Heaters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Heaters

I don't have a furnace in the Scamp. Is there any kind of a propane heater that is safe to use all night? The guys had a Buddy Heater in the hunting shack and they said it's not safe to use it all night so they went with a wall vent unit, but I need something I can use in the Scamp both in the Spring and Fall. I feel like I really get cheated during the Spring and Fall and the Summers are so short.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'd consider putting in furnace something like Scamp puts in. It might be a bit expensive but it'll be there when you need it and safe. Since you're too far from Scamp I'd be tempted to call them for a quote.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

Minnesota
I just got off the phone with Scamp. Having a furnace installed in the Scamp would be about.... 385.00 heater, 2 hrs, labor and some finishing work would cost about 450.00 to 500.00. My Scamp is older, but it's a Deluxe and in excellent condition. It's put away now for the winter, but it's something I'm really thinking about doing come spring.

He said there is a city campground 9 miles from there. I could camp there overnight for free, be at the shop first thing in the morning and be on my way home within a few hours. Sounds really good to me, and worth 500.00 to have a little longer camping season. It's only about 150 miles from home.
God's Country, Minnesota
Old 11-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
You must tell me about this city campground. When I picked up my new Scamp in 2012 I stayed at a Private CG as I was told there was no place local. Then when I returned to the Factory this past summer for some warranty work we stayed at a Hardware Store parking lot and a church parking lot. Please let me know where the City CG is to which you are referring. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #5

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
You must tell me about this city campground. When I picked up my new Scamp in 2012 I stayed at a Private CG as I was told there was no place local. Then when I returned to the Factory this past summer for some warranty work we stayed at a Hardware Store parking lot and a church parking lot. Please let me know where the City CG is to which you are referring. Thank you!

I don't know anything about the campground other then what they just told me over the phone. I have not been there. He said it was 9 miles from Scamp, City Park and I can camp there overnight for free. I don't mind paying an overnight fee. It will be nice so I can get there early in the morning and get the job done.
God's Country, Minnesota
Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Oh ok. Well if you find out more about the Campground please post back if you can for future reference. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #7

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I would suggest looking into the "Olympian wave heater 3000" This is the direction I am deciding on. They are at a good price on Amazon.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #8

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
I recently installed a Broan model 174 in my Uhaul, wired it for 750w it will run on 6.1 amps. Cost around $85 from Home Depot with free shipping. Tested to 26 degrees with thermostat set in the mid range, was comfortable.
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver View Post
I recently installed a Broan model 174 in my Uhaul, wired it for 750w it will run on 6.1 amps. Cost around $85 from Home Depot with free shipping. Tested to 26 degrees with thermostat set in the mid range, was comfortable.
You don't state it but that would have to be at 120 Volt for that wattage and current. I believe the OP wanted to be off the grid, hence she asked about propane.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #10

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
Sorry, My Bad! Don't camp off grid myself, so wasn't thinking propane (only), just addressed the topic...Heaters
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #11

Minnesota
It's just me and the pooch so I have no clue how to start installing a heater. If I decide to do it, I will pay Scamp to install the heater and then I will feel safe using it.

Thank you Byron for suggesting I call Scamp.
God's Country, Minnesota
Old 11-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #12

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
I would suggest looking into the "Olympian wave heater 3000" This is the direction I am deciding on. They are at a good price on Amazon.
This is also what I am planing on for off the grid. I like it because it will not drain your battery.
Here's the link.
Camco 57331 Olympian Wave-3 3000 BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #13

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
If you are looking to put in a furnace take a look at this company. Panther RV products. Just bought one for my 17 foot casita, because it did not have one.
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
This one looks interesting
Alde - USA

Personally we do have the factory furnace but never use it, as it is so noisy... will have to take it apart and follow the thread posted on FGRV about this.
We do use a Coleman Catalyst "Sport Cat" as it runs for 16 hours on a single 1 pound disposable cylinder, but one does need to have a window cracked open as well as a roof vent cracked open per instructions. We find we mostly use it to warm the 13' Scamp prior to going to sleep, and just use the stove to make coffee in the morning (this really heats up the space fast and requires to open the roof vent wide as not to get overly hot inside). We have a double "mummy" style sleeping bag that keeps us toasty all night.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote