Hello All - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2006, 11:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
New member here, but I've been lurking on this site for about a month.

I'm hoping to be an "egg" owner before the Spring.

I currently own a Coleman Taos popup camper, but I'm selling it and hoping to get into a Scamp, Casita or similar trailer. My wife won't camp in the popup because she wants to be in something that's a bit more private, safe from small animals and is better climate-controlled inside. A 13' Scamp or similar trailer is my best bet now because our tow vehicle is a 4-cylinder Honda Element with a 1,500 lb towing capacity.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello!
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Hello Buck...
Welcome to the forum and wishing you success finding the right TT. As you are probably aware, there are several here who tow with an Element. Advice and comments will be forthcoming.
Enjoy the process!

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:29 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Hellow back to you and welcome to a great site. I can not tell you how many time I would over-think a trailer (my 13ft Boler, the Lady-Bug) problem and the knowlagable people on this site would set me on the right road to getting it done right.
There is just an important thing to think about when towing with a small vehicle and I am sure you will find out from more knowlagable people then me if the subject comes up. It is not towing power as much as Stopping Power to consider is most important.
I was going to haul my 1300 lb with my Subaru Outback and the tow limit was 2000lb but unless I was going to put a whole tow pkg into it I was told it would not be safe.

Maybe you already know all this so I will not say more but Welcome to a great site.
Gerry the Canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Quote:
I'm hoping to be an "egg" owner before the Spring.

I currently own a Coleman Taos popup camper, but I'm selling it and hoping to get into a Scamp, Casita or similar trailer. A 13' Scamp or similar trailer is my best bet now because our tow vehicle is a 4-cylinder Honda Element with a 1,500 lb towing capacity.
Hi Buck!!

Same position here but we have a Saturn Vue - 1,500 lb towing capacity. Currently we have a 1978 VW Westfalia - only thing wrong is that we have NO heat and NO air conditioning unless we are in a camping spot. Right now we are tenting because we need a new alternator.

Hoping to convince hubby to get a small trailer - I figure another vacation like this past year camping will do it. That is the FIRST time he even voiced that maybe we should get a small trailer.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
Hi Buck. All the best to you in your search for the perfect lightweight trailer. Hubby and I have been studying RV's for about six months now. We have gone to RV shows, searched the internet for information, joined a few forums (like this one), and basically did our homework before deciding on the right camper for us.

I have to admit that I'm on the same page as your wife. I wanted an enclosed camper, off the ground with privacy. And with grandkids coming along on occasion, I just have to feel they are safe from any animals while sleeping.

This is a great group and you will enjoy reading and learning!

Patty
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Thanx to all for rolling out the welcome-wagon... or should I say "welcome trailer?"

I've already installed a pretty big transmission cooler on the Element and upgraded the brakes to heavy-duty ceramic pads instead of the standard asbestos type. So I'm good to go as far as stopping and pulling go.

The only thing left is to sell my Taos so I can get a nice little fiberglass TT at a decent price. I'm starting to look now because I figure anything I get is going to need a bit of work before springtime.

Sooooo... the search is ON!!!

Kurt (or Ann?) mentioned that there are some members here who tow their "eggs" with a Honda Element. I'd be interested in hearing some commentary on their experiences towing a Scamp or Casita type of TT.
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi Buck!

There have been a number of discussions regarding the Element as a tow vehicle, mostly falling on the "good" side. If you use the Search function on the toolbar at the top and search on "Element", you ought to be able to find them. They'll be good background reading for you.

One of the better discussions is here:

How suitable is an Element as a tow vehicle?

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Hi, Buck: I have a 2006 Element and am looking for my egg. Good to have you here. The smaller size of the Element keeps me humble and stops me from spending too much money on a trailer with too many bells and whistles. This is a great place to learn the ropes and the tuition is free!

Don
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 84 13 ft Sunline (stickbuilt)
Hi Buck,

We have a '06 element and just got our burro 2 months ago. We look forward to trying the setup in the spring. Good luck on the egg hunt
Kevin & Georgetta is offline   Reply With Quote