Honda Generator Storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2022, 08:41 PM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Honda Generator Storage

In the past I have read hear or on similar forums suggestions as to how to treat your generator (Honda 2000 EU, in my case) when it is not going to be used for an extensive length of time.

I had break out my generator here in SW FL when Hurricane Ian hit and knocked out our power for several days.

Previous to that, I had stored it (for several years) without starting it. When I got it out after the hurricane, it started after just a few pulls.

I remember that I had treated it before storing it for those years. The storage treatment involved using the StaBil gas treatment product.

However, I do not recall the exact procedure that I read and used. I think it involved adding StaBil to about a pint of gas that was in the tank, running the generator until that gas mixture was almost used up....and then I think the procedure was to pour a little more StaBil into the tank just as the last few ounces of gas was used up and until the engine stopped running.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone knows what that procedure exactly is?

Thanks
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:44 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Honda storage from my 2200i book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
In the past I have read hear or on similar forums suggestions as to how to treat your generator (Honda 2000 EU, in my case) when it is not going to be used for an extensive length of time.
However, I do not recall the exact procedure that I read and used. I think it involved adding StaBil to about a pint of gas that was in the tank, running the generator until that gas mixture was almost used up....and then I think the procedure was to pour a little more StaBil into the tank just as the last few ounces of gas was used up and until the engine stopped running.
I use Sea Foam, mostly because it was commonly sold in my are fro 7$ / can. This year it is 8$. Note also that ethanol blends should never be used in non emergencies. Use it only if that's all there is. Note also the hour "METER" information.
Attached Thumbnails
honda storage.jpg   hour meter honda.png  

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:36 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
While I have used StaBil fuel additive successfully for several gas engines for extended lay-ups, (years in some cases,) I have converted my Honda EU2000i generator over to a dual fuel, (gas/propane,) after-market setup. I 've used my gen-set exclusively on "propane only" for several years now with excellent results and no problem with gunk and varnish building up in the fuel system. A brief shot of starting ether in the foam air intake sponge on the carbuerator, one pull of the starter cord, and I'm up and running. It has worked fine for several years now since I installed it. I find the BTU power loss between gasoline and propane, (which is slightly lower,) to be of insignificance when it comes to running it. Used mainly during winter storm power outages to supply essential loads, (fridge, freezer, TV for news and weather, and a few small convenience lamps. I heat a lot with my airtight woodstove since I have electric baseboard heaters which aren't all that great.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:41 AM   #4

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I have a Honda 5K that I use for power outages..of which we seem to have many here in the PNW. Or at least my area.
I run my generator every quarter, for about half an hour. I put a load on it, usually one about 500 watts in order to make it work. I don't pull start it...my shoulders just can't handle that anymore. I used the electric start.
Afterwards, whether I was just running it for maintenance or actually using it, I shut off the fuel instead of shutting it off. This way it empties the carburetor and once it stops running, THEN I shut it off at the switch. AND then store it with a trickle charger. I also use Stabil in the fuel itself.

I don't have a bottle of the Stabil in front of me, but If I recall, it's only a few ounces to five gallons of fuel.

Our power outages...Jerrybob and Casita Greg can attest to this...hit suddenly, usually without much warning and last for days. It's a real comfort to know I have the generator in the garage, all ready to work.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:16 PM   #5

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
I use stabil in the gas for my 2000, drain the carb when I am done, try to run it/use it at least 1/2 hour per month.

No problems 5 years, or so.

I don't "store it".
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #6

Florida
Thanks, but so far not what I was hoping for.

As I said, the treatment I was looking for allowed my Honda EU2000 to start up with no problems after probably 5 years without being started. We do not camp in sites without electricity (e.g. National Forest) much or at all any more as we get more senior. I was hoping that someone would remember the treatment that I used 5 or so years ago. I do not want to have to remember to do something every quarter or every year, if I can avoid it. What i did in the past worked perfectly over 5 years, so I am not looking to reinvent the wheel with a wheel that is not quite as round.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:31 PM   #7

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
Quote:
As I said, the treatment I was looking for allowed my Honda EU2000 to start up with no problems after probably 5 years without being started. We do not camp in sites without electricity (e.g. National Forest) much or at all any more as we get more senior. I was hoping that someone would remember the treatment that I used 5 or so years ago. I do not want to have to remember to do something every quarter or every year, if I can avoid it. What i did in the past worked perfectly over 5 years, so I am not looking to reinvent the wheel with a wheel that is not quite as round.
Sorry I wasted your time.........
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:45 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
I use stabil in the gas for my 2000, drain the carb when I am done, try to run it/use it at least 1/2 hour per month.

No problems 5 years, or so.

I don't "store it".
Thanks for posting your procedure for keeping your Honda ready to go when needed. Your write up certainly did not waste my time.

I always appreciate real life experiences, keep up the information dissemination, campers read and appreciate them.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:

I had break out my generator here in SW FL when Hurricane Ian hit and knocked out our power for several days.

Previous to that, I had stored it (for several years) without starting it. When I got it out after the hurricane, it started after just a few pulls.

I remember that I had treated it before storing it for those years. The storage treatment involved using the StaBil gas treatment product.

Thanks
I've never heard of that procedure??
Most people fill the tank mix in the recommended amount of stabilizer, run the machine a while then shut the fuel and run the carb dry. That way it's ready to go when needed.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
Sorry I wasted your time.........

I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I do appreciate any and all replies that try to help.

However, perhaps I did not state it clearly, but I am looking for the treatment that I used, probably found on one of the Casita sites, that allowed me to store my generator for over 5 years, and not having to run it every few months or even every year. Where i store the generator is not easy to get to, and starting it frequently would be big problem.

Searching on the Internet, I did find an article that said to drain the fuel tank and carburetor and then to use STA-BIL (22001) Fogging Oil. The fogging oil is sprayed into the air filter until the exhaust is smoking. Then the spark plug is taken out and the fogging oil is sprayed into the cylinder for 3 seconds. The article did not say this, but it seems like it would be good to then slowly pull the starter cord to turn the engine over a few times.

My question is whether any one has experience doing this. It is not what I did previously (because then I used only the StaBil gas treatment, but this new technique sounds good. Let me know if anyone has had good results.

Thanks (to all),
Old 12-06-2022, 01:35 PM   #11

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
It's in the book

Quote:
What i did in the past worked perfectly over 5 years, so I am not looking to reinvent the wheel with a wheel that is not quite as round.
It is too long for me to screenshot and post here and is too large to post but is in the manual that is posted on line. It's the over one year instructions in the second post above. Just search "eu2000i manual" on google.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:37 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Fogging oil

I’ve used fogging oil for over fifty years on outboard motors in the fall. It has worked for me and continues to work on my 1964 Johnson Seahorse that still runs like the day I brought it home in the spring of 1964. I use the procedure you described including pull the plugs and directly injecting into both cylinders. Of course that’s a two cycle engine but the concept is the same.
The CD21A will quit running two days after Hell freezes over.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:40 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Iíve used fogging oil for over fifty years on outboard motors in the fall. It has worked for me and continues to work on my 1964 Johnson Seahorse that still runs like the day I brought it home in the spring of 1964. I use the procedure you described including pull the plugs and directly injecting into both cylinders. Of course thatís a two cycle engine but the concept is the same.
The CD21A will quit running two days after Hell freezes over.
Iowa Dave
Thanks, I love that you still have that Johnson Seahorse still running like new. I have/had one that is almost the same vintage...just a 10HP, but weighs as much as a modern 25HP. It was running when last put away -- about 20 years ago, but I did not do any storage treatment. I doubt that I can even get it to turn over pulling the starter rope...but you have inspired me to try it, LOL.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #14

Name: bruce
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Run dry

Quote:

Thanks

I own 6 gasoline generators from the Honda 2K to 12,000 watt. (Texas coast). The only thing I do is make sure to shut off the gas petcock and let the generator run until it stops. That takes all the gas out of the carb. I never put Stabil in anymore but it does work. I think the new gasoline with no lead and some ethanol lasts longer without degrading. I have my 42 year old 4K Honda generator used to build my house that I start maybe every two years. It starts on the first pull after I turn on the petcock and wait a few minutes. I have had generators sit for 5 years with gas in the tank and start and run OK.
brucewarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:13 PM   #15

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
For my Honda EU2000i, when I want to store it for longer than a few months, I run it dry. Surprisingly, there will still be gas in the carburetor float bowl that has to be drained via the built in drain and valve.
Interesting that some have had good luck with storing gas for 5 years. I don't trust it, even with Stabil. I have had major trouble the one time I left ethanol gas in it for a couple of months. Otherwise I have never had a problem with gas up to 6-9 months old with Stabil.
After running it dry for storage, tank empty, my Briggs and Stratton started on the 2nd pull after a 5 year rest with new gas.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator