heat exchanger kit shower the Aussies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Saw this, just thought I would share what the Aussies are up too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOT-SHOWER-KIT-heat-ex...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Some time back, I was reading about systems like this on various 4x4 groups here in US/CA. Just drop the pickup hose in nearby creek, open the valves and hot water is on hand!

Remember that a shower enclosure is not needed if one is wearing a bathing suit!

There are also LP powered models and models where the heater portion is just placed in a campfire.

Keep in mind that some places consider outdoor showers to be gray water dumping, which it is.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
A Simple Solar Shower, Done on the Cheap, Few Parts to Break:

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements-Ga...d_bxgy_sg_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-SunShower-sh...ref=pd_sbs_sg_4

Just hang in the sun for a few hours and viola...hot water/shower/washing dishes/whatever.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Thanks for the comments,

I agree the solar shower is the way to go for small camps, however if you have 4 kids and a dog smelling of skunk it starts to make sense because of the quantity of warm water needed if camping a length of time, also it can be built fairly cheap...The thing I liked about it was that it is far more unlikely to scald you...I own a Zodi camp unit as well, it takes a little talent to set it up, if the batteries slow down in the pump or it gets unplugged using the 12v car adapter or if you run out of water at the source it boils water very fast with in the Zodi unit itself, it very quickly becomes pressurized with steam and spurts out scalding water on naked bodies.

The wife and I had to watch the unit for each other and cover each others concerns on this to safely use it directly. Factor in kids and I would go the hot water system just to be safe.

As we became more experienced with the Zodi we began using it to fill the solar bags and adjusted temp as needed, the solar bags used with the Zodi this way removed any possible way to be scalded.

This unit once installed goes with you every time, it can make large batches and does not eat propane, the Zodi used a small bottle (torch size) in the real world every 10 showers...I bought an extra small 10 lbs propane tank which was refillable to carry around just for the shower, then I bought the bottle clamp set up to mount the shower to the tank making it a lot more stable against tipping...after the extras I purchased to use the Zodi safely this unit does not look so bad for the price.

Happy Camping

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote