Help with 04' used 13' Scamp: Buying advice? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Hi all!,

This is an 04' 13' Scamp in Anchorage, AK. My wife really wants one, and its her 50th. It is from an RV renter/dealer, so it may have been a rental?? It is the basic model (no bathroom). I believe it has electric breaks, a heater and an awning. It does have some spider cracks on the outside (see pic).

Any suggestions on fairness of this deal? The bluebook was absurdly low (like $1950 or something).

Input much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0853_web.jpg   DSCN0854_web.jpg  

DSCN0855_web.jpg   DSCN0856_web.jpg  

DSCN0857_web.jpg  
Mike Butteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
those look like stress cracks in the gel coat. not a big deal to fix. and unless its got water going into it or it is moving should be fine. looks like a nice trailer. the great thing about fiberglass is that its fairly easy to repair.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have rented in the 100s of rental cars...

my motto "Nothing Handles Like a Rental".....

I personally would not buy a used rental anything...and with a trailer.. I am guessing the roads in Alaska are NOT paved with smooth cushiony rubber and marshmallows so nothing ever gets abused?

7k may be appropriate for Alaska, and it is reasonably new. Look it over carefully..
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It would be hard to find a FG trailer without a stress crack in the gel coat. That could have started when the took the body out of the mold. It also looks like that might be on the same side as the awning.

Grab the buyers check list from the document center and go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb. The numbers on the back might indicate it was a rental. I'm a little surprised a dealer would not clean and polish it up a bit before selling, that might give you a clue as to the maintenance it's received. Chances are they are open to negotiation.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mike...Check the price of a new one at scamptrailers.com and then figure what price a trip to Backus Mn. would cost???
They might take an offer of $5,k as long as all it needs is a good scrub...but then again every part of them is replaceable and not to expensive.
I sold our former '77 Boler for more... but I did a lot of refurbish and extras.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
77_Boler__Emily.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Hi all!,

This is an 04' 13' Scamp in Anchorage, AK. My wife really wants one, and its her 50th. It is from an RV renter/dealer, so it may have been a rental?? It is the basic model (no bathroom). I believe it has electric breaks, a heater and an awning. It does have some spider cracks on the outside (see pic).

Any suggestions on fairness of this deal? The bluebook was absurdly low (like $1950 or something).

Input much appreciated!
I have a 'Special from June 2007' from Scamp for the 13' standard was $7,795, the deluxe package was $8,695. Here is the link for the Scamp site

Hope you have the opportunity to contact Scamp to see if they have any 'specials' right now.

Good luck.

Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It's not a rental, it's a private egg -- Might have been a trade-in or on consignment -- The numbers on the back are a ham radio call sign:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/...?licKey=2785676

It looks like the owner did a lot of good mods, like the high brake lights, the extra overhead cabinets fore and aft, the awning, etc.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
You say 'rental' like it's a bad thing?

I'm sure my 85' U-haul had been rented a time or two, yet it's in like new condition.. Still all original!!

Fiberglass trailers are made like tanks - sturdy, rugged, and just plain cool!!

I say "buy what you like and can afford and make new memories" in it!

Good luck in your journey..
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Looking at the pictures it might a Standard 13 footer with the Package option as I can see a screen door, refrigerator, silverware drawer, window over stove & city water and then the options of front overhead cabinet & furnace.

My 2001 13 footer Standard with package, no awning, listed at $6680 then added options A/C, gray water tank, 2 speed fan, furnace & front overhead cabinet for a final total of $8020.

If you took my Standard plus package $6680 and added the front overhead cabinet $134, the furnace $320 & the awning price unkown, mine would have been in excess of $7134. So I'd say I wouldn't pay $7000 for the same Scamp even though it's 3 years newer, it's used.

Personally, the trailer is now 5 years old so I'd offer $5000. But it's up to you as to how badly you'd like to have it.
I'd also say that I'm sure these little fiberglass trailers are hard to come by up in Alaska. It's a long ways to the lower 48 to get either a new or used Scamp. See if you can get it for $6000 max. but start at $5000 and go up.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #10

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I talked to the owner again, and indeed it was a trade-in. From what I'm seeing, these eggs are hard to come by up here in Alaska. True, I would hate to pay what the scamp cost back in 04' new, but if that is the only option, I might have to go for it.

Again, thanks for all your replys,
Mike.
Mike Butteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:14 AM   #11

Quote:
The numbers on the back are a ham radio call sign
Good eyes Pete, nice to know you can track down that info too!

Last used car we bought off a dealer, we tracked down the original owner from info in the service manuals and got a full verbal history on the vehicle, including trade in price. Maybe Mike can do the same for this trailer.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:22 AM   #12

The Scamp site says trailers are available for immediate deliver, (no listing to Alaska though).
This page on the web site has pricing.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mike..."My wife really wants one, and it's her 50th." This quote says it all...because I bet She is PRICELESS!!! Go buy the trailer for the best price you can get it and clean it up and go camping...You won't regret it!!! My Sister in law bought my Bro a Mo Ho for his 50th and he just turned 70 and he's on his 3rd. one... but health is becoming an issue NOW!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I say this only in mock seriousness, but I think I paid about the same price as the original buyer of my 1974 Boler did! (Of course that's different because you can't buy a new Boler for close to that price now; I'm just noting it.)

Raya

PS: I bet Scamp would add on a hefty delivery fee to get to Alaska, wouldn't they? Probably truck to Seattle and then barge/ferry? So that's worth something.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #15

Scamps zone 2 for delivery goes extends the NW corner of Montanna.

Wondering if it would be possible to take a trip down empty and surprise the Mrs. once you get there.

Hearing a modified Frank Zappa in the background...

An' ride
Like a cowboy
Into the dawn to Montana

Goin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Old 04-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #16

It would be a nice surprise, but might backfire -- Ladies usually like to pick out stuf like color schemes, curtains and stuf like that for their homes and this would be a home on wheels...
Old 04-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
Quote:
It would be a nice surprise, but might backfire -- Ladies usually like to pick out stuf like color schemes, curtains and stuf like that for their homes and this would be a home on wheels...

hehe. my wife could care less. I'm the one bugging her about what "theme" to go with when i reupholster it and put in a new floor... i think half the fun of a new trailer is making it yours and customizing it to fit your camping style.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Wait, you mean all women aren't the same!?

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #19

Now THAT would be a really bad assumption to make!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
So Mike, did you follow up on Pete Dumbledon's lead and communicate with Harry Searles,the previous owner? Pete posted the link to the FCC's Amateur Radio license info for the call AL7RX.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp