How do you rate PRIVATE campgrounds? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Ammenity Value in PRIVATE parks ~ Whats important to you?
Must have body of water onsite or within walking distance (Beach, Lake, River) Nearby 9 15.52%
Vegitation (Trees etc) 8 13.79%
Rugged Area (Mountains, Desert, Cliffs) 0 0%
Nearby Hiking 1 1.72%
Nearby Other Sports (Boating, Hunting, Fishing, ATV, Biking) 0 0%
Farming, Ranching area 0 0%
Close to Urban Ammenities (Shopping etc) 0 0%
Remote area (Nothing available .. don't forget ciggies or beer!) 6 10.34%
Proximity to Highways or Interstates 1 1.72%
Security 2 3.45%
Owner/Host Presence/visibility/Policing. 3 5.17%
Cleanliness 14 24.14%
General LOCATION, proximity to planned agenda (What ever that may be!) 13 22.41%
Lack of Full-timers! 1 1.72%
Proximity to good Okra eatin! 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Very well explained Bonnie.

I see most of you want to come into full amenities after roughing it by swimming among the trees but you really don't care if you have to trudge through the dirt to get there..

I ran across a national Poll of "RVers" thats a bit old, but so far, we, as egger's, seem to have slightly different ideas than they do about accommodation's and what we think is important enough to pay a premium for. Some, for basics, is identical. I will post that page after we get a few more votes.. (Science! Woo Hoo!) and see how we REALLY compare!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
My answers closely followed the most popular choices so far in the poll. This, is suppose, makes me "normal"... it's a strange feeling, and one to which I am not accustomed.

I was a little hesitant in my answers because priorities vary from trip to trip, and even night to night, depending on the purpose of the trip or stay. For instance, I normally want natural surroundings, but have seriously considered a WalMart lot for one night when we just wanted to sleep for a while and get moving again.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
If I'm just in transit, I don't really care - but that's about the only time I stay in private campgrounds - or, if there's nothing else available at my destination (outside a couple Nat Parks in Utah).
As with any place, I care most about privacy, natural surroundings, and pet-friendly. The fewer yahoos and children the better. Generally, clean showers and a laundry are very nice to have since I may be boondocking the rest of the time.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We're new to this "camping" thing so you'll have to keep these comments in context. Also we're sailors ... meaning our other camper is a 38ft (fiberglass) sailboat that we cruise in the Bahamas over the winter ... yeah, yeah, tough work but somebody has to do it. Note that this means that we're used to being the only boat anchored off a pristine beach for days at a time or swimming up dinner off the back of the boat when the urge strikes. So far, camping has a way to go even if the Berkshires are cooler in summer.

To us, camping in campgrounds seems like tying up at a marina except on land there doesn't seem to be a reasonable alternative. On our boat last year, we stayed in a marina exactly one day out of 150 and that was so that we could conveniently clear customs entering the Bahamas.

Private campgrounds like KOA's seem cramped for space and although they have all the hook-ups, we prefer not to use our facilities except in emergencies so the hike to the head (that's toilet for you landlubbers) is important and most KOAs strike out in that regard even if they tend to be nicer and cleaner than many marinas we've stayed at. Also even though they advertise wireless internet, most charge for the privilege not unlike marinas, ... why bother? The rates are terrible too... $35/night ... jeez! They should provide free gas at those rates.

So far, Florida's State Parks beat the private campgrounds by a mile. Can't say for the other states or NPs ... FSPs have mainly fairly private sites in natural settings with water and electric but no sewer (except dump stations). I don't consider pull-through or back-in to be an issue with our Scamp. FSP rates are also cheaper than KOA's but still $18 or $20 per night seems excessive.

We're considering a camping trip out west next summer, maybe Colorado or Arizona ... Any recommendations?

By the way, in some ways it seems like we've screwed up this Federalism, Republic, States-rights thing. Take fishing licenses ... in the Bahamas, my customs fees cover fishing anywhere I go ... here, I need to pay-up separately in every state. How 'cum my Florida driver's license is good in Massachusetts?

Anyway, as somebody once said ...'beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy'
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #25

Registry
Cleanliness is no surprise.. I seem to feel comfortable in clean surroundings, no matter WHAT the general area is like. Clean = secure.. to me anyway.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
I have stayed at a couple of private campgrounds where the main draw was access to natural surroundings such as hot springs, ocean view, river access or desert surroundings. Natural surroundings are the biggest draw but accessibility, privacy and pet friendliness also weigh in. I prefer places where the general location is conducive to my other plans, where the campground is clean and it's a bonus if it is remote or has natural features such as trees, ocean, desert, canyons or a body of water nearby.

As others have mentioned, it makes a difference if the campground is a stopover, a place to stay while you are doing other activities (music festival...) or whether the campground itself is the main draw.

Charlene
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
what is WIFI?????
I have never stayed where cable was available, and that is not a priority, and I am not missing WIFI, as I don't know what it entails.
What is it (I am thinking some type of wireless)?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
what is WIFI?????
I have never stayed where cable was available, and that is not a priority, and I am not missing WIFI, as I don't know what it entails.
What is it (I am thinking some type of wireless)?
It is a way for laptop computers to connect to the Internet.
Quote:
Wi-Fi (or Wi-fi, WiFi, Wifi, wifi), short for "Wireless Fidelity", is a set of product compatibility standards for wireless local area networks (WLAN) based on the IEEE 802.11 specifications. New standards beyond the 802.11 specifications, such as 802.16(WiMAX), are currently in the works and offer many enhancements, anywhere from longer range to greater transfer speeds.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
The "Supersite" posts have spawned this poll.
I have been interested in this aspect of travel for a while. I have been trying to determine some way of interpreting "ratings" of various types when reading about campgrounds - usually with little success. I hope your poll gets sufficient response that the results can be published and make a difference in the future.

We tend to tent or "dry" trailer camp - occasionally with electric hookup. The MOST important thing to us in a campground is clean, comfortable washroom and shower facilities. Using facilities that are damp, not too clean, "slimy-floored" with wet counters and no shelves for "stuff" while washing up or hooks for clothing/towels - etc etc etc - is the biggest turn-off in the world. There are VERY few outfits that have taken the time and trouble to provide decent facilities - I even wonder if those who design&build these seasonal facilities ever try to use them.

As for the rest, not being crammed together like a bus at rush-hour, maintained grounds and a friendly atmosphere make a stay worth the trip.
rmacivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #30

Registry
Here is a link to a poll done by RVERS online

It is interesting to see how much we have in common with the Big Boys (Which is where most of these answers came from) but it is even more interesting to note how DIFFERENT we are with our smaller rigs... or, at least the attitude we have with them.

WE have a tendency to "Camp" for the camping, and not the amenities, where the big guys are mostly the opposite when it comes to choosing a space.

We both seem to be the same if it's just for an overnite.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #31

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Privacy and natural surroundings are our biggest criteria, so as a rule we avoid private campgrounds. As you all know, being sandwiched between larger RVs can be annoying. Yet we've stayed in State and Federal Parks where, due to the layout, we had no privacy, little in the way of natural surroundings, and were situated between monster RVs. We'd go for a walk and could hardly find our Burro! Generally DNR or other less devloped campgrounds suit our purposes, but as many have stated, when in route compromises are made.
Having said that, we had to stay in Great Falls MO in 98 to receive an award for my ailing Dad from the Lewis & Clark Trail Hertiage Foundation. We stayed in a small, lovely, quiet, treed private campground just out of town. Not much visual privacy, but felt private and serene, a green oasis to return to each HOT day we were in GF. So some private campground owners know how to do it right.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote