconstruction - again and again? Not so much fun. Like you, other prospective buyers are big fans of the cabin design and are waiting in the wings hoping that ParkLiner gets this fixed. Not just temporarily band aid'ed - FIXED.

Looking forward to hearing your comparisons of ParkLiner, Scamp and Casita....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
All I can say is I was that close to getting a Parkliner before I got the Snoozy.
After reading all this and seeing the responses, it makes me glad and relieved
I skipped over the Parkliner. I do know it's a good brand and a good lay out,
but as an old fat disabled guy I would be more than put out with it all.

I hope they find their solution and have great success.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #11

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I really like my ParkLiner, glad Im not in the tire rub problem or I would have driven down there and got some results in person... There customer service is in need of work, but they do make a very fine trailer.

Ask about the tire rub and the battery venting issue as well.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flharleycop View Post
Wish me luck…
So Keith, we are all waiting with baited breath for your report! Please let us know how you made out. Thanks!

Frank
Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Well? Our collective breath is getting more baited by the hour! What did you find out at ParkLiner? What is your comparative assessment of the three little campers and their makers? In the words of an old TV ad, "Inquiring minds want to know...."
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #14

Florida
Okay, I just got back from my visit to PL, I arrived at the factory about 1130 am and I was greeted by one of the employees. I told him that I was interested in the PL and if we could see them. He was a very nice gentleman and he went over the spec sheet and price list with us. We then went into the back of the building which at one time was some type of mill or factory. The PL bay is about 50x150 approximately, the rear portion is where they do their molds and fiberglass. Then there is room for about four to six trailers under construction. They had four in phases of completion with one that was about 2/3s done. There were about five employees in the bay. The unit closest to completion was fully accessorized with all options and have a target completion date of Aug 31… I don’t see that happening but close. I looked at the tolerance with the wheel well and tire and they are close ( too close for comfort) I really like their layout and I think they have a solid product. I do think that they are at a fork in the road, they are either going to get their production moving forward by hiring more employees and establishing a production plan with quality control at each step or unfortunately they will not survive. Being from a boating environment they build much like the marine industry, they are using some high dollar parts and in some areas is maybe overkill. I don’t like the combining of grey and black water in one take, this will produce a dirty pipe and storage issues. I have some concerns about the quality control and finish issues, keep in mind that no unit there was complete but some of the cuts and carpet trims were off. They may fix it at a final stage but I don’t think so. All in all I would love to see them do well, it is a solid trailer, but at this point I cannot justify myself placing faith that they can get on track with production and improve some of the quality control at this point.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #15

Colorado
Thanks Keith. Could you tell if PL had started bolting the axle to the frame rather than welding? Had they begun re-locating batteries to the trailer tongue? Their future truly is in their own hands. I wish them the best.

Do you plan to post similar observations and impressions from your visits to the other manufacturers' you mentioned visiting? I'm looking forward to those, as well.

Thanks again for sharing....
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 AM   #16

New York
Dale, they have starting bolting the axle to the frame. I keep pestering them about this stuff, and asked for pictures, which Cameron sent me. You're limited to a load range C Hi-Run trailer tire, size 205-75-14 the way they have it set up now. I was somewhat surprised it's not radial, but that's the deal. Apparently this tire rub issue was only for a certain period in production, but there's an old saying that goes "It's easy to lose your credibility, but hard to get it back." I think that's the situation ParkLiner finds itself in, but they keep selling trailers. We have yet to find anything else we like better in terms of layout. The one we visited a number of weeks ago sure was made well, and that one did not have tire rub issues.

Frank
Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
thanks for your unbiased opinion, how about scamp and casita? how do the 3 compare?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Thanks Keith. Could you tell if PL had started bolting the axle to the frame rather than welding? Had they begun re-locating batteries to the trailer tongue? Their future truly is in their own hands. I wish them the best.

Do you plan to post similar observations and impressions from your visits to the other manufacturers' you mentioned visiting? I'm looking forward to those, as well.

Thanks again for sharing....
The frame I saw was not bolted it was welded but I could not see them on the actual trailers in production.

I will post on Casita and Scamp visit and tomorrow I am going to see LilSnoozy I drive right by it going home so if they are open, why not check them out too.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Dale, they have starting bolting the axle to the frame. I keep pestering them about this stuff, and asked for pictures, which Cameron sent me. You're limited to a load range C Hi-Run trailer tire, size 205-75-14 the way they have it set up now. I was somewhat surprised it's not radial, but that's the deal. Apparently this tire rub issue was only for a certain period in production, but there's an old saying that goes "It's easy to lose your credibility, but hard to get it back." I think that's the situation ParkLiner finds itself in, but they keep selling trailers. We have yet to find anything else we like better in terms of layout. The one we visited a number of weeks ago sure was made well, and that one did not have tire rub issues.

Frank
Frank, unfortunately I agree with you. I say unfortunately because I think PL has the best layout and I really like the channel roof design and no ac on the roof. I really hope they get it together. If you are buying one I would look real close at it prior to delivery for quality control issues. Check the wiring for neatness and bundling and look at all cuts into the fiberglass were vents and such are. I saw some cuts that crossed in the corners which should never happen with a template cut. Now the glass guy may go back in and cover it with gel coat at a final stage but when I asked they said caulk...
Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #20

Florida
Here are my impressions of Casita and Scamp from my visit.
Casita, Rice Texas- The plant is large and just off the highway, the parking lot was full with employee vehicles so It seems there are a number of them. They have a separate area for mold and glass and then a production building. I was say there were at least 8 in production on my visit. The staff was very friendly and went over the unit with me outlining their product. They highlight that the floor is part of the glass mold over the Scamp and other products. I was able to go into a 16 spirit which was the model I liked. They sales guy showed me the roof and its stand up issue. He was very open about it and appeared to like the 17 overall. They seem to push the 17 over the 16 and I felt I was being directed. I will say that my wife agreed with them, so it was probably more of saving me from myself. Casita has visible quality and the employees I spoke with had been there a long time. i think they also drank the grape juice and loved what they build.

Scamp- Backus Mn.
The plant is on a two lane road in a rural area, when I arrived it was a Saturday so they were only operating a finish crew of two employees. The sales building is a old out building with two offices and a reception area. We waited until the sails guys got in as we arrived early. The plant is large and very clean, the sales guy took me into the plant for a tour. Scamp also has a separate mold and fiberglass area which I did not see. Inside the production area they had about 15-20 units in varied stages, the place is clean and I liked what I saw. The 16 unit which I was interested in, is designed well and again you could see a company that has it down to a science. I wish they still put the AC in a cabinet and off the roof but they haven’t done that in a while. As far as what I have read here about the sales and internet issues with Scamp. The sales guys are older gentlemen who are very knowledgeable and friendly, I felt welcome and not pushed. I would say that in the production area they have updated tools and processes in place. I think that they feel they are selling what they can and have a wait list the way it is. So why get more customers and place their delivery dates out 6 months and just upset people for no reason. They seem to be happy with their market share and profits at this point. Again they could go big but why?

My overall is Casita seems to be the overall winner in my uneducated consumer impression, but due to the floor-plan of the Scamp 16 deluxe you can get a bigger bed and screen door on without going to the Casita 17 so I am confused between the two.

Tags
parkliner