How do you get rid of a trailer you really don't want to get rid of? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Once you start using the new larger camper it will be easier to let go of the smaller one.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #22

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It's tough, and a known thing. There's already a ton of good advice here. There was a study where they offered people a coffee mug, asking how much they'd pay for it. Let's say they said $5 on average.

Now they gave people the coffee mug, for free. Then asked how much it would take to buy it from them, to get them to part with it. Well now someone who may not have felt it was even worth buying at $5 or slightly less won't let it go for even $10. Once you own something, it suddenly becomes more valuable.

There's also sentimental value, which is why I tend to turn anything down which might "own" me, in a way. I don't want any of my Mom's furniture or anything like that. How do you decide to get rid of something with that history and attachment? I just never take it in the first place.

I've gotten rid of 70% of what I own over the last 5 years. But I still have more than I can fit in my truck and trailer. Some of these things have been stored in a friends house for the whole 5 years. But every time I go back and dig through it...I just don't want to get rid of anything else, even if I haven't used it that whole time. It's tough.

Yeah, that thing you haven't used in 5 years really might come in handy someday down the road. But if you didn't have that thing, would it be worth it for you to buy it? Most of the time the answer is no.

There is definitely something to holding on to things you'll only very rarely use. Certain tools, certain toys. Hard to know always which ones to part with and which ones not to. Something tells me that when you get to the point of asking people for advice on an internet forum, it might say something. Depends on whether you're looking for permission to keep it, or for permission to get rid of it, or really just unbiasedly (not a word but you get the point) asking.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #23

Name: Art
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Tear Drop

The reason I am thinking about getting rid of the Tear drop is with the new egg, it won't be needed. I still like camping out of it in extremely cold weather, actually much superior to a Casita from what I've been reading on this forum. The trailer that it's sitting on is set up exactly how I want it for carrying canoes and everything else I mess around with. Since I just put a new axle on it with brakes, I am not in a hurry to get rid of it. Besides, getting a new trailer licensed in Pa is a major hassle. I'll be retiring in five or so years. When I buy my retirement home, I may just have room for the teardrop to be sitting off to the side somewhere where it won't be in the way. Then I could purchase a harbor freight trailer and mount the tear and then put a for sale sign on it. Trying to dispose of a teardrop camper without any wheels under it just does not appeal to many people. Right now it's in the way since I live in a parsonage. Since I can be moved at any time, I like to keep my life as simple and as uncomplicated as possible. If the tear wasn't currently sitting on my trailer, I'd go canoeing much more often. I'd also take on some of those jobs hanging over my head if I didn't have to take the cap off my truck to make those jobs go easier. The advantage of a utility trailer over a truck bed is the height. I am getting older and don't like lifting things so high.
ae6black is offline   Reply With Quote