Hello - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: Looking
Ontario
Hello

Hello folks,My name is Gary from London,Ontario,Canada and I stumbled on your great website a while back and decided to sign up because you guessed it,we want a trailer BADD.Looking for something used that could sleep 4.Learning about the different kinds of Fiberglass Trailers slowly but,if anybody has any suggestions fire away.Took the dog for a walk yesterday somewhere new,and saw a bigfoot.Looked like the right size.The Geographic is very cool as far as styling.What is drawing me to the fibreglass is that they are lite.I don't want to struggle to pull anything.Any feedback,bring it on.I take constructive criticism very well.
Gary the kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Welcome!
So many great trailers so many choices!
Have fun in your search!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Welcome. What will you be towing it with and do you need/want a bathroom? When you talk about sleeping 4 I'm guessing you mean two adults and two kids? This thread is great for starting to narrow things down. I read it start to finish when I started looking.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ans-24745.html

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #4

Ontario
Thanks peeps.Yes to 2 Adults and 2 kids.The wife doesent car about a bathroom,since we would probably be hitting the provincial parks that have half decent washrooms.Would be pulling with a 03 Nissan Xterra.Rated for 5 thousand pounds but does not seem worthy of that.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 71 Boler
Welcome have fun and ejoy..
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Welcome Gary, and ditto on the Floorplans thread Bryan mentioned. One of the best opportunities is to visit one of the rallies and check out the different models firsthand.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome to the site Gary. Keep in mind while looking that it is pretty easy to import a trailer from the USA (I did it) and if its over 16 years old then it is even easier.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #8

Ontario
Why after 16 years?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Actually 16 years or older because you don't have to deal with the RIV process.
Registrar of Imported Vehicles
Be forewarned that the Air Conditioner tax is hefty too.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The RIV process isn't really all that scary - to me it was just a cash grab that made little sence. First there is the RIV fee that you pay at the Border which puts the trailer into the RIV program which requires you to take the trailer for the inspection and the fee that goes along with that. Once you have the trailer inspected and passed you can get it registered to you. They make you take a trailer that is younger than 16 years to inspection to make sure all your lights and markers are in the right spot and have the correct DOT lens but they don't care about any of that on a trailer that is older. If your like me you will find yourself asking yourself why not the older ones, are they not more likely not to meet todays saftey standard? :-)

Gary in case you are not aware of it, any trailer you purchase in the USA that was made in the USA can be brought into Canada duty free under the free trade agreement. Unlike a car you can clear a trailer at the border at anytime and there are no pre clearance papers that need to be filled out and sent to the border ahead of time, such as those needed for a car. Just show up with your trailer with a readable VIN, your purchase agreement and your cash to pay the taxes.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #11

Ontario
Thanks alot folks,good stuff you're teaching me.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary the kid View Post
Thanks alot folks,good stuff you're teaching me.
Tell me more.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #13

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Gary, the smallest trailers (13 footer, like my Scamp) usually have one bed for adults and bunks for kids. The bottom bunk could accommodate an adult, but the top bunk is limited to about 75 pounds (maybe different for other brands). Just something to keep in mind. You might be able to beef it up if you have older/heavier kids. My boy is just 6 months old, so we have a way to go before he's too big for the top bunk... a while before he's old enough to [I]use[I] the top bunk, even.

Good luck on your search! There are a lot of fiberglass campers north of the border. There aren't many on the East coast in the states.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote