Honey pot recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #1

Name: Glenn
Trailer: lil snoozy
South Carolina
Honey pot recommendations

I don't know if this is the correct forum for my query, and I did search for past threads, however.... we are in the market for a good quality waste tote for when we can't use a sewer connection. Lots of differing opinions out there. I would like a 32 gal 4 wheel, preferably rubber tires. Any suggestions? Any ideas for the best way to transport the cart during travel?? Thanks and Happy Trails....
Gleam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleam B View Post
I don't know if this is the correct forum for my query, and I did search for past threads, however.... we are in the market for a good quality waste tote for when we can't use a sewer connection. Lots of differing opinions out there. I would like a 32 gal 4 wheel, preferably rubber tires. Any suggestions? Any ideas for the best way to transport the cart during travel?? Thanks and Happy Trails....
I have a Thetford that has served me well for about 6 years now. Its only a 12 gal. though - I prefer the smaller one as its easy to handle. A 32 gallon one is a biggy! Would probable have to pull it behind the car on the hitch to get it to the dump station assuming there was one close by & not down a public road as I would not be able to lift a full 32 gallon one into my vehicle.

I carry mine in the back of the truck & it doesnt take up much room if I put it up on its side. Put it in the back of the station wagon when I pulled with it as well. Just rinse it out after use and close it up - no smell issues. Someone here posted photos of a holder they built under the trailer for stowing away when empty.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Thetford has just redisgned their smarttote 2. The 12 gal. Modelis a good basic tote but as small as it is with the top input you can have elevation issues with low output outlet trailers. I am moving up to an 18 gal. with the low input hose. Not all the new designed models are out yet.
Just waiting for the realse of the 4 wheel model.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I can't find any totes that hold more than 30 gallons. How big is your black holding tank and what is the need for that big a tank? Gotta say, it's gonna be huge, heavy, and difficult to manage when full and a PITA to carry along. Did I mention that it would be very heavy?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Ordinary water weighs a bit over 8 lbs per gallon so a 30 gallon one would weigh over 240 lbs. difficult to handle and impossible to pick up. Even a 12 gallon one would weigh about 100 lbs.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I have the 32 gal blue waste tank. It has the hitch adapter to pull slowly behind a vehicle. It has served me well for about 15 years. I like having the bigger one because I know it's not going to get to full and then have a mess.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
32 Gallons X 8.3 lbs/gal. = 266 lbs. You not only need rubber wheels, you should think of a self propelled tote. (A lawn mower engine, a miniature golf cart?)

The one Carol suggested, 12 gallons, would be about the max I would want to handle. I'll have to take a look at it as a step up from my five gallon dry wall mud bucket. Yeah, pretty stinky...
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

The 32 gal I have has hard plastic wheels. It has lasted me like I said 15 plus years. You drive slow pulling behind the truck. Then you simply hook the sewer hose up and tilt one end so your not lifting the whole tank. I would rather have the bigger one like I said even if your black tank is 12 gal. Over fill a smaller one with waste tank water or even fill it up and then you have a mess. I was just saying I like the extra room.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I agree here, papa-t, overfilling one of those totes would be much worse even than my primitive way of handling it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
27 gallon Thetford

We have 27 gallon Thetford, which I am able to hand pull to dump sites. Its handle is designed to hook over a 2" trailer ball and I have done it that way, but feel the exercise of hand towing is beneficial. I'm neither big nor strong, but am able to tow it up mild grades manually. I've never had occasion to lift the whole device when full. It is designed to drain when lying flat or slightly tilted toward the rear. It will nearly hold the contents of both tanks on a Scamp 19, so only one trip to the dump station is needed.
The biggest hassle with it is hauling it in our pickup as we have a large tool box in the front of the bed, so the tanks has to be fitted around the tailgate to get it in after hooking up the Scamp. I'm thinking about getting a rack for the rear to carry it as it's not very heavy.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleam B View Post
Many Campgrounds have a honey wagon service. They will come to your campsite and empty your grey and black water tanks, for a fee. But a lot less mess. WC
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Thetford has just redisgned their smarttote 2. The 12 gal. Modelis a good basic tote but as small as it is with the top input you can have elevation issues with low output outlet trailers. I am moving up to an 18 gal. with the low input hose. Not all the new designed models are out yet.
Just waiting for the realse of the 4 wheel model.
My grey tank comes off the side so its not been a problem to drain it - I have the cap that has the garden hose fitting on it so I can use that to drain to the portable holding tank - the tank actually came with a short piece of hose. My black tank discharge pipe is straight down but clearance depending on the ground can as you say be a problem so i sacrificed an old slinky hose and made up a very short one of about a 2' that has worked well. But then again having the smaller tank means its not as thick so it doesnt need a great deal of clearance.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
The 32 gal I have has hard plastic wheels. It has lasted me like I said 15 plus years. You drive slow pulling behind the truck. Then you simply hook the sewer hose up and tilt one end so your not lifting the whole tank. I would rather have the bigger one like I said even if your black tank is 12 gal. Over fill a smaller one with waste tank water or even fill it up and then you have a mess. I was just saying I like the extra room.
I guess the question for me is how do you handle the situation when the dump station is no where near where your camping - which is often the case when camping in BML sites for example?

Obviously you can't go driving 10 miles down the highway with it behind you or can you?
Old 02-14-2015, 06:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I guess the question for me is how do you handle the situation when the dump station is no where near where your camping - which is often the case when camping in BML sites for example?

Obviously you can't go driving 10 miles down the highway with it behind you or can you?
Well all campgrounds or parks I camp at have a dump station at the entrance. So the most is a 1/4 drive and I take my time and drive slow. If I'm boondocking a few days I rough it and only use what I have until I return home or find a campground or Flying J to dump.

Tags
eco