HEALTH - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #1

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
HEALTH

Does anyone here have to deal with blood clot issues. How do you deal with it and do you only travel a short distance to camp overnight or a few days. AND has anyone improved their health since starting to camp.
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 12 ft Chariot (Stealth Egg) and 1987 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Check your pm's in a minute
DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
By using camping as a way to enhance/enable healthy activity, yes, it is very possible to camp and improve health. Sometimes, just getting to better weather can really help (warmer, cooler, drier, or whatever).

Our favorite campground is Clear Creek RV in Golden, Colorado. On the creek of course. Also on the biking/hiking/walking path. City owned recreation center one block away and very cheap. Its located right downtown, so we walk or bicycle the entire time we are there. Our activity level skyrockets any time we go there.

You really don't have to go that far either. We just like the western USA.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We often travel with a couple where the husband has blood clot issues. When we are traveling with them we stop every 2 hours and get out of our vehicles and walk around for a few minutes
If he drives all day without stopping , his legs swell up .
We recently made a trip from Wisconsin to Jasper Alberta with them and we found that stopping every 2 hours helped us too.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #5

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Thank you all for answering my question. I asked it because I was watching one of those news shows one evening and the two detectives were investigating a murder out in one of our western states--so they had to travel 700 miles to talk to a man. Now I know people who live out there must be used to traveling long distances but I can't believe they would travel 700 miles in a day--and then return. Anyway, the younger detective ended up in the hospital, he almost died because of a blood clot. Now this was a man who looked to be in his 30's and was slim so it shocked me to find out that he had suffered this. So I started thinking about rv'ers who are on the road a lot and are older. Did they also have any problems with blood clots and wind up in the hospital. It kind of scared me. Thanks, Janis
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One of the benefits of having a smaller fuel tank, drinking plenty of water and a small bladder... is being "forced" to stop. Use that time to walk and stretch.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I can only speak from my experiences. We started camping for approximately 100 days at time each winter. This last winter I controlled by food intake and walked about 2 miles a day. My blood pressure went down, my weight went down and my glucose level went down. I feel better and have more energy than this time last year.
When truely camping stress levels go down. Staying in RV resorts might lower the stres levels but not as much and remote boondocking, if you get ride of the paranoia.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't think it matter one whit where you camp, it's what you do while you're camping. I bet there are plenty of boondockers that never get out of their chairs and away from a campfire just as there are RV park campers that walk, bike and play golf.

A couple of things to remember for good health. Calories in, calories out. And 10,000 steps a day are better than 1,000 minutes sitting in a chair... anywhere.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #9

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I wear mediumsupport kneehighs exclusively. My problem tends the other way-I have to take what some doctors consider an excessive amount of nonsteroidal anti inflammatories for chronic pain (but a little less than what I as a Hospice nurse used to give patients) If you look crosseyed at me I bleed. As 3 of our 4 rescue cats that travel with us still have claws, there are many accidental s nags. I kept standard teabags handy for many years to
poultice bleeds, and I supplement with Vitamin K.

Years ago, on our long distance trips with my father, he was religious about stopping every two hours. We threw a football around at each stop. If for some reason we couldn't get out at that 2 hr mark he had us do "calisthenics " with our feet. Point! Up! Point! Up! (Referring to our toes) and make is sing-loudly. Your diaphragm is an extremely large muscle and singing is a beneficial aerobic exercise.

My brother does need to take blood thinners and doesn't wear compression hose bit does stop and walk about on trips.

I have noticed that altho my chronic pain is still severe it IS better than it used to be since I started campi g again after getting my RV. So what some of the others have posted is probably correct, if you enjoy what you are doing and act sensibly, your quality of life and health improve!

As for driving distances- when I was 24 and 25 I used to ride the bus home from my job in DC, throw luggage and my baby daughter into my car, and hit the road to St Petersburg Fl driving straight through the night. So yeah, a road trip of that distance is feasible.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
DVT or deep vein thrombosis is common on long distance international air flights where one may sit for 12 hours. But as others have already pointed out, rving, camping and traveling to get there can be as active as you make it. I often drive 12-18 hours continuously, but stop every 3 hours for fuel, food, the dogs and myself, and I was born in the 1940's....