Help me find a used Casita Freedom Deluxe! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Name: Robyn
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe Wanted
Arizona
Help me find a used Casita Freedom Deluxe!

We are exhausted trying to find a used Casita with the swivel Captain Chairs. We can't afford new (well we could if there wasn't so many extras tagged on). Craigslist has nothing but scammers. We're pretty set on the Casita Freedom, altho we would LOVE to hear from other owners on their thoughts on Scamp vs Casita. We only have an FJ Cruiser with towing capacity of 5000 lbs so we like the idea of the lightweight of fiberglass and the molding with the side seams (had plenty of travel trailers with leaks). It's just me and my husband and we don't want to sit on the uncomfortable molded foam dinettes and AREN'T interested in sleeping more than 2. We're considering Spirits if we can purchase the swivel captain chairs and replace with their dinette. We're not sure what's involved with this conversion...We did speak with Carla at Casita and she says they do sell the captain chairs but had to investigate the price. We're sure the conversion will be at least $1000. We are located in AZ, so anyone that is considering selling their Freedom, please contact us if you are an honest owner! Thank you in advance.
davisposse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #2

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
https://www.facebook.com/Molded.FiberglassRV4Sale

You may already know about this FB page, but it catches about 95% of the "for sale" FGRV's that go up for sale on Craigs and elsewhere. I'd check it religiously everyday.

I don't keep track, mentally, of what I've seen on there, but yes, I've seen Freedoms come up for sale. If it means that much to you, you really need to have 1. cash in hand. 2. Be ready to travel at a whip stitch. 3. Be prepared to travel, as an adventure, a thousand miles or more to pick it up. 4. AND do all this after making a phone call on the first day a new listing appears.

Finding the right FBRV is quite a full time job, it seems. While it is possible, it isn't likely one just washes up on your beach just a few miles from home. It's just the way it is.
Best of luck to you.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #3

Arizona
thx Frederick. I was unaware of that facebook site! Thank you so much. I have all 4 of your must haves in place! My husband is retired so he's ready to launch. Where we have hesitated is when they want $ upfront long distance. I might have been born at night...but it wasn't last night!
Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #4

Michigan
BTW, a quick look over there shows TWO late model, uber clean Freedoms. One in Oregon and the other in Louisianna. Both listings are under a week in age.

As for buying long distance it is super tough. People want some kind of deposit while they wait for you to come and 7 days pass. It's tough stuff for the seller. What if you don't show? Meanwhile, perhaps the seller has other people who can come over tomorrow? Are sellers to operate solely on first come, first served? What if a person traveling 1000 miles and as they travel the trailer get "sold out from underneath them"??? All this stuff and MORE happens all the time.

See these things are touchy and difficult. No super easy answers in the real world. For SURE!!!! There are dishonest scammers and crooks out there, but buying long distance involves honesty by both seller and buyer and connecting is sometimes difficult.

Again, good luck on your search and your purchase.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

Arizona
yes saw both. OR one looks perfect but over my budget. The LA is more reasonable but he put bunk beds in and took out the captain chairs. I may contact him to find out what's involved with reversing this...
Old 01-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome Robyn

Are you on both Casita forums, I would suggest posting want ads there also.

Also check out -
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...swivel-chairs/
This link won't work if you are not a member, it is how one person added swivel chairs to an SD.
I remember seeing other posts about buying really comfortable seat cushions from West Marine and using them on an SD. I have seen for sale posts with Freedom chairs for sale when people have changed their layout but can't remember any recently.
There is probably a post showing how to change from a SD to FD but I couldn't find it right now only posts changing from FD to SD Lol.

Good Luck in your search.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #7

Arizona
thank you!
Old 01-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Have you tried this site
Searchtempest
You enter your zip code
Distance your willing to travel
And what your looking for
It then searches all Craigslist ads
And yes be aware of the scams
It might be worth a try
Good luck ...

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Look under the " hi i am"
Section about 8 or 9 posts down
Titled Eleanor
They have a16' scamp for sale
It maybe another option

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #10

Michigan
Suggesting a 16 Scamp or 16 Casita, as this effectively doubles your search items, but none are of the "freedom" concept of two bucket chairs in the side dinette space.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #11

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Robyn,

I know our experience was anecdotal, but I had been researching RVs since September, '14 and I was doing this as a hobby thinking about a retirement plan in 10 years. I then got hooked and decided I wanted one in 5 years when our younger daughter graduated from college. Finally, this summer, I decided I wanted an RV in a couple of years, so I focused on smaller travel trailers. In August, I discovered FG rigs and this website/forum. I was hooked on FG eggs.

Still thinking we were two years from getting an egg, we kinda wanted a 13' Scamp, but it was too heavy for our TV. So, if we were going to get a larger used tug, we thought we might as well consider Scamp 16' Deluxes or Casita 17' Deluxes. Loved the idea of the swivel chairs, but we would have been happy with either the Spirit Deluxe or the comparable Scamp.

I thought we would probably end up with the Scamp since it is a lighter than the Casita. In early October, we spent one night at an egg rally (Land Between the Lakes Fall Rally). We toured rigs and met WONDERFUL people. LOL, this intensified my desire to own one still thinking it would be a couple of more years.

The next month, we bought our Casita!!! Prior to buying it, we had found a 2003 Scamp 16' Deluxe in Missouri (400 miles) from us. It was only $7,000 firm. I spoke to the owner twice. Older couple. Super nice. Due to my job, it was going to take me 2 weeks to get over there to see it. It was gone by the time I called the owner the 3rd time. Based on my research and conversations, it was a super buy, but who knows. I learned from this experience.

Within the next 24 to 48 hours, an '05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe popped up on this website in a small town just northwest of Cincinnati. It was about 240 miles away. My best friend lives in this town! We were scheduled to visit him that weekend! He lived 3.6 miles from the Casita owner! We looked at it. Loved it. Gave him his asking price of $10,300 (a very reasonable price). When we called him the next day after seeing it to make him an offer, I asked if he would be willing to deliver to us since we were agreeing to his price. I had no tow vehicle. He graciously agreed. He was not worried about a deposit. Once I got home, we figured out a delivery date. We corresponded by phone and email. In less than two weeks, he delivered it to our driveway. We went to the bank and took care of the financials. We were even members of the same bank!!! We gave him a U.S. Bank cashier's check and he walked over to the teller and deposited it into his U.S. Bank account! Could not have been easier. The owners even gave us a Casita Warming gift. One of the easiest major purchases I have ever made!!! We plan to rally with the previous owners in both April and June.

I realize that this is just my experience, but there are cool rigs out there. There are honest folks out there. I agree with all of the advice above regarding needing to move quickly, but cautiously.

Keep us posted,

Dean

P.S. - And, those swivel chairs are comfy!

Tags
casita