Hobbies on the road? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 AM   #21

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Geocaching is a hobby the wife and I picked up after meeting some people who told us all about it last fall at the TearJerkers rally here in Maine.
We've been out and about in the area around our location in Western Maine and the White Mountains of NH but now that snow is on the ground we have left it off for the winter but I am sure while we are camping this summer we too will be out hunting down little treasures.
GPS unit is a Garman Etrex and it works great after useing an outdated Magellen from the early 90's
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul
Anne H, i'll show you mine if you will show yours?
ok before you get up set, i am talking about Pen and Inks art work.

http://www.terry-g.net/fineart/1scans/ink.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPOONEN3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	6697

We mainly "fish" any where i can get my mobility scooter and amasingly it fits inside of the U-haul door.
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:01 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: My hobby is D.I.Y. projects so just the act of hooking up the Boler and going camping is taking my hobby with me Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:05 AM   #24

Trailer: Lander (401)
Registry
Hi

This is my hobby: Vine & Food

Click image for larger version

Name:	rob.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	6698

I am very lazy!!!

ciao a tutti

Rob
robirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #25

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I'm with Rob . Cooking is my hobby (and that includes collecting cook books). I attempt things out camping that I probably would not do at home. After all, if you have to walk 20 miles to the nearest McDonalds, you are gonna eat what is is front of you .
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
If you ever see me on the road, then you know where I'm a headin' or returning from.

Small streams with a fly rod are me favorite destinations.
That would be us most of the time too Fred. I just bought a new fly rod land reel ast weekend.

I bought a color pencil set and a small sketch pad, I can't really draw but I'm going to try. I also like to collect drift wood and interesting rocks. Reading is good. So is setting in a lawn chair drinking a soda or a beer!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #27

Trailer: Eco 12 ft
Mostly, reading. OTOH, most of my "road time" is attached to a 53' moving trailer

When I'm out with the egg, kayaking/wildlife spotting.

I wish I still had the pictures of my kayak attached to the 5th wheel of the semi

Matt
Matt O'Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #28

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Taking in pleasant surroundings, photography, hiking, reading. Enjoying nature without having to sleep in a tent which must be taken down even if it rains cats and dogs.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #29

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am going camping with Rob.. see ya'll later!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:17 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Gina's huuuungry!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #31

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Richard's hobby is swearing. Lighting the furnace is the outlet for that hobby. He gets to practice his hobby on many a cold night.
My hobby is packing and taking a lot of craft materials which I never use because it's always so nice out, and there's a beautiful lake, or great sightseeing nearby, or people to visit with, or....

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #32

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I have a hard time sitting still, not doing something, so I really need some compact and easily portable hobbies for when Lynne and I are on the road. Reading and Internet stuff can occupy some time, but I need something more.

Sculpting and dimensional art would be nice, but it takes up a lot of space and can be kind of messy, so I think one artistic outlet I might turn to would be drawing and sketching. I'm set to take a class starting in April; we'll see how that goes.

Musical instruments would be another possibility. Many of them are compact, lightweight, and very portable. I really enjoy music, and have had a guitar hanging around the house for years waiting for me to pick it up and learn someday when I "have more time."

Perhaps, though, the reason why I haven't taken to the guitar yet isn't because I lack time, but because the guitar doesn't call to me. Perhaps I need another musical toy to hold my attention.

Studying some part of my family background would be a good hobby. I could even combine that with music in some way, honor my Scottish and British Isle roots by picking up the bagpipes!

I'm sure Lynne will be delighted . . .

P-)
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 AM   #33

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
Picking up the bagpipes....now, there's a great way to clear out the campground!!!
debbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
"Richard's hobby is swearing. Lighting the furnace is the outlet for that hobby. He gets to practice his hobby on many a cold night." I can SO relate . . . sometimes my dogs give me 'the stink eye' for such foul language.

What fun the gatherings will be with so many hobbies to find out about!!
For the novice artists - pick up 'Drawing on the right side of the brain" by Betty Edwards - everyone can draw!!

I'm not very musically inclined - but aside from my latest project with the Native American Flute, I have harmonicas and recorders (and I used to have a dulcimer) - all very easy to pack and learn to play.

And of course, Food and Wine!!! I too would love to camp near Rob!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #35

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Vic's passion is bicycling. He's a bicycle event promoter and puts on a 100-mile road ride, three 12-hour mountain bike endurance races and a bunch of mountain bike races including the California State Championships. So our '72 Trail Mite gets used as a timing station and as our home-away-from home at a race or when he's out scouting a route.

For some of the mountain bike events he uses a motorcycle to speed up the course scouting, course marking and course un-marking process. Which is what the photo below is about.

What do we do with our vacation time? We go to bike races! As much as he loves to put on a race he loves to participate even more. Since it's nearly impossible for him to ride in his own events, and since virtually all of the events in our area are his, we travel out of the area for him to get his competition fix.

On those trips he puts the shell on our Toyota and stows his main bike inside, along with his tools, bike clothing, extra wheels, tires, etc. His back-up bike and my bike go on the rear bumper bike rack of our Trail Mite.

Me, I'm a painter. My portable easel and paint box fit nicely under one of the storage hatches under the bed/dinette. We're both photo-buffs and our trusty Nikons and lenses fit in one of the hatches too.

We also love to kayak. Our two-seater is too long to fit in the bed of the Tacoma, so on trailer/kayak trips Vic puts a Yakima roof rack on the truck.

Finally,Vic almost always has his harmonica along and sometimes his guitar.

Whew!
Attached Thumbnails
TrailMiteWMoto.jpg  
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #36

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
While out n 'bout, depending on where we are ending up, depends what we take/do.
I have loaded my ipod with 3 days worth of equistical enjoyment (working on a 'killer' small sound system for the Trillium). Digital camera is usually on board too!
I love to BBQ and savor the 'differences' in various containers of "rotting grapes".

Walk/talk abouts are ALWAYS mandatory....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #37

Name: janel
Trailer: 77surfside TM 14 & 79 argosy
Alberta
Quote:
I have loaded my ipod with 3 days worth of equistical enjoyment (working on a 'killer' small sound system for the Trillium). Digital camera is usually on board too!
I love to BBQ and savor the 'differences' in various containers of "rotting grapes".
ipod with speakers is a great idea. i found a little sponge bob adaptor that runs on a 9 volt battery. sound quality leaves much to be desired, but extremely portable, and beach sand won't get in anywhere.

once the grapes start flowing, out comes the guitar. a great way to meet your neighbours. i reccomend learning an instrument to anyone with a little patience and time.
i have started to take a med sized tupperware container of stained glass supplies. if power is present i can grind and solder and complete a project.

BEWARE of indoor hobbies. not much room inside for projects on a rainy day, so grab the boots and rain gear and head out hiking. or you just might end up in my condition, expecting first addition to family two weeks before the official start to camping season.
janel
janel.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #38

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Wow! It's great to see all the artists here. For a long time, I didn't see anyone else involved in it.

I an artist and love plein aire. It's my greatest joy to capture the great beauty we camp in on canvas with oils.

Photography is another love of mine, reading, and traveling. We take our travel books along for the next voyage we are planning and do a lot of dreaming.

Oh, I should mention the cooking! I love to cook with the Dutch Ovens and use the recipes given so generously here.

Perhaps we should have a "paint out" and the next camp out?

Cheers!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #39

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
Hi Hobbiests,

This Santa Fe sunset made me reach for the watercolors!!

Anne, I play the indian flute also. It's real easy. It's on the pentatonic scale. You close all the holes and then start opening them from the bottom up. If it's a six hole, one of the middle ones stays closed all the time. I think the fourth from the bottom. You can't make a bad sound!!

Happy Trails, Spring is here!!
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #40

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
For me i love to hike after a leg injury a few years ago and that's when i discovered geocaching.... gives me a reason to walk and just about always find a treasure at the end.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote