HELP! Scamp stolen today! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Angry HELP! Scamp stolen today!

I just got called by Camping World of Greensboro/Colfax, NC that my 2019 Scamp Standard Layout 6 was stolen off the repair lot (the AC unit failed).

Police report filed, but if anyone sees this camper listed for sale anywhere, please let me know ASAP. It has a brown interior with a brand new Dry Flush toilet replacing the factory installed one and I can't imagine many fit this specific description. I've only used it twice since I got it a year ago!

firesign at mindspring dot com
three three six nine oh eight six three four one

Judi
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
and the trailer license plate number is?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
and the trailer license plate number is?
North Carolina CL61998 but it is expired plates because I have the brand new sticker in my possession awaiting its repair/pickup.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Sorry to hear that. I sure hope it is recovered and is in the same condition as it was when you dropped it off for repairs.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Scamp 13' 1978!!
North Carolina
Was just going to post this for you! Good luck!
lisachenausky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
It will be interesting to see what if anything Camping World will do for you.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Stolen Scamp

Judi, since all Scamps look pretty much the same to most people, is there anything, even a small detail, that a fellow Scamp owner might recognize from a short distance? e.g. Good Sam sticker, reflective tape, different jack or curtains. The original license plate is probably no longer on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi in NC View Post
I just got called by Camping World of Greensboro/Colfax, NC that my 2019 Scamp Standard Layout 6 was stolen off the repair lot (the AC unit failed).

Police report filed, but if anyone sees this camper listed for sale anywhere, please let me know ASAP. It has a brown interior with a brand new Dry Flush toilet replacing the factory installed one and I can't imagine many fit this specific description. I've only used it twice since I got it a year ago!

Judi
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
A homeless person made our. Bigfoot his home while we were waiting for parts at Camping World Tacoma. He smoked and basically moved in. There is NO security at Camping Worlds that I know of. They paid to detail, inside and out, our rig. Don’t go there for repairs. Help out the small business persons in your area.
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
It will be interesting to see what if anything Camping World will do for you.
Maybe a $20 gift certificate.. its standard policy at repair shops to deny any responsibility for vehicles and other items left for repair. Its often printed on the repair order that you need to sign before they start work. Unless you can prove in court that they were grossly negligent then they will not be on the hook. Hope there is a good owner's insurance policy in effect. Personally, if mine were stolen and damaged to any more than minor extent, then I would prefer to collect the payout on my replacement policy.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
I am devastated for you. This is everyone's nightmare.
Can you send a picture?
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:

I'm so sorry to see this.

You might try monitoring through SearchTempest to see if it pops up for sale on Craigslist or eBay nationwide.

https://www.searchtempest.com/

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Can you send a picture?
This was posted on a Scamp Facebook group in regards to this case, and I'm pretty sure its the OPs rig.. (yes, it looks like every other Scamp 16 from the outside ) ... she noted that that has "a custom DryFlush Toilet installed to replace the normal factory black water one. "

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #13

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

Judi
Sorry to hear you lost your trailer. Camping World is one of the worst places to have repairs made on any RV. They do not have a secure area to keep a rig while waiting repairs or after repairs are made. Marcus Lemonis makes millions of $$ from the Good Sam Conglomerate but doesn't seem to care about the members or he would have taken care of this problem a long time ago. This has been happening at Camping World Stores for years.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
And then there’s always the specter of “inside job” anytime you have a situation like this. Businesses who truly care have fences, locks, anchor bollards, and multiple working security cameras. Tracking devices owned by individuals are also a possibility as are numbers on the roof.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:41 AM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
https://www.koco.com/article/mechani...-say/28571853#

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ot-166342.html

Endless sad stories out there concerning Camping World. AVOID!

This article takes the cake!

https://blog.campingworld.com/rv-bas...ting-rv-theft/

Regardless of any waiver signed, there is a certain level of security assumed in this situation. Lawyer time.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #16

North Carolina
Update on my stolen Scamp RV saga. First I want to THANK YOU ALL for the 3.2K shares and messages and all of you who are seaching for me!!!!
I spent Saturday morning at CampingWorld of Colfax (one whole hour waiting for someone who could talk to me). They have ZERO camera coverage for that part of their lot, and quite frankly MOST of their lots--the cameras they do have are near people entrances. They interviewed all employees and the last time someone was sure they had laid eyes on my camper was last Tuesday. Yes, you read that right--three days before anyone thought to mention it once they noticed. So I'm sure my trailer is looooong gone. Since my tags are expired (I have the new sticker), I had them check their temp tags to be sure it wasn't an inside job. No remose was shown other than "sorry to hear about it" at the dealership. Five thumbs down for everything I experienced and have since heard of this facility. I was having warranty work done on the broken AC and they are one of the very few places in NC that can do that. I can say I will certainly make the long drive to any other location to have any work done in the future.

Note that I filed the police report the moment I knew on Friday just after 5 p.m. but the crooks had a head start. CampingWorld casually mentioned other thefts. I went through a list of recommended changes they should make (they seemed to take them to hear since I presented it all in a factual, "these are easy things to do" manner), that my insurance company would be collecting from them and the police would be there to finish the report as soon as they caught up to my crime report (#220 for the day in Guilford County). I'm very sure I will never see this little cutie again. I am ordering a new Scamp on Monday and I'll see it sometime at the end of 2021 because the order list for making these wonderful little Rvs is that long. I waited 12 months for this one.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #17

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
I’m so sorry to hear this sad news, and that you have to wait such a long time for your new rig. I hope your insurance covers the full replacement cost.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #18

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
This is just awful! I've never had any work done at Camping World and I most likely never will after reading about this and other problems.

For your new rig (and everyone else, for that matter), install a tracking device that's hidden inside your rig where a thief wouldn't easily find it. Spot is one such device. There are others available, I'm sure. And keep your batteries fully charged - tracking devices won't do any good if they run out of juice.

I like the idea of painting numbers on the roof. Or something else to make your rig look different from others out there. However, with numbers on the roof, it certainly wouldn't be seen by most folks out there driving by. Maybe something on the front and back. And yeah, most of the trailers look the same, regardless of the brand. I've got cat decals all over mine instead of the Escape decals. It certainly stands out, until someone takes them off, of course.

Best wishes towards the police and insurance claims.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #19

Name: DANIEL
Trailer: Trillium
GOODYEAR
I saw your post on Facebook and shared it in Northern California.
Dbasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #20

Name: Doris
Trailer: In the Market
California
Stolen Scamp

Sounds like an inside job. Maybe not Camping world itself, but one of the workers.

Quote:

Judi
Dorisis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp