HELP:Interior Height Issues/Comparison - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
HELP:Interior Height Issues/Comparison

I am researching and plan to purchase a fiberglass RV as retirement nears. I'm 6'4" and know I would get tired quickly of bending over in my trailer. I haven't been able to find out the specs on all models, or at least keep them straight in my mind. Please help me determine the interior height of specific models so I can quit wasting time on models that won't suit me or waste time driving several hours to look at something that won't work. And do specific models all have the same interior height, such as do 13', 16', and 19' models from the same manufacturer have uniform interior heights? Do newer and older models from same manufacturer have same height?
What are interior heights of;
Scamps (I love the Scamp but afraid all are 6'1")
Casita (same thing)
Lil Snoozy
Egg Camper
Burro
Escape
Bigfoot
any others

And I am afraid that the Egg Camper, Escape, Bigfoot, and Lil Snoozy may be out of my price range, and used ones seem to be rare.

Thanks in advance, I really have my heart set on a fiberglass but starting to get discourage. I can't afford to make a mistake on a purchase. I think I could make 6'3" work in bare feet.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group Mark

The Good News is that as we get further into the retirement years we tend to get shorter. With that in mind, in a few years you shouldn't have to stoop any more... (LOL)

But, even if the roof is far enough from the floor, most in the disadvantaged size range you occupy also find even more problems with the length of the beds. Better check that in your search as well.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
I am researching and plan to purchase a fiberglass RV as retirement nears. I'm 6'4" and know I would get tired quickly of bending over in my trailer. I haven't been able to find out the specs on all models, or at least keep them straight in my mind. Please help me determine the interior height of specific models so I can quit wasting time on models that won't suit me or waste time driving several hours to look at something that won't work. And do specific models all have the same interior height, such as do 13', 16', and 19' models from the same manufacturer have uniform interior heights? Do newer and older models from same manufacturer have same height?
What are interior heights of;
Scamps (I love the Scamp but afraid all are 6'1")
Casita (same thing)
Lil Snoozy
Egg Camper
Burro
Escape
Bigfoot
any others

And I am afraid that the Egg Camper, Escape, Bigfoot, and Lil Snoozy may be out of my price range, and used ones seem to be rare.

Thanks in advance, I really have my heart set on a fiberglass but starting to get discourage. I can't afford to make a mistake on a purchase. I think I could make 6'3" work in bare feet.
Good news! All Scamps are 6'3" interior height postfire (2006 and newer)
Prefire 13s are 6'1" inside. Prefire 16s are 6'3".
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When it comes to all molded towables, IMHO there are TWO things that are important. A comfortable place to sleep and a comfortable place to sit. Do you realize, no one stands up straight walking 2-5 feet? Even doing dishes, you bend at the neck and stare down at the sink. If you think you should stand up straight and walk down some aisle way for a walk... you will be sadly disappointed in most brands of all molded towables...

There are plenty of folks taller than you that are happy camping in teardrops....

BTW: Myron is taller than you and he now has an Escape...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have never hit my head on the trailer ceiling but have bumped my head on the rooftop A/C and above the door on many occasions . 1999 16' Scamp -- 2013 17' Casita --1949 6'2" Male
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

Missouri
Thanks Floyd, that's where was getting confused with Scamps. Now I will remember - only 2006 or newer have higher ceilings. That helps a bunch!!

Yes, I have considered sleeping, shrinking as we get older, and not always walking completely upright. I use to be 6'5" and very familiar with banging my head on things.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post From the archive search...

Quote:
I'm 6'4" and know I would get tired quickly of bending over in my trailer. I haven't been able to find out the specs on all models, or at least keep them straight in my mind. Please help me determine the interior height of specific models so I can quit wasting time on models that won't suit me or waste time driving several hours to look at something that won't work.
This old discussion might be of interest:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ear-36840.html
Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

Missouri
Steve, what's the height on the 2013 Casita?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The Trillium 1300 is about 6' 3" at the highest point, but I am about to make one a bit taller. My most recent acquisition, Humpty Dumpty:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...now-61473.html

Since significant glass work is required, I plan to push it up about 3" higher then the factory height and fill in the cracks that this will open up, with additional glass. It will likely settle a bit when I remove the forms, so 6' 5" is my expected interior height.

Also, the Bigfoot fifth wheel from the eighties has a very high roof. They have been known to go cheep around here.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #10

Missouri
I have ruled out 5th wheels and Bigfoot is heavier than I want. I am mainly interested in 16'-19' models that are around 2,000 lbs.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
I am mainly interested in 16'-19' models that are around 2,000 lbs.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

2,000 Lbs is still mostly in 13' territory, definitely no 19' in that range.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #12

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Even though you said Lil Snoozy was out of your price range, its interior height is 6'4". You might have to sleep diagonally in the queen bed, though (nominally 6'6").
Old 03-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #13

In Fred's list, the Bible of real trailer weights, there are a lot of 13's over 2000 lbs and while there is one 15'er that is a few lbs under 2000, everything else bigger than a 13' is over 2000 lbs.

That rules out anything over 13' for the most part. And 16'ers, fergetit.

As we have learned, mfgs. published weights are, by in large, for empty trailers with no options or accessories installed.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #14

Missouri
OK, 2000 lbs is wishful thinking. I will want to tow with a mid size vehicle so maybe 3,000 lb limit. But would rather not get distracted here on that issue or sleeping issue. Already figured I would sleep diagonal or modify bed.

Any more info on interior height issue will be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #15

Gotta say, there is a lot more concern hereabouts about towing capacity and trailer weight, than about bumping ones head. Head room has to do with personal comfort, trailer weight and towing capacity has to do with safety, and is higher on the priority scale.

I think that previous answers, and Post #7 pretty much cover the available range.

The term "Mid-sized vehicle" is somewhat archaic and no longer describes what size trailer might be towed. In fact, as it somewhat suggests a passenger car, the list of any of those that will safely tow 3000 lbs is very short indeed. The days of Dad's new Buick towing an Airstream is somewhat dated, except, apparently in some northern venues.

Now, give us a clue as to what you will be towing with, make, model and year.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #16

Missouri
Yes I understand safety issues and will have family with RVs to help me shop for right vehicle. One of my main attractions to fiberglass models is to eliminate the need for a gas guzzling big pickup truck. Of course safety will be a priority when the time comes. Right now I do not have a trailer but own a S10 pick up with 250,000 miles on it and my everyday Ford Focus. I plan on getting rid of both and settling on one vehicle when I purchase my RV.

So right now, I am not wanting to up the horse before the cart. I will get the RV that satisfies me and then worry about the proper truck/SUV/whatever to haul it.

So back to the topic, more information on interior heights of various models would be appreciated. Post #7 does provide some info but it is from 2009, and doesn't answer all questions such as does the interior height vary from older models to newer ones (glad to find out that is the case with Scamps) or with longer models vs. shorter ones, or other models not mentioned.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Mark where are you located,exactly?

I have a Casita and a Fiberstream in my driveway in STL that you are welcome to come stand in.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #18

Missouri
Thanks Ed. I am from Ste. Genevieve and a school teacher. I would love to see them sometime and talk to you about the pros and cons. I have yet to step foot in any fiberglass, I just love the models and know it's the way I want to go. If you would rather shoot me an email, mine is ...

mvogt@stegen.k12.mo.us

Depending on where you are in St. Louis, I could make a trip soon.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #19

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Thanks Ed. I am from Ste. Genevieve and a school teacher. I would love to see them sometime and talk to you about the pros and cons. I have yet to step foot in any fiberglass, I just love the models and know it's the way I want to go. If you would rather shoot me an email, mine is ...

mvogt@stegen.k12.mo.us

Depending on where you are in St. Louis, I could make a trip soon.
You are not too far at all.

I am in Brentwood,right in the middle.

PM me if you want to exchange info.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Check out the rally map link in first post http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...aps-61844.html

There is one in Il. coming up in May and there may be one someplace you want to go anyway for vacation or visiting. Rally is a great opportunity to see and check out many models and ages of FG campers. Often at a rally there is an informal open house on one of the days.

In a 13 ft. Scamp it is about 2 steps from table to front couch so walking around is minor, but standing up from sitting with a roof just a little too short is if you pardon the pun a headache. I'm 6'1" and I just fit in our older scamp. Bed is just long enough due to pillow putting head up a bit rather than straight across. Add a couple of inches to my height and it would still be workable but less than ideal.

Saw a nice mod for a bed to keep in mind. Extended table into center with fold up platform set in front of the sink. Allowed sleeping lengthwise instead of across.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote