Help me decide between a T@B Max and an egg type... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #1

Name: Carlton
Trailer: In the market
Georgia
Help me decide between a T@B Max and an egg type...

I have been researching Little Guy T@Bs and the fiberglass egg models for about a year now and was looking for a used egg but I've about given that up. Let me tell you my potential use of a camper and my situation and see if you can offer advice. I would assume that many of you have either owned an egg type fiberglass camper or went through the process I am now doing.

TV No problem, Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4wd or Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Looking at: Scamp 13 ft and similar or T@B Max or Outback with outside shower or even a T@G if it can be heated. I like the Little Guys especially with the tent room additions with floors. I want an easy to tow and handle small camper for boon docking at deer camp, for Florida State Parks for a few days to a week at certain times of the year, and perhaps heading out to Montana or North Dakota in Oct for bird hunting for a few weeks and who knows what else. Air and heating are a must. I may be on my own and sometimes have a guest or two where the tent addition would be nice.

It looks like I can get a new Scamp 13 ft model even with delivery a good bit cheaper than a T@B Max, also considering Casita and the new Trillium produced in Alabama but I would be cautious with that. I have figured out a portable shower system for boon docking so I am not worried about that. The 13s from the egg makers would be the bunk model with no bath but with air and heat. The T@B model would be one with an outside shower and either the inside kitchen or the clamshell. I would probably only use the inside kitchen on any of these to just boil water, etc. One of the things that makes me like the little Guys clamshell models and also desire for a tent with the eggs. Wind blows real strong out west sometimes.

So please offer me any suggestions you may have. Thanks from North Georgia.
CarltonC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Fiberglass camper will last longer and hold it's value better. I do know a couple people with T@bs that love them. Heard some had leakage issues, maybe it was only the older models. This is our setup wintering on Jekyll Island GA. Just substitute a Scamp or T@b for the Casita
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0364.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
We have a 13' Scamp with no bath and the regular size bed (45" wide) and I am very envious of the T@B camper with the queen bed and shower. That said, I've only seen pictures of one, and from what I can tell, it appears there is more inside room on the Egg style campers than on the T@b.
You are correct in pricing - a new fiberglass camper is less expensive than a T@b. I'm not sure why.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is a reason why Dutchman stopped making T@b's and T@da's, they started to leak. I had a T@da and got rid of it after one year. The fiberglass trailer will last a lot longer and be trouble free. You decide.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Aren't they made by Little Guy now, CPA?
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, you're on an all-molded towable forum. What do you think we'd tell you?

But still, it's more about you and less about us. It first starts with your tug. What is it capable of towing weight wise? Second it's about budget. What can you afford to spend? Third it's about layout. Are you planning to sleep 1 or 4 (or more).

There's a member here that started with an older 13' Scamp. Worked perfectly for several years.. then the kid grew up and wanted to bring friends! Still too young for a tent, but the layout was wrong. My friend sold the Scamp and purchased a T@DA. GREAT trailer, perfect layout for current needs.

That T@DA is perfect for the time and needs. Would I want one? No. But that's me. YMMV

Good luck in your decision.

Safe travels, always.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I also have a T@G and can attest to it's insulation value and quality of build. I've had a couple Little Guy products and can tell you they are very good quality and reasonably priced. None I've had leaked. The T@B is a nice trailer, fairly inexpensive. I like the clamshell model with the outside kitchen. It's kinda like a teardrop on steriods.

The teardrop community is fairly strong and alot of fun. They have their own rallies just like the FRP eggs do.

Either way you go, you'll enjoy it.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:18 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
Love our Boler!
But then I'm not partial.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:21 AM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Hi Carlton, welcome.

I'd try to go and see both a Scamp 13 Deluxe and the T@B Max S, even better if you could find one in the Outback package. If you can't look them over first, then I'd opt for the Scamp with the intention of reselling it if it doesn't work out. I think it'd be easier to sell without taking a big hit in the process. Both will do the trick, maybe a little more cool factor in the T@B Outback. Longevity, height, and resale, probably go to the Scamp.

I looked at the T@B's, the bed was too short for me.

Can you get the T@G with AC? doesn't mention it.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:52 AM   #10
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Fiberglass egg for sure but with your tow vehicle, wants and needs why such a small egg??? I would go 16' plus.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:13 AM   #11

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
I looked at a T&B at a rv show then i looked at a 17ft Casita, casita referral program, and i knew immediatly that the Casita was the right choice for me. The resale value of these fgrv's confirmed my decision to order one. Good luck in your search!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The April issue of Trailer Life magazine has an article about small trailers. They do mention Aliner, American Teardrop, Escape, R-Pod, T@b, Starcraft, and a nice little 16' Airstream with a base price of only $42,000.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Wants & Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Fiberglass egg for sure but with your tow vehicle, wants and needs why such a small egg??? I would go 16' plus.
The OP is asking about a SMALL trailer that he feels fits his needs. Why would he want to consider something bigger simply because his TV is larger than needed for a 13".

Most on this entire site embrace that right sized is right sized.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #14

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
There is a dealer local to us (Princesscraft) that carries the full line of T@Bs, T@Gs, Little Guys. We checked out the T@B, but both of us are in the 5'9" range and our heads grazed the ceiling, even at its highest point. So, add your height in as another factor.

Just looked at the Casita Web site; the Patriot (their 13' model) has 5'10" headroom. Also, I've never seen a post anywhere critical of the build quality and durability of a Casita. Ever.

That said, it seems a new fiberglass trailer would be better bang for buck, have a more durable exterior surface (for boondocking), have a better resale value.

And don't forget there are two new fiberglass campers on the way: Happier Camper and Nest.

From what you are describing, the Happier Camper could suit your needs; it can be configured for just you, or reconfigured when you have company. Happier Camper has a long history of refurbishing small fiberglass trailers for a rental business, so even though a new brand, it seems like they know their stuff.

Do they have a production date yet?
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #15

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
I owned a T@b for 8 years before going to an Oliver. First the new T@b's are expensive fully loaded they are hitting around 20 grand or more based on what we saw at a dealer last year. They are well insulated, construction is better than most stickies but not perfect. I know I made many repairs and mods. They will take a beating and suffer a lot of damage in a hail storm also known first hand and no way to repair. Yes they are light and small and you can maneuver them into small spaces but gas mileage towing with a T@b is barely any better than with our Oliver which is hardly a micro-lite trailer using our F150 it was way worse when we had the Tundra.

Clamshell is ok if you don't live in bear country or where bugs are an issue. Otherwise I recommend the interior kitchen which is very small and cramped even for small people like us. You can get one with a bath but it is so small it seemed unusable.

Towing quality is not as good as with our Oliver. Yes you read that right. The Oliver backs easier and more predictable too and you don't get as bumpy of a ride going down the road.

No idea how this compares with a Scamp though.

The long and short of it given your TV I would not consider the T@b as the few advantages of them do not outweigh the cost. The T@b bed is a nice size though one reason we never considered the Scamp which is a nice trailer.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #16

Name: Al
Trailer: Trillium
California
Carlton:

I have a 13 foot Trillium that me and my wife are very happy with. It has enough room for the both of us, and with the awning and add-a-room attachment for the awning, is perfect for us even in wet weather. But as has been said elsewhere in this thread, what's right for us may not be right for you. Make sure that when you finally buy your trailer that you are getting what YOU want, and not what someone else (including any sales people if buying new) tells you that you should want (unless it makes sense to you). That way you can be sure of many years of enjoyment! After all, isn't that ultimately what we are all looking for?
Old 03-21-2015, 08:23 AM   #17

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The 15' Parkliner might be a good compromise choice. Very well made and some great, unique features. Awning style windows, 6'5" ceilings, very large bed, Sturdy double bunk option, and more.
BTW, Casita no longer makes the 13' without bathroom.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #18

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
I just ordered our SCAMP 13 footer standard model back a couple of weeks ago. I have been looking for the right camper to tow behind my Jeep 2 door automatic for a few years. I looked very strongly at the Little Guy teardrops and then the TAB! I was pretty close to deciding that the TAB was the way to go. When by chance, I saw a picture of a SCAMP that I had looked at as a possibility several years ago.... I directed my research in that direction and found the SCAMP suited my needs over all the other campers I had considered.
The Little Guys are good campers and found them to be very nice, appealing and well built. Talking to the folks at Little Guy was encouraging.
However there were some deal breakers for me...
The interior height of any TAB is way too low for me... I could not stand erect in any of their models.
I could not stand straight and would have to bend way forward while cooking in any position the kitchen was in (except clam shell of course) Although very nice and seemingly would work very well, the clam shell kitchen gives you no choice for cooking on those rainy chilly days.
The bed was too short and would never be able to stretch my legs out.
My research found that the "basic" TAB model, with no options included, cost well over the cost of a 13 ft SCAMP with every option I needed and ordered. (this was a very large cost difference)
I chose the SCAMP 13 footer with the front sofa/bunk (no shower/bathroom), wider bed 54", roof A/C, and several extra little things.. outlets and lights etc. (and still cost several thousand under TAB's basic set up with no options)
With the SCAMP, I can stand up in every location except directly under the A/C (I am 5'14" tall) my head does rub a bit... but I fit! I can fit on both the bunk bed and the bed/dinette.
Also... the resale value and or the time it takes to sell a used SCAMP or other FG camper was highly encouraging! Many of these SCAMPS and other FG campers last only a few hours when advertised!!!!!!!!!! AND they keep a very high value too! Which tells me there is something to these campers that make them so highly desirable!
I feel I made the right decision and am very comfortable with it. I am looking forward to our little gem!
I hope this helps with your decision...
BTW... Call SCAMP and ask them for someone nearby that has a SCAMP model that you are interested in... they will give you a name and number for you to talk to these happy folks! I met a very nice couple and a nice SCAMP just the way I wanted it by just calling the folks at SCAMP 800 346 4962
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I test-pulled a T@B from a dealer one time up Monteagle Mt. It pulled good and I was driving a 4cy Nissan Frontier. BUT, it didnt have the bathroom and we wanted that. At THAT time, T@B didnt offer the bathroom/shower etc.

NOW...I was on their forum as well as Casita, Scamp, HiLo, and as I said, the "T@B". Listen to this.... TABS HAVE ABS PLASTIC on them. On the forum, the ABS (if exposed to continually UV) WILL crack and break. That's probably where the "leaks" come from. There was ALOT of displeasure over the ownership based on some of the posts. I did not and WOULD not purchase a T@B regardless how good the quality of Little Guys are until they do away with the PLASTIC trim! Back in '09 I personally didnt care for the "surge" break they were using either. Give me E-brakes and a controller!

I bought a new 13' Scamp but would now prefer an Escape/Big Foot but I dont think they make a 13'. My Scamp had "issues" (most of them known by Kent Eveland the owner!) from the factory...but I'd take it with the issues over the Tab any day! Plus it was cheaper....and I dont worry about my "plastic" trim breaking.

Regardless...the bottom line is.... go FIBERGLASS in a small trailer.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
This was exactly what I posted earlier, the plastic trim covered the 2 joints on each side (3 on the clamshell rear kitchen model) that allowed leaks and delamination. The bane of non molded construction.