Helio camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Mypod by littleguy
Missouri
Helio camper

Wondered if anybody had any information on these? Apparently made in Canada but are importing some units to dealer in the states.

Look pretty attractive at their sale price. Low weight. Fiberglass shell. But have resin covered wood floor and a “portable” ac unit...never heard of that!
Buffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There’s another recent thread by a person who just bought one. The “site search/ google” feature (bottom of search menu) should turn it up.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: Mypod by littleguy
Missouri
Thanks jon

I’ll google it to see. Also wondered what fiber people thought of the removable ac and wood floor
Buffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Many molded trailers have wood in the floor. It’s the least expensive way to add necessary structural strength. Some have no fiberglass in the floor, just the wood, some lay the wood on top of a molded fiberglass belly, and some fully encase the wood in fiberglass.

Each method has its pros and cons. Full encasement gives the best protection from leaks that come from above (the cause of most floor rot). But it can still happen as cracks, screws, and plumbing penetrations provide entry points. When it does, fully encased floors are more trouble to repair. Vintage Trilliums, Escapes, and newer Casitas have fully encased wood floors.

IMO the best fully encased floors include a “French drain” around the outer perimeter with weep holes. I believe Trillium and Escape include that feature, but I don’t think Casita does.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
the smaller teardrop model is a molded fiberglass shell.

The larger model is a composite panel construction, it is not a molded fiberglass trailer and it will be more prone to leaks that the little teardrop sized version as it has seams the full length of both sides of the trailer.

It is very obvious when you look at the photos that the two sizes they offer are not made with the same method.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:27 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
This thread has some discussion of the construction of the larger unit.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...2-91230-2.html
Old 02-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #7

Name: DYinVA
Trailer: Helio O2
Washington
that would be me, the guy in northern va that just bought a helio o2. let me know if you have any questions or need any kind of measurements. also, the dimensions on the helio page are off by a few inches and are not accurate at all.
novasquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was looking at the units on the website, and it looks like the A/C would be one of those portable units on wheels, like you can get at Wal-Mart. I have not read that much about the newer models, but the older models didn't get the best reviews. There are several reviews on them in RVs, check youtube. The advantage to not having a roof top one is that you can replace both these and the window a/c by just picking up another one in town - less expensive in a major way!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
There are several reviews on them in RVs, check youtube.

if you can post direct links to these reviews and youtube videos that would be helpful. i can't find anything older than 2019.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #10

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-88168.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-81491.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nit-68179.html

Since I don't know the particular manufacturer of the unit, it makes it more difficult to find specific reviews. This may be a newer unit that works better, and ambient temperature makes a HUGE difference, so what is working for someone in one area of the country might not work for someone else. Sitting in a small box with the sun bearing down on it and even the rooftop a/c does not do well.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Since I don't know the particular manufacturer of the unit, it makes it more difficult to find specific reviews.

i thought you meant reviews/videos of the Helio trailer, but i see now you meant portable ACs.

i bought a danby portable AC from amazon. it *should* fit based on the stated dimensions but i won't know for sure until it gets here. helio doesn't sell portable ACs as an option, so you have to buy your own.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9L5FSM
Old 02-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #12

Helio lists an AC Unit as an option on their website. It looks like it takes the single hole for exhausted heat output? I don't think they entered the US market until 2019, and I was unable to find when they were established although their FB page has a date in 2015.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #13

Washington
When I asked my dealer about the AC option, he told me I could pick up a portable one from Walmart for cheap. I assumed that meant Helio didn't offer it as an option. Fwiw, the awning option is $800 and a custom cover is over $550. So getting the AC from Helio wouldn't be cheap.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #14

Name: Grace
Trailer: Helio
Pennsylvania
We’re very pleased with our new 2019 Helio O2

My husband and I bought our first RV last October, a new 2019 Helio O2, and only managed to take 2 short trips before winter began, but we love it so far. We visited two PA State parks and stayed in full hook up sites. We chose the Helio after looking at a lot of other options (we attended our first Hershey RV Show). Helio does not sell an A/C unit, but placing one in ourselves will be very easy, come summer. The vented, floor level cabinet designated for the AC has an outlet built into it. There are some YouTube videos (search Helio) made by the dealer from which we purchased our, Beckley’s in PA, that will give you a better idea of the product than photos alone. Beckley’s, which also has a MD location, is only one of 2 Helio dealers in the US, I believe. I love the very minimal and clean design and the lack of a TV is perfect for us. The ceiling is high enough for my husband to stand up straight in the shower (he’s 5’10”) and it is light enough to tow with our Subaru Outback (we don’t currently own a truck). I’ll try to answer any of your questions.
Attached Thumbnails
80F4BD34-0A29-4CF0-BCE5-9F819FDA411F.jpg  
GraceInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
I just added a post to this thread- first time posting!
Old 02-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #16

Washington
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceInPA View Post
I just added a post to this thread- first time posting!
wow we're practically twins. i have a 2017 subaru outback and a 2019 helio o2, too.

i took ours out for the first time a couple weekends ago:
Attached Thumbnails
20200201_083057.jpg  
Old 02-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Ha, our “rigs” really are twins!! Is it also your first RV?
Old 02-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceInPA View Post
Ha, our “rigs” really are twins!! Is it also your first RV?
yup, our very first RV or travel trailer. i still sleep outdoors in my hammock outside, which is the white tarp in my photo. the RV is mostly for the wife and baby.

the tongue weight is light enough that i can lift it and move it around by hand. it does get a little tight in there when all 3 of us are in there, but we bought it primarily as a place to sleep/shower and we spend most of our time outside anyway, so it works out.

i'm totally impressed with the quality of the construction, but then again i really don't have anything to compare it to. i will mention that the water heater cover hinge broke, so i have a warranty replacement order coming into beckley's rv center. since it's coming from canada, it may take several weeks to get here.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
The floor is constructed of fully fiberglass wrapped wood. It is seamless.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Helio O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
yup, our very first RV or travel trailer. i still sleep outdoors in my hammock outside, which is the white tarp in my photo. the RV is mostly for the wife and baby.

the tongue weight is light enough that i can lift it and move it around by hand. it does get a little tight in there when all 3 of us are in there, but we bought it primarily as a place to sleep/shower and we spend most of our time outside anyway, so it works out.

i'm totally impressed with the quality of the construction, but then again i really don't have anything to compare it to. i will mention that the water heater cover hinge broke, so i have a warranty replacement order coming into beckley's rv center. since it's coming from canada, it may take several weeks to get here.
We are also very impressed with the quality of construction! We also love that the bed is very spacious and comfortable, so I bet your wife and baby are enjoying that too!