hey i want to do a mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
hey i want to do a mod

i have a 13f scamper i hate those rear jacks they make me stoop and bend over with my back surgery it kills me. the jacks have eyes on them.

soooo i am thinking a pair of new rear jacks i can run up and down with my power drill i could do this with my A-Liner!

or what about this the cheapest route would be take it to the welder and have him weld on a couple of nuts.

maybe the easiest and cheapest unless i can go power some how!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Good idea. I would want to do the same. You should have no trouble finding a couple of loose nuts around here. No, not me!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Take a couple of front post jacks and have your welder mount them to the rear bumper. Then take off the top handle and weld on a 3/4" nut so you could run a cordless impact to run the jacks up and down. Do that to the front post jack too and you will have an easy time of it. With a bad back you should carry a cordless impact to do lug nuts for you car and trailer anyway. The new cordless 20 volt impacts are great tools these days and the batteries last along time.

I have a Dewalt 20 volt max 1/2" impact and its a great tool for the price. It will break loose 1/2" lugnuts torqued to 100 ft lbs. All four wheels off and on without dragging the battery down. This has made the chore of rotating tires on my Bronco so much easier.

Since you will be powering these jacks at a speed they were not designed to run it would be important to keep the gearing properly lubed every so often.

It will also be important to resist the temptation to use these powered stabilizers as jacks as the rear of the frame is not really designed to carry jacking loads at the end of the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I did that Bob. Way better and much more range of support on uneven sites. Just have to remember whether forward on the drill is up or down. I always forget.

I mounted mine to a treated 2x8 running across the trailer. I don't have a welder.

john

Pic of the Tetons about 14 months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Trips West 3 (1).jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #5

Missouri
nuts here

My A-Liner had these I looked again and it will be simple to do!

yes I know all they do is stabilize but thanks for the advice.

I will call my guy right away I cant do much for the front

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
BAL makes a great set of jacks. They are plenty strong enough to change a tire or service the brakes. They are placed further forward than the stab jacks and they have their own cross member. Also easy to run up and down. Here they are on my Scamp13...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0007.JPG   DSCF0008.JPG  

DSCF0004.JPG   DSCF0012.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #7

Missouri
nice

those look great

I want some

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #8

Missouri
steve recently I was a state park I was dropping the back jack got down and couldn't get back up. bad deal I yelled for wifey now where to be found some neighbors came rushing over to help me out! life is good in the trail!!

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #9

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Rear Stabilkizers

Finally got rid of my rear stabilizers on my Casita. Same issues with the back and they were getting warn out.

Put the scissors jacks in using angel iron and bolts.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
BAL makes a great set of jacks. They are plenty strong enough to change a tire or service the brakes. They are placed further forward than the stab jacks and they have their own cross member. Also easy to run up and down. Here they are on my Scamp13...
Floyd,

I considered Bal, but cheaped out with a couple at ⅓ the price. They work OK, but Bal is better and stronger. Sorry I did that. At the time my garage was very narrow and there would be no way to access both sides so I opted for rear facing adjustment. Now the Scamp is outside and I have plenty of room on both sides. Oh well.

Happy December, john

pic showing it must be Autumn
Attached Thumbnails
Trips West 13.jpg  
Old 11-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
No need for new jacks and no need to make any modifications. You are far from being the first person who wanted to be able to run the jacks up and down with a power driver.

Your problem has already be solved and it was done by "some other guy".

There is an adapter socket made to work with those loop fittings you have.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Socke...p/lvsg-630.htm

PS: Quit bending and sit down on a stool for the job. They make folding step stools with assist handles to help people sit down and get back up again as well as adding stability while standing on them. You might want to invest in one of them as there will be other task on your trailer that you need to work on that are low to the ground. A lot of people who garden use such things. Helps with bad backs, bad knees too.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #12

Missouri
already have one

I already have one of those my 13f scamper uses a hook pain in the butt as I have to bend way over to get it to work.

ever had rods put in then taken out longer ones put back in I doubt it a stool doesn't help in my situation but I make things work.

as I stated I have decided to have those hook things cut off and nuts welded on this will make things much better and easier.

thanks

bob
Old 12-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post

PS: Quit bending and sit down on a stool for the job. They make folding step stools with assist handles to help people sit down and get back up again as well as adding stability while standing on them. You might want to invest in one of them as there will be other task on your trailer that you need to work on that are low to the ground. A lot of people who garden use such things. Helps with bad backs, bad knees too.
Wow, have I ever learned the value of your advice as my body deteriorates with age. I use a stool for lots of low level tasks, but haven't yet for adjusting jacks. I do wonder about finding a belt-mounted model to help me rise from a squat.

Cheers, john
Old 12-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #14

Registry
On my original stab jacks, I welded flat carbon steel handles to the inside so that they extended up behind the bumper. This allowed me to drop them from above the bumper by simply pushing the handles inboard.
No more laying on the ground to deploy them.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #15

Registry
Just to clarify... the jacks on my trailer are operated with a supplied socket speed wrench, have an integrated crossmember and a rating of 2000 pounds per side.
I used the 17" version of the one shown below for my Scamp13, this taller one may be better for trailers with more ground clearance
Simple modifications may be required for different applications...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UZWO04...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 12-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Floyd,

Does the jack you are using reach the ground without the blocks or do you need to put the blocks under them?
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
Floyd,

Does the jack you are using reach the ground without the blocks or do you need to put the blocks under them?
I have a 13 so there is plenty of reach to even lift the tires off the ground without using pads. In fact, I have since found the round steel "feet" at a garage sale for a couple bucks apiece. I now use them without blocks.
I did not buy the feet originally because they cost $29, which I thought was too much.
Mine are 17" max extension. I don't know if they still make them. The link I showed only had 24" and 30". I have never reached full extension but a trailer with more clearance (like a 16) might.
I placed them as far forward as possible without interfering with the gray water tank.(maybe a foot ahead of the stab jack location) They are very stable and strong enough to use them for service jacks.
A Scamp frame is narrow for these jacks so I had to take about eight inches off of each nesting rail which still left them without interference for the lifting screws. Two minutes with a cutoff wheel.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #18

Missouri
in my case a stool wont work makes it worse when I get down to do things I have no leg strength to get back noramally due to the extensive back surgery. I usually have my cane with me to act as a pole to get back up.

one thing my doc got me a disabled sign!!

bob
Old 12-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Thanks Floyd! Mine is a 13ft as well.
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:02 AM   #20

Missouri
Floyd thanks for posting this! But man those electric ones are high dollar!

bob