How Do You Take Care of Your Vacant Home When Travelling? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #61

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
To the OP's question.

We live in the country, a small neighborhood.

We've gone away for the winter for the last couple years and leave in Jan this year till Apr. We have the oil tanks filled, turn off the water, forward the mail to my son, prepay the bills that aren't on autopay (town stuff), hire the neighbor across the street to do the driveway, put a chunk of $ in the checking, tell a couple other neighbors we're going away, turn the thermostats. Move the car to my sons house so the neighbor doesn't have it in the way for plowing. Clear out the fridge and freezer of anything that can go bad and stink, in case power goes out. Discontinue Netflix, tell the bank and Visa where we'll be.

When we've gone away for months in the summer/fall we've had our son stop in a few times and do the grass.

Mail forwarding is kind of sketchy in our town, usually takes at least a week longer then it should to be forwarded and the same when I restart it when we get back. Temporary forward is only good for 30 days here, I do the regular forward which lasts till you stop it. You can do forwards on line.

If a bill comes in my son scans it and sends it to me, I pay them on line. He also swings by once in a while and makes sure it's still standing.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #62

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Good answer Jon, figure it out in small steps first.
:the good item for travelling South of the Border for you folks is the warm states you have year round. Canada has only cold and colder in the north to travel year round in. Though I would love to go to Alaska when the first snows show up.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:29 PM   #63

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I'd like to express my appreciation for all the posts here. I was trying to let people get in and post without dominating the conversation, but then I failed to acknowledge all the time that folks took to offer information and ideas.

Now that we've hauled "Salish Sea" home from Chilliwack, we'll be looking to travel more and plan to review this thread again.

So, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1518 25.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:15 AM   #64

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I'd like to express my appreciation for all the posts here. I was trying to let people get in and post without dominating the conversation, but then I failed to acknowledge all the time that folks took to offer information and ideas.

Now that we've hauled "Salish Sea" home from Chilliwack, we'll be looking to travel more and plan to review this thread again.

So, thanks!
:Mike being that it is a tandem trailer you got the best going as far as a molded trailer gets.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #65

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, Mike, on the new Escape 21! Beautiful rig. Someone looks very happy in your photo...

Interesting name. I'm guessing you could spend a lifetime exploring the nooks and crannies of the Salish Sea in a land yacht.

Happy travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:06 AM   #66

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
nice

mike you have a beautiful set-up as for our stuff we do as you do we have managed now to get everything on auto pay. we have left for as long as 6 weeks we have not tried 2 or 3 mos yet.

our yard is at least 3 acres carved out of oak tree forest been working on it for 42 years now and it still will not grow grass well I have spent many hours and money trying to create that beautiful grass landscape I guess it just isn't going to happen on our 50as I don't know why?

I have 3k in just leaf blowing equipment 3 stihl backpack blowers a huge self propelled job and a pickerupper cart with an engine on it! at 76 and health problems its too much but I am going one more year. I did it last fall with new rods put in my back.

camping is great though

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #67

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
our yard is at least 3 acres carved out of oak tree forest been working on it for 42 years now and it still will not grow grass well I have spent many hours and money trying to create that beautiful grass landscape I guess it just isn't going to happen on our 50as I don't know why?
Bob,

I once had a scrappy-looking lawn underneath a handsome pine tree, so I fertilized and put down lime to counteract the acidity of the soil. The result was a great improvement to the lawn, and the near-death of the tree. After that, we let the acidity take over and went with some salal and other native plants that would thrive along with the tree.

Right now, I'm with you; I'm much more interested in heading out and seeing more of what lies beyond our little yard here.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #68

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Interesting name. I'm guessing you could spend a lifetime exploring the nooks and crannies of the Salish Sea in a land yacht.
Happy travels!
Perhaps we could! On the other hand, it's probably more a matter of where we are from than where we are going to.

We looked at names of some of the famous trains, like the City of Los Angeles which travelled between LA and Chicago. Those named-trains always seem to evoke a sense of romance and adventure. Somehow that morphed into Salish Sea, our own little "private car".

Old 02-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #69

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:Mike being that it is a tandem trailer you got the best going as far as a molded trailer gets.
Stude
Hey, I thought so too at first, but can you believe they showed us a shiny new trailer during orientation and then showed a half hour later with this dirty thing in Sumas?!?

Okay, that's just my idea of humor. We are in fact very grateful to have this combination. It towed easily and we are already looking for opportunities to take it out while I am wrapping up my final year or two of working.

As an interesting side note, last Friday we were apparently the first, or at least among the first, to use the new "orientation room". Escape has built an electrical panel and appliances into a room in their main building to demonstrate the trailer's equipment. This includes a refrigerator, furnace, water heater and air conditioner, all wired and operable. The room is nicely set up with couches, though we found ourselves standing so we could touch and point at things as we discussed the various controls. It's quite the setup.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #70

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
We looked at names of some of the famous trains, like the City of Los Angeles which travelled between LA and Chicago. Those named-trains always seem to evoke a sense of romance and adventure. Somehow that morphed into Salish Sea, our own little "private car".
Got me thinking of an Arlo Guthrie song, "City of New Orleans". I wonder how many named trains there were?

On edit: originally by Steve Goodman.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote