Help for 1st time Scamp user. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Help for 1st time Scamp user.

Hello everyone,

I have what I hope is an extremely simple question. I have a 1976 13' Scamp. When I lower the tongue (not sure if I'm using the right term), the portion with the jack on it.

When I took the jack off my ball and hitch for the first time everything seemed fine. I lowered the jack and everything worked correctly until I reached a point about 2/3 of the way down. The jack refused to lower anymore and in fact I could tell it apparently wasn't used below that point as the paint was scraped off to that point.

My main question is two-fold. First, is it supposed to go lower than that? If not, how do you get the supports under the back of the camper? The only way I can even fit them under the camper at that angle is to push against the wood which I'm assuming isn't good.

Any help you can give me is much appreciated. If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks!
markism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Mark, mine doesnt go all the way down either - 2/3 sounds about right maybe a little more.

When you say supports under the trailer are you talking about portable jacks/stablizers? or the ones that are the standard Scamp issue jacks that are built into the rear bumper? If they are your own then you may need to look around for something a bit smaller - although it seems odd you cant get them under the trailer - is your trailer riding very low? Is it possible you need a new axle? One way to solve the problem may be to use leveling blocks and drive the trailer up onto them to raise it all up a little .
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Thanks for the quick response Carol!

These are just portable stabilizers. As far as I can tell it no longer has the standard stabilizers on the bumper (I'll go out and double-check). If I do need to use the portable jacks where would the optimum place be to use them so I don't damage the floor?

Thanks again!
markism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #4

Registry
Mark not sure how but your question has popped up on two threads. The first one appears here to save you from keeping tabs on two threads you may want to delete one.

You may not get many responses until Tuesday to your question - folks are out enjoying the last long week-end of summer.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

Registry
If you go to the Scamp website they have an owners manual on line - you can down load from the top link the PDF version. Trust me not a whole lot other than the appliances and pumps etc has changed on them over the years.

There are two beams abt 3" under the trailer on either side that run from front to back - you can put a jack on that beam but at the axle or close to the rear to avoid putting all the weight of the trailer on one point of the trailer.

Enjoy your new trailer.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
This question is in two threads, most of the action and pictures are over here
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/hopefully-help-for-a-first-time-scamp-owner-54177.html
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok,,,from the picture i would say three things strike me.

#1 the wheel on your jack stand is an add on. handy for moving,,,but too tall to level your trailer.

#2your axel is sagging...still usable,,but over the winter might be a good time to replace it.

#3 not sure if those jack stands will ever fit, but you can get the type put on the scamp at the factory for about $30 each or less so again,,,,over the winter is a good time.

and i bet dealling with those three will have you traveling smooth.

for now i would lose the wheel and see if things work a little better.