Hitching Aid? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #1

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
Just ran across this on a single gal full timer's web site. She uses them and swears by them. Since they look so interesting, I thought I would post the link and see what you folks thought.

Here 'tis:

http://garage-toys.com/alquichitgui.html

Art
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've seen those but never tried them. I find that "Back-up Buddy " works pretty good for me. Back-up Buddy is available from a Fiberglassrv member. Here's the link to his posting.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have used the alignment sticks for several years and when you are traveling along they are great to get the ball to the hitch.
I also use the V-shape tunneling plate to move the hitch over the top of the ball, with these two its a snap to get hitched by yourself.
The only thing you have to do is once the alignment sticks are pushed away, is to stop and assure that the hitch is ABOVE the ball so the V-plate can do its job.
My alignment sticks costed 17 dollars from Amazon site several years ago

Happy camping
Jerry Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I do have the Back-up Buddy, but on my van the alignment so that I can see the hitch has not been worked out very well yet. Maybe next time. In the meantime I try to make a game of it to see how well I can align the hitch ball by jumping in and out of the van to estimate how far and where I have to go to align everything. There is also the thrill and the danger of making a mistake by backing too far and crashing into the tongue (I have evidence).

I am thinking of making a training video of me jumping in and out of the van to do this. The exitement would probably leave most people breathless (or convulsed).

After the deluge has stopped here (July) I will complete installing the back-up camera. It will probably work much to well for my liking and contribute a bit to my post-middle age spread. It is possible that I am my own worst enemy.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Jumping in and out of the car and running to the back of my SUV to check the alignment is a major source of aerobic exercise for me - makes up for the long hours sitting still and driving.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:01 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe 16 ft
I made my own by glueing a magnet to the bottom of two rods that have a flag on them. I put one on the ball one behind to coupler on the trailer. When the trailer coupling hits the one on the ball I know I'm there. Works great. Just wish I had used bigger stronger magnets.
Ron B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I do not use any alinement devices other then the center of my talegate and when I get to where I think it's close I stope.
Get out and make sure the trailer hitch is high enough and note the distance I need to go back and any slight adj. I may need to make.
Now when I am back in the drivers seat I leave door open and look at the front tire and note a spot on ground say 6 inches that I need to back up and drive my truck back till I am at that spot and ussually it works every time.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I use exactly the same method as Gerry, but since I drive a van I hook up with the tailgate open and use the latch as the "center of tailgate" mark. Since I can't judge the distance as well as Gerry, I end up getting in and out like everyone else. Since I now have one dent in my bumper (the ball is really close to the bumper and I backed up a bit too far once), I am considering my options for an alignment aid like the ones being discussed here.

I think a camera would be a great high-tech solution, but I just don't think the problem needs that much technology.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Well, Brian, I would agree with you heartily, but there are other considerations in our case. Our van usually sits in a driveway pointed down at about a 30 degree angle (under-house garage) and when backing out it is REALLY impossible to see what's behind. (I like the idea of opening the tailgate, but by that time there is too much "Stuff" packed in the rear.)

I watched my wife from the window one morning as she was unable to see the car in the driveway opposite ours also backing out. They were headed for an intimate encounter until someone finally saw the problem. Add kids, pedestrians, etc. and rearward vision is a real concern with our van.

The first camera will be placed on the rear of the trailer because the Burro is wider than most and cars sneak up on us when we least expect it. The second will be on the van IF the first one works OK. But, the overtechnologizing (huh?) bothers me too.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I do not use any alinement devices other then the center of my talegate and when I get to where I think it's close I stope.
Get out and make sure the trailer hitch is high enough and note the distance I need to go back and any slight adj. I may need to make.
Now when I am back in the drivers seat I leave door open and look at the front tire and note a spot on ground say 6 inches that I need to back up and drive my truck back till I am at that spot and ussually it works every time.
Gerry
Hi: We bought our trailer this year...I've had my alignment device for almost 35 yrs!!! ... Sometimes I even listen!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...The first camera will be placed on the rear of the trailer because the Burro is wider than most and cars sneak up on us when we least expect it. The second will be on the van IF the first one works OK. But, the overtechnologizing (huh?) bothers me too.
I just think that two sticks is a more appropriate level of technology than a camera for judging the ball/coupler alignment. Seeing behind or past the trailer is another matter entirely, and I'm interested in a camera for that, too...it's just way down my to-do list!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
I have one of those plastic wide angle lens (about $10 at RV store) on the back window of my van, it sure does help seeing kids, dogs, cars, that are right behind you, in your blind spot.
I wouldn't be without it.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have one of those lenses on the Element.

My first trailer was a fold up (It didn't pop, it folded!) and it sat so low that I could not see it when towing.

At 400 pounds, I couldn't feel it either. The lens didn't do much for feel, but being able to see it was still back there was comforting.

I have a mirror that actually mounts on the trailer frame, near the coupler. It is on a pole and it arches over the coupler.

It works sort of in reverse of the Back Up buddy, but it's the same cancept. Instead of watching the coupler approach the ball, I watch the ball appraoch the coupler.

I have a light that goes in the pole when at camp and the mirror is stowed.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:51 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I have a mirror that actually mounts on the trailer frame, near the coupler. It is on a pole and it arches over the coupler.
Brand name Gina? I have a Backup Buddy and it works as advertised, but the stinger on my tug is looooong and it spend more time adjusting the mirror to the right angle than it takes to fuss around hooking up. Maybe what you've got would work better for me?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I just think that two sticks is a more appropriate level of technology than a camera for judging the ball/coupler alignment. Seeing behind or past the trailer is another matter entirely, and I'm interested in a camera for that, too...it's just way down my to-do list!
Hi: Two sticks is an appropriate level of technology for starting your camp fire Ya gotta love those dual purpose tools Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Donna,

The one I have is a seeyourhitch, and this website is the same one.

I knew he stopped calling them seeyourhitch due to some legal name infringement.

Now he calls it The Hitch Up Mirror

even if is url is still seeyourhitch.com
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks Gina.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I use exactly the same method as Gerry, but since I drive a van I hook up with the tailgate open and use the latch as the "center of tailgate" mark.

[b]I just don't think the problem needs that much technology.
Quote:
(I like the idea of opening the tailgate, but by that time there is too much "Stuff" packed in the rear.)

[b]But, the overtechnologizing (huh?) bothers me too.
I tow with an Odyssey, just like Per does. I usually have to fetch the trailer from storage, and bring it to the house for the final load-out, just before departure.

With the rear hatch open, and the back of the van empty, , I can strech high in my seat, hook my arm around the seat back, look between the 2 mid-row bucket seats, and watch the coupler ball directly as I am backing toward the trailer. I then sight align the ball with the tongue jack as I am backing. My only error is in depth perception, and I usually over-shoot my target by about 3". I then use Gerry's method to compensate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitchingup1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	5574
[attachment=6984:attachm
ent]
Attached Thumbnails
Hitchingup2.jpg   Hitchingup3.jpg  

Old 10-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Thumbs up

Its been to late to save my bumper ...but I recently got
the EZ-Hitch Trailer Guide EZ-HITCH & EZ-WORKHORSE PRODUCTS - Home and
its been the best for my Casita.....I'd tried the mirrors and the sticks....but
never got centered perfectly.....with the guideplate type....it
gets me centered perfectly.....and no marital strife ... the video
on their website shows how it worked........
BillandJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #20

Trailer: Teardrop
Registry
I use a back up camera mounted next to my license plate.
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote