How do you back up? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #41
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
First rule of backing is just don't sweat it. Most of the time I do really well. I just take it slow, use my mirrors and go for it. Once in a while, though, I have those times when I back in a zig-zag. Not to worry, I still get it where it needs to go. Just do it and don't worry about it.

I took a trip about a year ago and I even had a tad bit of trouble getting out of my short driveway. Something that never happens. That entire trip I was backing challenged.

It really doesn't bother me. Besides, I'm a girl and it makes the guys feel a whole lot better when I don't do so good.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #42

Trailer: 94 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Advice if it's applicable to your tug:

A longtime trailering guy taught me to use four wheel drive whenever I'm manuevering the trailer. You can get a better feel for small movements and make more precise ones in 4WD.
AZCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #43

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...A longtime trailering guy taught me to use four wheel drive whenever I'm manuevering the trailer. You can get a better feel for small movements and make more precise ones in 4WD.
I find that very strange. Is there any explanation why this would be the case, and what type of 4WD system it applies to?

With a traditional "part time" 4WD, the front tires would fight any attempt to turn (because they need to go faster than the rears, and can't without slipping), which would seem to me to be counterproductive. I suppose with a "full-time" 4WD (anything with a centre differential, sometimes called All-Wheel Drive) the tug might turn better, but it's hard to see this as significant. With any of the systems which only engage the second drive axle when there is slippage (also often called All-Wheel Drive), it seems to me that 4WD wouldn't matter...

I suppose if the 4WD system has two ranges (the traditional 2H/4H/4L choice), then the low range (normally available only in 4WD mode) would be better for creeping slowly, but then it's the gearing and not the number of driven wheels which matters.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #44

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
When we had the Boler (also the PlayPac and the cargo trailer I'm converting...), I get "close" then unhitch and shove the trailer into position. If you're not willing to take advantage of the fact your trailer weighs next to nothing... why bother?

Once in fact, I unhitched, pulled the Van out of the way and got out to find my two kids (then about 7 and 9 years old) pushing the Boler back across the turf all by themselves!

Short of that - I basically stink at backing up and end up going back and forth a lot.

It isn't bad if I just have to go straight - but pulling into that 90-degree turn THEN backing up just kills me!

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #45

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Kurt must learn to back into HIS ROOM!!!!!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #46

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I've been naughty and sent to bed without desert

We have some of those cheap walkie talkies that help when trying to get into a tight spot
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #47

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Ditto that Kurt, but moreso lately I just YELL and she TRYS, LOL!!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:30 AM   #48

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Sigh....Why oh why didn't I read this thread BEFORE backing through a large section of fence?

The problem is, I have back into an uphill spot through deep loose gravel on a 90 degree corner. The fence I hit is on the passenger side out of any sort of view and angles in closer toward the back of my parking spot. The gravel is deep and soft enough that if I go slow the truck bogs down and digs its rear axle in. So...I must line up and take a run at it. Sounds like a recipe for disaster huh?

It is...

Things to do..

get mirrors that actually show the sides of the trailer. The rear camera idea was neat but it really doesn't replace proper rear view mirrors. On the upside it is amusing to watch the guy behind you shaking his fist when he can't get by on the highway...

Move parking slabs over as far from that fence as I can....

Try to convince the wife that paving the drive isn't really that expensive....(maybe a few more holes in the fence will help here...)
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 PM   #49

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Ventura (Made by Venture
Quote:
I have been wondering how the majority of trailer owners back up their trailers.
Do you look over your shoulder or do you use your mirrors?
I personally back using only my mirrors and find that it is the easiest way there is to back a trailer.
I thought of this because I see we have several new members to the travel trailer community that are new to backing up a trailer and thought some advice to them would help.

John
I'm one of the back up newbies, so I need all the help I can get! I know to put my hands on the bottom of the steering wheel etc. It took me 1/2 an hour of inching back & delicately from side to side to get the Ventura hooked up to take it to the RV shop. I ordered those back up helper thingies that are supposed to line up & when one topples over, you've arrived. I read every post on this subject & laughed more than I have in ages; I needed that. I see there really is hope.
colleenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #50

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
Gotta love WiFi, we are in Loreto, Baja California Sur and after a day on Mex 1 a little back up humour (Cdn spelling) is just what I needed. Today I backed under a bouganvilla tree and the back 3 feet of my Escape is enveloped beautifully with flowers Geez I even made it with one try.

Not like the other day when I nearly wiped out a palapa at los Cocos on the Bahia Conception. With a little help from a new neighbour and no help from my wife we sorted that one out.

Our only problemo is the JRV Monitor lights, the holding tanks are empty and they continue to show 3/4 full - guess I will have to read all the posts on FRV and work that out.

Off to La Paz tomorrow. Mex 1 is a narrow highway with few shoulders and for the most part so far down is in good shape. Just outside Guerreo Negro the road has been widened to at least 20 feet with shoulders. After driving I-5 and surviving the LA freeways, Mex 1 is a lot more relaxing.

Gerry & Verna
"The Escapists"

PS: We have found Wi-Fi connections at several RV parks, including this one at US$14 a night, with clean nice showers and facilities.
Gerry W is offline   Reply With Quote