HELP! Scamp stolen today! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 15
Ontario
Lock the barn after the horse is gone

Sorry to hear about your trailer. My buddy had his Trillium 4500 stolen this spring. He had just finished a three year restoration job. He and the police recovered it in two days hidden in a barn 75 km away.

Since vintage trailers have a tendency to wander off he made 3 mods to it.

1. He imbedded a chip (same as used for dogs and cats) in the Fibreglass body.
2. Placed a tracking tag in the cupboard over the sink ( easy to find )
3. Hid a gps cell tracker under the ceiling liner wired to the solar system power.

The gps tracker sent out its location twice a day. The police used this to locate the trailer. When they recovered the trailer the scanned the chip to confirm its identity. The thieves had removed the vin and other ID and where about to re paint it.
The tracking tab in the cupboard had disappeared.

The police also found two other stolen rv’s a boat and a snowmobile on the property. Court case is ongoing.

I have now made similar mods to my 4500.

Hope that yours is located soon.
Mcoltas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #22

Name: Reinout
Trailer: In the Market
WA
Dang! Make sure you have your VIN for folks to keep an eye out.

On a “positive” the dealer is going to have to replace that I’m sure.
Reinout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #23

Name: Etta
Trailer: Thinking about it still
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcoltas View Post

1. He imbedded a chip (same as used for dogs and cats) in the Fibreglass body.
2. Placed a tracking tag in the cupboard over the sink ( easy to find )
3. Hid a gps cell tracker under the ceiling liner wired to the solar system power.

I have now made similar mods to my 4500.
Please share details of the specific units you used.

TIA
alaimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #24

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Stolen Scamp

I would be interested in hearing from others who have had their RV's stolen or broken into. My Scamp 13 was broken into a couple of weeks ago and I also have had my trailer plate stolen in the past. My unit sits in a secured storage yard but others in that facility have also reported breakins.
Dan Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chapman View Post
I would be interested in hearing from others who have had their RV's stolen or broken into. My Scamp 13 was broken into a couple of weeks ago and I also have had my trailer plate stolen in the past. My unit sits in a secured storage yard but others in that facility have also reported breakins.
Sure dont sound very secured to me...
In fact Storage Yards are a common target of thieves. Even with good fencing and "controlled" access, many people have their things stored there and can get it. The places are often in remote areas where a fence can be cut and not seen from any street. At many storage yards, if you go to the PD and request a list of property crimes at that location you will be shocked. I generally think that a tracking device is kinda silly for most people, but if I had to store my Scamp in a storage yard I think I would get one. And it would be good to have one for short term also when leaving the camper at a repair shop with a bad reputation for security.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #26

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorisis View Post
Sounds like an inside job. Maybe not Camping world itself, but one of the workers.
This happens at Camping World all the time because usually the stores are in out of the way places with no traffic around after closing the store. They don't care about you or your vehicle or they would put up a fence at least. This has been going on for years. I've even emailed Marcus Lemonis about the problem and he doesn't respond. So don't buy an RV or have an RV serviced at Camping World. If people boycotted them until it hurt they'd do something about it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp