hmmm a nationwide virtual rallye? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hmmm a nationwide virtual rallye?

was thinking it would be fun to have internet interconnectivity between groups that happened to be camping at different locations at the same time,,,then in my head a dark idea emerged.

what if we could put on the worlds first,,,and biggest nation wide interconnected ralley?

each state would have one or even more smaller rallys depending on their size. and all would be connected threw the web to.. chat,,, view webcams of activities,,,have interactive games and compititions amongst groups. such as camp site decoration contests,,, goofy outfit contests,, all sorts of things.

we could have video seminars on some aspect of fiberglass rving.
or maybe home made mini documentaries to show the others what we have around the particular campsite we are broadcasting from.

as i said ,,,its a dark idea emerging from some crevice in my cortex. having little idea or knowledge of computers,,,this could be an ITT's nightmare.

but what a wonderfull image of it all i have in my mind.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Be tough ensuring connectivity.

We did an online class last week though from a campground in IA that was piped out to China using Verizon mobile WiFi. How cool was that, people in China online?

CindyL
CindyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Interesting thought, but I really doubt it could fly. But who knows, there just might be others who would find it worth pursuing.

I go camping to get away from being connected to the web. If needed, I do check emails, but unless it is a long trip, that is about it.

The rally's I have attended are more about the people who are there, and interacting with them, as opposed to what is happening at the time elsewhere. Heck, I don't even seem to get enough time to chat as much as I would like with all the interesting people that attend the rally I am at, let alone spend time on the web.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
If would be great if members could also view it who are not camping and stuck at home. We can live vicariosly by watching ya'll activities and feel like we are there. Gotta have that fix, lol. Maybe just set up a laptop with webcam at the potlock table so we can hear/see etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I, for one, love the idea of a virtual rally. I've had my new 13' Scamp for almost one year now and have not found a rally near me or at a time I can attend. I am most interested in meeting the people who love fiberglass RVs and second of all I want to see how people decorate them inside and out.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
If would be great if members could also view it who are not camping and stuck at home. We can live vicariosly by watching ya'll activities and feel like we are there. Gotta have that fix, lol. Maybe just set up a laptop with webcam at the potlock table so we can hear/see etc.
Internet bandwidth would be the issue. And delivery to remote viewers. Feeding a live stream is a lot of data and it has to end up someplace folks could go to view the stream.

single laptop to single laptop video chat through skype might work, but if multiple people are going to view it there would have to be some sort of streaming video server in the middle to handle the load.

Sights like gotomeeting or breeze meeting servers can handle this, provided the laptop at the rally had the bandwidth to feed it.

Twitter feed maybe? Thats all text unless a picture is posted. Wife has used phone internet through laptop for Facebook posts. Maybe a Facebook page for the rally, laptop at rally for folks to post messages and pictures, if your "friends" with the rally those will show up on your facebook wall. But assumes you have a facebook account to participate.

Or possibly a thread here on the forum instead of facebook.

Just thinking out loud so to speak. Overall do like the idea of sharing the rally with folks that can't make it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
What if it went international?

[QUOTE what if we could put on the worlds first,,,and biggest nation wide interconnected ralley?

And included some Canadian Provinces?

each state would have one or even more smaller rallys depending on their size. [/QUOTE]
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote