A couple of thoughts:
First, when I read the story in the link I realized that this child's tragic death was not a simple "accident". According to the article the trailer was plugged into a rusty outlet with a broken ground wire and "...from an external outlet on the trailer that was hanging by its wires." That's a recipe for disaster!
The author of the article recommends that "For $30 or less, RV owners can get a digital voltmeter or, even better, a noncontact AC tester, available at any hardware store. When pointed at the RV from up to a foot away, it will light
up and beep if there’s a problem." That sounds like a handy gadget to have.
Before we plug into any campground pedestal we do the following: 1. turn off the pedestal so that it isn't energized, 2. plug in our Receptacle Tester (find them at any hardware store), 3. check that the proper lights
are lit up on the tester (it can detect incorrect wiring, open ground, reverse polarity, open hot, open neutral, and reversed hot/ground), 4. turn pedestal back off, unplug tester and plug in our power cord, 5. turn pedestal back on.
Only once have we encountered a problem. I don't remember specifically what was wrong with the pedestal, but we decided to move to another site. When we told the campground staff why we were moving they seemed alarmingly unconcerned about the situation.