How do you get rid of a trailer you really don't want to get rid of? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #1

Name: Art
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
How do you get rid of a trailer you really don't want to get rid of?

How do you get rid of a trailer that you really don't want to get rid of? I freely admit that I have an emotional attachment to the teardrop that I made and have used for cold winter camping for the past 6 years. It's served it's purpose well. But the unit is sitting on top of a trailer that I value more than I do the removable teardrop that I mounted on it. I know I'd use the trailer more if the teardrop wasn't mounted on it, but I really still like it. My problem is that I am 6 years older than I was when I built the teardrop. Age has made me want a bathroom, thus the reason I ordered a 2019 Casita Spirit Deluxe. The problem is I still like my teardrop and hate to part with it. However if I did, I know I'd use the canoes and kayaks that have been sitting around the place unused more than they've been used since my teardrop has been sitting on the trailer that my Dad and I designed and had built to our specializations forty years ago just so we could carry 18 foot canoes. With a bathroom the new Casita can still be used for the winter camping I do if it's winterized and I put a porta potty in the shower room. However living in someone elses's home makes storage of multiple trailers a sensitive issue. Pulling the multiple ticks off my dog will be much easier in the Casita than it's been in the teardrop for the past few years. So what do you do? Anybody out there have more wisdom than me? My tear doesn't cost me anything to hold on to but keeping it hampers my ability to take my canoes and kayaks out for a quick ride.

Art
ae6black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Time to build a rack overtop the teardrop, to hold your canoes!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I guess you should be talking to a professional counselor if you are struggling to let go of something you no longer need in your life that needs to be let go of.

Of course in the long run you are the only person who can fix yourself, no one can do that emotional, mental work for you. It has to come from within. So get on with it, take the first steps and make it happen.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I would sell off the teardrop as is and use the money to buy a new flatbed trailer. Seems like a no brainer to me. Someone in your area would probably love to get a teardrop ready to go and flatbeds are cheap.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:44 PM   #5

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
When I realized I had not played my french horn in 20 years, I took a picture of it (which I do look at once in a while) and sold it to high school girl. I realized that instrument should be out in the world making music, not sitting closed up in my attic. It makes me happy to think of someone enjoying it and making beautiful music.

Perhaps your teardrop camper can bring someone great joy and experience in nature that it cannot do sitting in your garage.

Maybe the proceeds could fund a canoe trailer!
RuthWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
You've already made the decision to move on for very sound reasons. You've already put the new plan in action. Since the teardrop is now part of the trailer, sell them together and make/build a new trailer if/when you need one.

I have a feeling that once it's gone you won't miss it. Sometimes things we once loved, just become burdens. If we saved everything we ever had that was kinda cool, we'd be hoarding and smothered by the amount of stuff. Simplifying is liberating, and you don't have to watch things deteriorate.

When I finally decide to clean house, I don't even care how much I get for things. The rewards come in other ways. And I'm never sorry.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:45 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Friends with a teardrop had little side tents attached, one for the porta-potty the other for a little place to take off wet or muddy shoes.
I know what your mean though, I also got myself a Casita with a bathroom, much for the same reason but I can not seem to let go of the 79 Boler1300.
Or my collection of guitars.
I only have 2 hands, why do I need 3 guitars???
At the Spring Fling I will bring both campers along and set up the Boler as a display because in the past 2 years there has only been one other Boler come and this year he wont be making it so it will be nice to have one at the RALLY.
But I should really let it go....what to do, what to do???
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #8

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Watch “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo” on Netflix. It’s about letting go.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #9

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Post an ad, meet the buyer, take their money, wave goodbye and go have a beer.

Pretty easy process at the end the day!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Advertise here in the For Sale area! Ours sold in two days to good folks who we knew would take good care of our baby! We bought our escape the day it went on line here!!! Verrrry happy! These are all good folks here and take care of their rvs ! You’ll be happy!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

I don't think he's confused about the sales process.

It's the emotional process of letting go of something he built and had fun with, but that no longer suits his needs. It's not always easy to let go of prized possessions. For me too, procrastination can factor into it.

Waving goodbye is the last step after all the rest have been made.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trailers are like wives. It’s hard to love two at the same time.

I suspect when the new trailer comes, it will be a lot easier to let go of the old one.

Let’s not press this analogy too far, though... Trailers are not wives!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #13

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Just keep thinking how nice the money will be! We just sold our enclosed cargo trailer on Sunday and I was super thrilled to deposit the monies in the bank on Monday. I'm thrilled that someone else will get use out of it after we got our use out of it.

Granted, we didn't build it nor did we have an emotional attachment to it.

Just think how much someone else can use it and start thinking how much you'll enjoy your new trailer (with a bathroom!).

Have a farewell party. And then list it on craigslist or wherever and get ready to fill out a bill of sale. Oh, and don't forget to state in your listing that you have the title. I was asked that multiple times on our cargo trailer; I guess not everyone is the legal owner and they're probably stolen.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I think the underlying trailer having been a project built by the original poster and his father for the purpose of hauling canoes has more value to the OP than the teardrop now sitting on it.

One has to consider how portable is the teardrop? Can a buyer just drop it on about any flatbed or utility trailer? Or is it pretty much custom to the existing trailer?

May have to do some looking around to see what you can buy as a trailer to haul canoes and kayaks and make sure the sale of the teardrop will cover your replacing the underlying trailer. Or you may need to locate a trailer that teardrop will fit on in order to have a complete unit to sell if you keep the current underlying trailer.

Keeping teardrop after you have a new trailer will stop making sense, especially if it keeps you from having ready use of canoes and kayaks. Planning to sell when the prices are best (early spring before summer camping season) would obviously make the most sense. Sort of gives you a deadline for being ready to proceed.

Letting go is easy IF you decide you want to let go of the item. If you don't you won't. Neither choice is good or bad as long as the choice works for you. When and if you decide it's time to act then it will be the time to act.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

If you don't want the beer, send mike and I the money and we'll have one for you !
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:27 PM   #16

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Keep or Sell?

OMG -ticks on your dog? Get Revolution.
Kayaks/canoes go on top of your vehicle while pulling your new Casita, or your old teardrop. But you're gonna love your new FRG with a tickless dog.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #17

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Sometimes we own stuff, sometimes stuff owns us.

Once you stop agonizing over getting rid of something, and actually get rid of it, you will know what true freedom is: the freedom from stuff owning you.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #18

Name: Kat
Trailer: UHaul
Florida
Hi Art. I'm curious about why you are having a hard time letting go of the teardrop? Can you say more about that?

Kat
kmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Shed a teardrop.. and then shed a tear drop. Life goes on.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #20

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You just do it. You have no doubt already let go of people, places and things you miss. There is no magic formula for this. You just do it. Post the ad and get on with it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote