Help Needed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: Currently Shopping
New York
Terry, thank you for the info. Fortunately my dental school tuition was paid off about 35 years ago! I am very aware of the portable dental equipment available, as I taught Special Care Dentistry for 15 years, and am Board Certified in it. I currently have all of the equipment that I need for portable use, and really only need a vehicle to put it in.

I am not interested in a dental only vehicle, although those units are widely available, and really nice, they are sole purpose and large. I realized long ago, that I cannot cure the dental problems of the world. What I am interested in is going to visit people who are unable to venture far from their homes and treat them literally in their driveway. Unfortunately, that is difficult to do when you drive up with a 40' class a or class b motorhome, and not very efficient, that is why that part of the population is so under served.

What I want to do is use a small glass trailer, and make it so that the interior is basically removable. That will allow me to put my portable equipment into it and treat patients as needed, and when Linda and I want to use it as an RV, remove those items, put in the bed, kitchen etc. and go. I realize that this may have never been done before, but there is always a first, and my nature is to experiment.

Roger
Roger O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #22

New York
Robin, I will contact Eggcamper tomorrow, but from the looks of the floor plan, they too have molded in areas by the side seating that may interfere with walking around I also need a door that has wheel chair access. I'll post my results when I find out.

Roger
Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #23

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You're going to have to find something else, I'm afraid this will never work. There is a Teardrop forum that has a cargo trailer conversion section and you would be amazed at the possibilities.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger O View Post
Robin, I will contact Eggcamper tomorrow, but from the looks of the floor plan, they too have molded in areas by the side seating that may interfere with walking around I also need a door that has wheel chair access. I'll post my results when I find out.

Roger
Few rigs have been built with wheel chair access. I know Sunline (now out of business) built some wheel chair accessible rigs. Most doors are 20-24 inches wide.

The toy hauler is probably the only wheel chair accessible production unit.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #25

New York
Quote:
You're going to have to find something else, I'm afraid this will never work.
Greg, someone much wiser than I told me long ago, "never say never". I am not giving up just yet, heck, I just started my research!

By the way, when it does work out (and I'm certain it will), I will be glad to send you the pictures.

Roger
Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You could also take a look at the VRV by Livin Lite/CampLite. All aluminum construction, toy hauler, and bumper pull. Those are also very interesting little trailers that just might suit you stated needs, and I am willing to bet that the company would be willing to work with you as it would be a great way to get their name out there.
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #27

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Not to open myself to accusations of heresy, but if I was buying new, I'd probably buy an all-aluminum trailer!
Those Livin' Lites are pretty cool, and talk about lightweight...

Too bad they're so boxy looking, though

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #28

New York
How about (heaven forbid!) the new Eddie Bauer Airstream? It has a rear door to load a handicapped patient and equipment. The only major downside seems to be the price, but if they hold their value...
Old 05-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Roger, I replied to your posts in another thread, then came here and saw more info from you on what you're looking to do. Not sure if these would be of interest to you, but I'll mention it:
KZ Recreational Vehicles: Sportsmen® 16FKTH
It's a stick built travel trailer (FG heretic hunters, don't shoot me!) with a ramp rear, and just 17' long overall.
Or try this:
Quicksilver All Aluminum Ultra Light Campers, Ultralight Campers, Lightweight Campers, Ultra-Lightweight Campers
Livin Lite makes aluminum framed trailers with rear ramp door.

Since Lil Snoozy plans to also offer "Lil Hauly" cargo trailers, I bet they will be able to offer a ramp door as well.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Someone posted a link to a molded FG trailer that was meant for hauling motorcyles sometime this year. I don't have the time to look tonight, but that might suit your needs.

I'm sort of wondering about some of the legal aspects of your intentions. Are you maintaining your licence? Is it valid across the various borders? Insurance? I know for me, crossing any border would create havoc.

Another option might to pick up a used SPRINT (the Chrysler X Mercedes van) that was set up for side wheelchair access and convert that. Then pick up an egg to tow behind. You can leave your campsite, and travel to your patients.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger O View Post
Thanks Joe, I actually spoke with them yesterday, and after explaining what I wanted, they did not think that I could do what I wanted with the Escape. The salesman said that the cabinetry and storage wells were actually part of the structure, and that the glass walls by themselves were not self supporting. Perhaps I spoke to the wrong person...
I dont think you spoke with the wrong person. What you were told is correct. They dont use rivets through the trailer body as they do with the Scamps or many of the other trailers so its not possible to remove everything from the inside and just end up with an empty smooth walled shell to rebuild it inside as you want it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #32

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Here is a potential one Roger
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-fl-46733.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote