Help in Missoula - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Help in Missoula

This is not at all related to Fiberglass but, do we have any members in or near Missoula, Mt? My stepdaughter has stolen and now possibly abandoned one of my cars in one of the the Wal Mart parking lots in Missoula. If any members are in Missoula you can PM me.
Thanks Greg H.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Would help if you list
Year
Make
Model
Color
2 dr or 4 dr
of the car.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #3

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Would help if you list
Year
Make
Model
Color
2 dr or 4 dr
of the car.
Well I was kinda waiting for a PM. But anyway it's a Black 4 door Dodge stratus 2000 year model with Texas tags. Probably not too many of them with Texas tags in Missoula. The thing is Wal mart will most likely tow it and then it will be impounded before I could get there to get it, more wasted $. If someone was willing to spot it I would like to mail them a key to just drive it to there home until I could come and get it, really the way she has been lying to us it may not even be there.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Could you call the Walmart there and tell them the situation and have their Security Officer check to see if it really is there? Maybe they wouldnt tow it if they knew somebody was coming for it.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
melissab GREAT idea
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #6

Indiana
Yes, I'm going to contact both store managers and see if their outside guys can spot the car, and hopefully keep them from towing it.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #7

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
Greg, PMd you--(I haven't done that before but think I did!)
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #8

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
Greg, PMd you--(I haven't done that before but think I did!)
Yes you did and thank you very much, Greg.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Hi Greg, I live in Missoula and would be happy to go troll through the Wal Mart lot to see if I spot your car. I don't have a place to park it for you but perhaps it would be helpful to just know if it's there. I'd be happy to go take a peek. Sara
sara maccalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #10

I just noticed that you are an owner of another fine Boler American. That, of course, makes me even more eager to be of assistance. Sara
Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #11

Here in Missoula...

Greg,
Do you still need someone to go have a look for your car? I live in Missoula and would not mind trolling through the Wal Mart lot. Let me know, and if need be I'll zip over there.
Sara
Old 08-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm sorry you're experiencing this Greg. I hope everything turns out well... for all involved.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #13

Indiana
Sara, yes indeed any help would be appreciated, I'm not sure if it is there or not because I've heard so many lies lately but it would be a start if someone could spot the car for me. Donna D, it's not going to turn out very well for the younger folks involved, the police told me that I can't report the car stolen because I bought it for her and because she has been in possession of the vehicle, even though the loan, registration and insurance are all in my name(imagine that).
Old 08-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
the police told me that I can't report the car stolen because I bought it for her and because she has been in possession of the vehicle, even though the loan, registration and insurance are all in my name(imagine that).
Yes, I can imagine this. You bought it for her, gave her the keys (care and control). It's no longer a legal issue, but civil. By law she can't steal something that was given freely to her and the police won't get involved because you've changed your mind (no matter the reason). It's a quandry and sad.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #15

Indiana
Donna D, yes it is sad how someone you have raised since she was in diapers can make wrong choices when choosing friends and just throw away everyone who ever cared about them. And yes you are correct it has become a civil matter and the police wont touch it. I am wondering if I can hire an attorney and sue her for the cost to retrieve the (stolen) car and any damages to the car and any towing or impound fees that may come from it being abandoned?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #16

Yes you can sue her for "damages." Whatever State you're in, has Small Claims Court too where you can plead your case before a judge. In Oregon, no lawyers allowed and claims can be made for up to $7,500. But, then getting the money is up to you. Often folks need to get a collection agency involved, wages can be attached, etc. Now... I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, so be sure to check out everything to your best advantage.

There's a song about... always hurting the ones you love....
Old 08-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #17

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes you can sue her for "damages." Whatever State you're in, has Small Claims Court too where you can plead your case before a judge. In Oregon, no lawyers allowed and claims can be made for up to $7,500. But, then getting the money is up to you. Often folks need to get a collection agency involved, wages can be attached, etc. Now... I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, so be sure to check out everything to your best advantage.

There's a song about... always hurting the ones you love....
Yep, it all revolves around the mighty $, I can't really afford the Attorney and she can't afford to pay the judgement when she loses. I need to see about the Small Claims Court deal, she took the car from Indiana to Oregon when she was told not to and then to Missoula where she has now abandoned it and caught the Greyhound to Dallas, Tx to meet up with her next boyfriend.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
For anyone thinking of being in the same situation or for anyone's peace of mind get "LoJack" so the car can be tracked.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Greg, if she won't have money to pay, a judgment against her won't get you the money. You might get her wages garnished (if she had a job!) or get a lien on some titled property (if she owned any!), but otherwise it might be kind of pointless. Unfortunately.

You aren't the only one with an ungrateful kid. It can happen to the best of parents. I have a friend who would give you the shirt off his back. His daughter was rebellious as all get out, though. She moved out at age 18, and last spring at 19 she got pregnant and then she (finally) got a job and needed a car to get to work. So he agreed to help her by buying her a car if she would pay him $200 every month. Took her to the Ford dealer and handed her the keys to a brand new Focus.

The first month she was supposed to come by the house by 10:00 Sat. am with the payment. Close to noon she hadn't shown up so he called, and she was still in bed. He said, "Look, you promised you would be here at 10..." and she flew into one of her rages, lit into him, cussed him out and called him every rotten name you could imagine.

Fortunately she was only living an hour or so away, so my friend drove over there and picked up the car.

But he knew she still needed transportation, so he instead gave her his old minivan... the one with 280,000 miles on the odometer. Hers to keep and Good Luck. Probably more than she deserved, but he still loves her and hopes she'll shape up eventually.

Kids: sometimes ya don't know whether to hug 'em or shoot 'em.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Unfortunately this all sounds just like my Sister-in-Law and she is in her late 40's and still acting like this and treating my inlaws like crap even though they've given her e'thing. She stole my MIL's debit card and wiped out their checking acct this past Christmas so it appears just b/c people get older they dont always get wiser which is sad. They cant recognize unconditional love nor respect it. My MIL is in her 70's now and not the best of health so it wont be long before it's too late for her daughter to come around and have that special relationship. So sad that we all seem to know somebody in this situation.

I wonder if you do get the car back can she report it stolen since even though e'thing is in your name you still gave it to her? Something to look into just to be sure you wont have any problems down the road yourself.