Heading south; suggestions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Heading south; suggestions?

I am planning to head south with my 13' Trillium next week. I will be driving from New Brunswick to Fort Myers, FL by way of Scranton, PA, with a visit with friends in Roswell, GA. I have been driving to/from Florida twice a year but this is my first trip there with my egg. (I did take a long trip this summer to Georgian Bay.) I may have to divert to San Antonio, TX but, if the need arises, I may park the egg enroute to save gas.
I have always made these trips south as direct as possible without stopping to enjoy the sights. This time, with egg in tow, my only caveat will be getting far enough on the first day so as to avoid frost the first night (probably the Hartford area).
If there are any gatherings planned for my planned route, or slightly off route, in the near future, I'd love to know. Also, if there are any 'must see's" along the way I would enjoy hearing your suggestions. I will be traveling alone and won't have to negotiate with anyone for any stops or diversions.
Thanks,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Florida is full of beautiful parks. If you travel through the Florida "Panhandle" I can highly recommend St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. It's quite a way off the beaten path of Interstate 10, but you camp within sound of the beach and it's absolutely beautiful: St. Joseph Peninsula State Park - a set on Flickr
Big Lagoon is another nice one and isn't too far from interstate 10: Big Lagoon State Park - a set on Flickr
We've also camped at Falling Waters, Florida Caverns, Three Rivers, and Blackwater River State Parks as well as Krul Lake Recreation Area and found them all very nice but I don't have pictures of them.
I've also heard nice things about Topsail Hill and St. George Island state parks. The only one that didn't impress us much was Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park. You can look up the state parks at this site:
Welcome to Florida State Parks
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I just added some photos from a trip to PA & WV in the Photography thread. It may be too late for good color but both state campgrounds have sites still open.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #4

Thanks Ray and Jon. Much appreciated.
Barrie
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We just got home last week from a two month trip to Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, spending a few weeks in North Carolina on the way home. We followed the leaves down the map...

Though you've perhaps driven it before, as you're fairly close, we drove the Kancamagus scenic highway through the White Mountain National Forest, and were so glad that we did. It was a beautiful ride. We also enjoyed lunch in Gorham, NH, a small, historic town.

We followed the small roads down through Vermont, along the edge of the Green Mountain Forest. I think the highway number was 7. Also quite beautiful, with many small and lovely historic towns along the route.

South of Scranton, if you're at all a history buff, you may enjoy a day or two in Gettysburg, PA. The cyclorama, totally restored, in the new visitors' center is outstanding, as is the museum and the self-drive audio tour of the battlefield. (CD's are available for purchase in the visitors' center bookstore.)

Leaving Gettysburg, stay on the small roads (15 south, then on to other small roads thru Harper's Ferry) and enjoy the beautiful ride, and avoid the DC traffic (unless you want to visit Washington DC). We joined the interstate near Winchester, I think.

The Skyline Drive through the Shenendoah National Forest is beautiful. We didn't go that way this year, as we visited friends in Virginia on the way home, but we thoroughly enjoyed it a few years ago. I don't know which of the campgrounds are open this late, but the website will tell you. The Skyline Resort at the north end has a wonderful restaurant, with local and organic ingredients and an imaginative chef, not far from a couple of the campgrounds.

The Blue Ridge Parkway affords some incredible views, but the best ones, in my opinion, are on the south end, from Linville, NC to the restaurant at Mt. Pisgah. Unfortunately, in late season, Mt. Pisgah's hotel and restaurant may not be open. There, incredible layered mountain views open up as you eat breakfast, viewing through floor to ceiling glass. (Go for breakfast or early lunch. Later in the day, the light is not as good for the views.) The visitors' center near Asheville, fairly new, built in an interesting, eco-friendly design, is worth a visit, if not for the architecture, for the movie on the history of the Blue Ridge that runs every half hour or so and is beautifully done. The craft museum just north of there is interesting, as well. A few days' stay in Asheville is always fun. It's a vibrant, fun, artsy city. There's always live music (especially bluegrass and mountain music) somewhere, and about ten local breweries (many of which offer live music, too...).

Have a wonderful trip. We certainly enjoyed New Brunswick, with its varied scenery, the Bay of Fundy, amazing tides, and warm and welcoming people.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
If you do visit Gettysburg, you might enjoy dinner at the 1776 Dobbin house in town. The tavern downstairs has a great menu, and the old spring that was used to cool supplies still runs in the corner. The French onion soup is wonderful, also the crab cake and their signature half-chicken dinner. We've enjoyed eating there several times. Good value in a tourist town, and very interesting history. The house was once part of the Underground Railroad. (Eat in the tavern downstairs, as the restaurant upstairs is not nearly as historic or cozy.)
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #7

Thanks Sherry!
I appreciate your information.
I discovered the White Mountains this summer and have made numerous trips there hiking the mountains. I have stayed in Gorham. I will check out the maps and adjust my route. These are the types of suggestions I've been looking for.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Barrie,

If you're not in a hurry, you can pick up US 13 south of Wilmington Delaware, than US 17 south of the bay/bridge/tunnel and take it into Florida. We drive it every year instead of 95. A lot more to see and much more relaxing. Charleston is really nice, but a lot of traffic in Myrtle Beach (even the by-pass). Enjoy.

Art

p.s. 17 was the main road before 95 was built. A lot of it has been widened to 2 lanes in the past several years so mostly good smooth roads.
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #9

Thanks Art!
Barrie
Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I don't have any suggestions Barrie. I would love to read what you end up doing. It sounds like part of the great trip that I've been dreaming about. Enjoy!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #11

Hi Roy,
I'll fill in the details when I get back. I took a trip this summer up your way. I picked up a relative in Toronto, visiting from Spain, and we camped in Perry Sound.
Barrie
Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspe View Post
Barrie,

If you're not in a hurry, you can pick up US 13 south of Wilmington Delaware, than US 17 south of the bay/bridge/tunnel and take it into Florida. We drive it every year instead of 95. A lot more to see and much more relaxing. Charleston is really nice, but a lot of traffic in Myrtle Beach (even the by-pass). Enjoy.

Art

p.s. 17 was the main road before 95 was built. A lot of it has been widened to 2 lanes in the past several years so mostly good smooth roads.
I have looked at your suggestion and I have never been through this area. How expensive is the bridge/tunnel? I would like to visit Virginia Beach at some point also. After my experience last November towing my motorcycle back from Florida I refuse to drive through New Jersey; tolls every few miles, expensive and ridiculous traffic delays. I don't mind driving a few extra miles to avoid NJ.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Barrie
The Eastern Shore is a great tow. Flat four lane Hwy, with 60 mph speed limit with only a few stop lights. Most places to visit are on the shore lines just a few miles off of the main highway. A $16 Toll to avoid Richmond, F-burg, D.C. and Balt. is not a bad deal.
With a single axel trailer the Bridge Tunnel toll is $16. Your propane tanks have to be mounted to your trailer and turned off for the tunnels. When you immediately exit the south end of the south tunnel there is a parking area on the island with resturant, gift shop, free fishing pier and you can get great views of ships entering and leaving port.
Once you reach land (Va. Beach)you can exit on Rt. 60 east and travel a couple miles and you will be at VA. First Landing State Park. You can camp just over the dunes from the bay/ocean. (Nice beach for walking.)($30 per nite) Next to the FLSP is Fort Story where the Cape Henry light houses are located. There are two light houses, the older one you can visit and go up into the light house. The first landing monuments are located near the light houses.
Fort Story is a Military base. Don't try to take your trailer there. You will need your drivers license and proof of ins, to enter.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Barrie
The Eastern Shore is a great tow. Flat four lane Hwy, with 60 mph speed limit with only a few stop lights. Most places to visit are on the shore lines just a few miles off of the main highway. A $16 Toll to avoid Richmond, F-burg, D.C. and Balt. is not a bad deal.
With a single axel trailer the Bridge Tunnel toll is $16. Your propane tanks have to be mounted to your trailer and turned off for the tunnels. When you immediately exit the south end of the south tunnel there is a parking area on the island with resturant, gift shop, free fishing pier and you can get great views of ships entering and leaving port.
Once you reach land (Va. Beach)you can exit on Rt. 60 east and travel a couple miles and you will be at VA. First Landing State Park. You can camp just over the dunes from the bay/ocean. (Nice beach for walking.)($30 per nite) Next to the FLSP is Fort Story where the Cape Henry light houses are located. There are two light houses, the older one you can visit and go up into the light house. The first landing monuments are located near the light houses.
Fort Story is a Military base. Don't try to take your trailer there. You will need your drivers license and proof of ins, to enter.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie,
Hmmm... My primary propane tank is not "mounted" to the trailer but is located inside a locked box on the front of the trailer which is fastened to the trailer. I was also planning to take a second tank located in my closet inside the trailer...( I know, not supposed to but it fits tight and doesn't move). How closely do they check?
Barrie
Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Barrie
Check out Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Homepage travel info on compressed gas. They ask when pay your toll if your tanks are turnred off. The other non-toll tunnels in the area have a pull off prior to the tunnel. They also ask the same question. When I winter camp in the mountains I usually carry a couple of propane tanks in the back of my pick-up, I don,t think that would be allowed in the tunnels.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Barrie
Check out Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Homepage travel info on compressed gas. They ask when pay your toll if your tanks are turnred off. The other non-toll tunnels in the area have a pull off prior to the tunnel. They also ask the same question. When I winter camp in the mountains I usually carry a couple of propane tanks in the back of my pick-up, I don,t think that would be allowed in the tunnels.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie,
I checked the web site and it refers to 'non permanently installed' and properly secured. I think both of my tanks would meet their requirements, They also allow 2 maximum. I will certainly put this route on my to-do list for this trip or next spring.
Barrie
Old 10-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Barrie,

From the Scranton area, or just south of it, you can take 309 part of the way if you want to stay off the PA Turnpike. You will be going up and down mountains and some parts of the road are rough though.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Barrie. We make the trip from VT to the outerbanks in N.C. at least once a year. We started going through Pa. a few years back. I go from VT. through N.Y. via I87- thruway- I88. Just north of Pa. We pick up I81 and get on I476 (Pa tpk) via Rt115. I476 leads to I95. You'll think you are in Jersey but it doesn't last long. Instead of Rt13 I like to go to Delaware Rt1. It's $6 tolls but bypasses more traffic lights than you can count. This time of year there are no public camp grounds open until you get to Delaware. In Delaware Lums Pond, Killen Pond and Trap Pond state parks are still open and have nice facilities. Just south of Dover you will get on Rt 13. No where near as busy as in the northern part of the state. In Maryland you can bypass Salisbury but keep alert or your will end up on Rt50. Once you are into Va. its a very nice drive to the Bridge-Tunnel. Two must stops for us are Tammy and Johnny's restaurant in Melfa,Va. for some exceptionally good fried chicken and The Eastern Shore National Wildlife Refuge just before the Bridge-Tunnel. The Bridge-Tunnel is the fastest 20 miles you will ever travel. Have fun, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote