Heed the warning signs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Heed the warning signs

My wife & I went up to Cloudcroft, Tuesday. Got off late. Ended up setting up the Scamp in the dark. Planning on staying for several days.
Nice & cool. No moon, dark skies with all the Stars really shinning. No Rain.

Yesterday (Wednesday), early evening or late afternoon, we went for a walk. Only one campground open now. Silver. We walked from Silver to Saddle. But as we were getting close to Saddle, I started to have pain in my back. I've had this to happen before.

When we all hiked up from the tide pools out from Newport Beach, it happen to me than (why it took me so long to reach everyone else up at the top of the cliffs.

It happen to me when hiking up to Exit Glacier as well this summer in Alaska.

Normally, I just have to rest a little & then go again. Might have to that a few times to reach the end.

But resting this time didn't seem to help as much. It took mom & I long time to get back to the Scamp.

Really tired after we got back. Rested on the bed, read some. Napped some as well. After the nap, I was feeling better.

But my back has been more sore, & the feeling will start again if I am anywhere near active.

Kind of freaked my wife (me too) when trying to get by to the Scamp. None of the classic signs of a heart attack. But have heard not all of them give the classic signs.

Slept good last night. Woke with just a sore in my back.

I walked around Silver Campground. Didn't do too bad. Maybe just a touch of the feeling coming on as I got back to our campsite.

My wife had gone to get a new pay envelope, I filled it out to stay another night. But coming & going in & out the Scamp & into the back of the pickup, started me to feeling not as good.

We decided not to take any chances. I called Dr. Garcia's office, talked to his nurse, I believed. Told her what had happened. Asked her for an appointment & she gave me one. Next Tuesday at 10:45 am.

See what he thinks & what to do next.

My wife really helped get the Scamp ready & hooked up. But working together (not that she doesn't help each time), we got it ready to move out pretty fast. Got out just a little after 12 pm. Didn't put the pay envelope in at all. Ha!

We decided to have sandwiches for lunch & to stop at White Sands Nat'l Mon't to eat. And we did.

We drove into the Dunes area. Made sandwiches & ate in the Scamp (kind of hot today) and took a few pics.

Made it on back without a problem. Very hot. So we just parked the Ford & Scamp on street until it cools down some.

Didn't feel too good after bring the Trash & Recycle Cans from the side of house (to be able to park the Scamp)& taking a few things into the house.

Been taking it easy. Linda had to bring in the computer case & medicine bag & misc. keys & stuff bag.

Some of the problem, I believe, may be from my weak back. I called my chiropractor, but he is on vacation this week. Only got a recording. I'll try to get in to see him Monday. Maybe he can get the soreness out. I'm a little more ? shape right now.

I was using hiking poles on our walk from Silver to Saddle (not a long walk really) 1/2 mile at the most between them I guess. Maybe they didn't do anything for the back. Along with me lifting more stuff getting the Scamp ready to go & setting up and all. So Maybe the back is part of my trouble. But need to find out if the ole ticker is doing OK.

After Supper, we got the VW Baja Bug running & moved into the backyard. Gives more room to get the Scamp in & out of the ScampPort.

Got the Scamp back into it's place.

In moving things, I guess I used my back too much. So I'm back to resting. I'll wait 'til morning to get anything else out of the Ford & the trailer.

Woke up at 5:30 Friday morning with chest pain symptoms. Once I told my wife she gave me two aspirins and rushed me to the ER. I had tests, Friday but had to wait until Monday for the heart cath due to the weekend. The blockages couldn't be repaired with stents and will have a 4 or 5 bypass tomorrow, Wednesday.

Hoping for the best and won't be camping for a while.

Warning to you guy out there, Do not ignore chest pain signs even if you think it is indigestion. The pain doesn't have to be stabbing to be serious. I've had it many years and ignored it. Now I feel really stupid.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #2

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Good luck to you and your family. Thanks for the heads up!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #3

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
Glad it turned out okay.

Best wishes.....at least camping is still in your future!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Andrew wishing you all the best for the op tomorrow and a fast recovery!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Wow, hope you recuperate completely.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Keep us posted if you can, wishing you a fast recovery so you and the wife can get back out there camping soon. On a side note, I sure have enjoyed your photos, posts and paintings over the years here.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #7

Name: Jaydeen
Trailer: Burro 13'
California
Registry
Adrian,

I too have a similar story. My sister-in-law and her husband along with her 6 year old niece had been on a camping trip. On the way back my sister-in-law was not feeling so great. Kind of tired. They stopped for a some food. She said she was feeling better. When they got back home, she was busy putting things away from the trip and still not feeling too great. She had thrown up (sorry) and told her husband she again was feeling better. After a while their niece went looking for her . She found her in the office on the floor . She had the phone book out and open to Kaiser. She had died from a heart attack. She was 42.

Yes, heed the warning. You were luckier that my sister-in-law, I wish you a quick recovery and a healthy future.
Jaydeen A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #8

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Had a heart attack 10 years ago 99 % blockage.

One of the easiest tests a person can get is a stress test, it will say if you have a problem even before you know.

Your lucky that the heart was not damaged.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #9

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Good Luck. We went through this with my husband 10 years ago. But he went in for angiogram because of shortness of breath. Told me to pack an overnight bag and we were taking our youngest with us to the appointment. He knew it wasn't going to be good. To make a long story short. He lost his job on a Friday, had the procedure on Monday, open heart surgery on Tuesday. I had him home by Friday at noon. Must of needed the bed.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Kind of puts things in perspective. You known, about not sweating the small stuff and appreciating every day. Thanks for the reminder. A quick recovery, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Scary story but good advice Glad you got the diagnosis and can now have the op and get on with life. All the best.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #12

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Wow!!!!!

I will pray for a speedy recovery for you!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Best of luck to you, Adrian, for a full and speedy recovery
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wishing you the very best Adrian. We'll leave the light on for you until you feel up to chattin' with us. Hope it's real soon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Have a speedy recovery. You will probably feel better than you have felt in a long time once you recuperate. terry r.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #16

Name: Rod
Trailer: 1984 Dolphin
Wisconsin
That's some spooky stuff, take care and best of luck to you.
Ace57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Wish you a speedy recovery, Adrian. Bet you are looking forward to camping again, asap.

Sandy C.
To your Recovery
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #18

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Adrian,

Glad you made it as far as you did. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. All the best for a speedy recovery!

Dave & Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
An unexplained pain in the jaw may be a warning sign of heart problems too. Your dental providers know this all to well.

Or a pain to one arm, usually the left.

Wishing you a good recovery.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #20
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
An unexplained pain in the jaw may be a warning sign of heart problems too. Your dental providers know this all to well.

Or a pain to one arm, usually the left.

Wishing you a good recovery.
I've heard of the arm, never the jaw. Good information, thanks Doc. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote