Help me learn - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #101

Name: Taras
Trailer: Currently shopping for Burro, scamp or casita
Colorado
called a local place to see cost on axle replacement with dexter and it sounds like $1000 is what it would cost. Not too bad. I guess we will see how bouncy this thing will actually be when on the road. I bet par of it is low tire pressure and the case that it was totally empty.

BTW, why does this thing have a garden hose water hook up? The only thing in here is a fresh water tank that is operated with a hand pump.
Rushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #102

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushin View Post
...BTW, why does this thing have a garden hose water hook up? The only thing in here is a fresh water tank that is operated with a hand pump.
Sounds like the sink drain. In the old days you attached a short piece of garden hose and ran it into a bucket. Poured it on the ground when full. In these environmentally enlightened days it's considered better to run it into a closed, vented container with a fitting on both ends (some places require it). There are also different rules about what to do with the grey water when it's full. Best to ask.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #103

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sounds like the sink drain. In the old days you attached a short piece of garden hose and ran it into a bucket. Poured it on the ground when full. In these environmentally enlightened days it's considered better to run it into a closed, vented container with a fitting on both ends (some places require it). There are also different rules about what to do with the grey water when it's full. Best to ask.
I am talking about the city water hookup next to the electrical plug.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #104

Arizona
Registry
Then I'm stymied. In my Scamp the city water hook-up connects to a separate cold-water-only faucet next to the sink. If it's not that, another U-Haul owner will have to chime in, or you can try to trace where it goes inside the trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scampy Faucets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	107052
Old 06-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #105

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Pictures help.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #106

Colorado
Here is what i got.
Attached Thumbnails
uhaul city water.JPG  
Old 06-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #107

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Best of both worlds

You have the capacity to fill from a source, into a fresh water holding tank (right), or connect to a city water source (left). Some sites and locations do not have water hookups. Some only have hose bibs scattered around the campsites. You are good either way. This puts you in a good place for when you are in an electric outlet only site. You can always fill before you get set up.
I don't yet have this capability in my camper, but will be setting up to do so very soon.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #108

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
You have the capacity to fill from a source, into a fresh water holding tank (right), or connect to a city water source (left). Some sites and locations do not have water hookups. Some only have hose bibs scattered around the campsites. You are good either way. This puts you in a good place for when you are in an electric outlet only site. You can always fill before you get set up.
I don't yet have this capability in my camper, but will be setting up to do so very soon.
So when connected to city water do i still need to pump the handle on the faucet?
Old 06-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #109

Missouri
Registry
You should have city water pressure doing that work for you.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #110

Colorado
so would i just pull up on the faucet and the water would flow?
Old 06-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #111

Missouri
Registry
Yes the pressure should be sufficient. You will need a proper hose. Camco TastePURE Drinking Water Hose
Shown for reference, not as an endorsement.....

Sure, you drank out of the hose off of your house and didn't die, but you will want to make sure your hoses aren't contributing to your early demise. Use a good hose to fill the tank and for regular service. If the camper has a filter in the line, go ahead and change it too. Who knows what kind of bacteria might have set up camp in there.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #112

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Yes the pressure should be sufficient. You will need a proper hose. Camco TastePURE Drinking Water Hose
Shown for reference, not as an endorsement.....

Sure, you drank out of the hose off of your house and didn't die, but you will want to make sure your hoses aren't contributing to your early demise. Use a good hose to fill the tank and for regular service. If the camper has a filter in the line, go ahead and change it too. Who knows what kind of bacteria might have set up camp in there.
Yeah.... i dont think i will be drinking out of that lol. Closest this water will get to being inside of me is to may wash my mouth when brushing teeth. But most likely not lol.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #113

Missouri
Registry
The best thing you can do for yourself is to learn all the quirks of your camper. Chase those hoses and electrical lines. They are probably exposed for the most part. Older campers have a history of modifications without documentation.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #114

Arizona
Registry
I had to do some checking on this one. I found this statement in another forum: "A common water pump in many Popups is the manual pump but if you push down on it it will run the city water but if you pump it pumps the water." There was also a mention of two-way pumps in this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...one-38903.html. I learned something!

Looks like U-Haul may use one of that type, but I'm still hoping for a U-Haul owner to clarify how the U-Haul hand pump works. Looking at your photos and other CT13s it looks like yours is OEM or an identical replacement.

You will want two devices between your city water connection and whatever comes out of the spigot at a campground: (1) a pressure regulator, so you don't damage lines and fittings with too-high pressure, and (2) as mentioned, a filter, mostly so you don't get sediment in your plumbing.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #115

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Forgot to mention, Scamp and Casita both have a gazillion rivets which can be leak sources
Common myth, greatly exaggerated!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #116

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We removed the water tank, faucet, and all lines from our Uhaul so can't comment on just how it works. Those old water tanks can get nasty inside so we decided we didn't want it. However we do like the plumbing in our Casita, city water, hot and cold faucets, and flush toilet.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote